IP/PSTN interoperabilty

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Pete Calvert, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Pete Calvert

    Pete Calvert Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking for information on what are the different options available
    to create voice calls between PSTN phones and IP phones.

    I'm looking for information on different protocols and standards. I know
    the main VoIP protocols available are H.323 and SIP, but I'd like to know
    how these interoperate with each other and also with PSTN. Also what
    implementations are available and how complete are they. I'd prefer open
    source if possible.

    Other areas I'm interested in are:
    interoperability between PSTN and GPRS, in particular NAT as I understand
    that is a problem
    MoIP - I know there is V.150.1 but I can't find much information about
    it, has anyone implemented it? Are there any other standards to do this?

    I'm really looking for good sources of information to get started.

    Thanks for any help

    Pete

    Pete Calvert, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Pete Calvert

    Hank Karl Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:01:15 +0100, "Pete Calvert"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for information on what are the different options available
    >to create voice calls between PSTN phones and IP phones.
    >
    >I'm looking for information on different protocols and standards. I know
    >the main VoIP protocols available are H.323 and SIP, but I'd like to know
    >how these interoperate with each other and also with PSTN. Also what
    >implementations are available and how complete are they. I'd prefer open
    >source if possible.

    Another spec to read is G.799.1 "Functionality and Interface
    Specifications for GSTN Transport Network Equipment for
    Interconnecting GSTN and IP Networks" (GSTN is General Switched
    Telephone Networks, and includes PSTN)

    Hank Karl Eastern Regional Manager
    +1 (203)207-0047 www.nine-9s.com

    Representing: