IP problems with ad-hoc wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SWFpbg==?=, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. I am trying to create an ad-hoc wireless network between two computers:

    1) Desktop, WinXP Pro SP2, generic PCI 802.11b NIC with AMD am1772 chipset,
    latest drivers. This PC also has an internet connection via external 56k
    modem that I want to share with ICS.
    2) Laptop, WinXP Home SP2 (italian edition), generic PCCard 802.11b NIC with
    AMD am1772 chopset, latest drivers

    Having followed instructions for creating an ad-hoc network on
    microsoft.com and other sites, I always have the same problem: Both computers
    connect to the network but then stay in the "acquiring network address" mode
    indefinately. I have run the home networking wizard on the desktop machine to
    fix its IP address and enable DCHP server capabilities. According to the
    network properties of the wireless NIC it's TCP/IP address is 192.168.0.1 as
    expected, but the wireless connection still maintains that it is acquiring a
    network address.
    I suspect that I may have two instances of the card drivers installed as the
    device is labelled #2, but in the network connections page, and in hardware
    manager, it is the only one that appears.
    Can anyone help?

    thanks,
    Iain

    =?Utf-8?B?SWFpbg==?=, Oct 31, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SWFpbg==?=

    Steven Guest

    Hi, I am still not clear about how you config the IP address for the

    two NIC, but I think you'd better config the two NIC with a specified

    IP address manually, for example, you can set the NIC in the PC with

    ICS, 192.168.0.1, and the other NIC an IP address 192.168.0.2, and
    set

    its gateway to 192.168.0.1.

    Generally speaking, the connection you've observed is just like
    the

    the plug-in of the wired-cable, so you have to config the NIC wiht an
    IP

    address, otherwise they could not communicate.

    10/31/2004 8:22:02 PM

    <>

    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.7 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

    Steven, Nov 1, 2004

  3. I Have this identical problem I have searched high and low and cannot find an
    answer :(

    =?Utf-8?B?d3ps?=, Jan 5, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SWFpbg==?=

    Tony Guest

    "wzl" <> wrote in message
    >I Have this identical problem I have searched high and low and cannot find
    >an
    > answer :(
    >
    > "Iain" wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to create an ad-hoc wireless network between two computers:
    >>
    >> 1) Desktop, WinXP Pro SP2, generic PCI 802.11b NIC with AMD am1772
    >> chipset,
    >> latest drivers. This PC also has an internet connection via external 56k
    >> modem that I want to share with ICS.
    >> 2) Laptop, WinXP Home SP2 (italian edition), generic PCCard 802.11b NIC
    >> with
    >> AMD am1772 chopset, latest drivers
    >>
    >> Having followed instructions for creating an ad-hoc network on
    >> microsoft.com and other sites, I always have the same problem: Both
    >> computers
    >> connect to the network but then stay in the "acquiring network address"
    >> mode
    >> indefinately. I have run the home networking wizard on the desktop
    >> machine to
    >> fix its IP address and enable DCHP server capabilities. According to the
    >> network properties of the wireless NIC it's TCP/IP address is 192.168.0.1
    >> as
    >> expected, but the wireless connection still maintains that it is
    >> acquiring a
    >> network address.
    >> I suspect that I may have two instances of the card drivers installed as
    >> the
    >> device is labelled #2, but in the network connections page, and in
    >> hardware
    >> manager, it is the only one that appears.
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Iain

    When the network card says it is acquiring IP address double-click on the
    icon in systray then click properties. Double click Internet Protocol
    (TCP/IP) and if it doesn't have "Use the following IP address" selected,
    select it and type in the IP address 192.168.0.1, press return and it should
    complete the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Click okay and a warning might
    pop up to say that the IP has been allocated to another LAN adaptor and do
    you want to allocated it a different one, click 'no' then okay. Chances are
    that you won't use both instances of the NIC at the same time so it
    shouldn't cause a problem.

    Tony, Jan 5, 2005
  5. well thanks for the help, it worked as soon as put the IP in ,and the same ip
    in the other computer, but with .2 on the end, they connected, and i was
    rather happy, but as soon as both pcs had been reset, the same problem
    occoured again.:(. now the same IPs just dont work, still does what it has
    been doing?
    well at least i got to know waht a network was like, we palyed worms over it
    hahaha
    thanks
    liam

    =?Utf-8?B?d3ps?=, Jan 6, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SWFpbg==?=

    Tony Guest

    Oh well - at least we have established that it can work.

    To try and summarise how it should be set up:

    Firstly the PC with the internet connection.

    Go to start>>connect to>>show all connections

    Right click on the dial-up connection that you use to connect to the
    internet.

    Click on properties then click on the advanced tab.

    Select "Allow other networks users to connect through this computer's
    internet connection"

    This will activate ICS and the DHCP server.

    Next right click on the Local Area Connection

    Click on properties and as before ensure it is showing the static IP address
    of 192.168.0.1 sub net 255.255.255.0.

    Click OK

    Next go to the PC that is to share the internet connection.

    Go to the network connections and for the local area connection for that one
    set the TCP/IP Properties to Obtain an IP address automatically.

    Click okay. When you reboot this PC it may lose its internet connection.
    You can try it by opening explorer. If you get page not found, it could
    either be due to the dial-up taking a while to connect (click on refresh) or
    you may have to right click on the icon in the systray and click repair.

    If you have windows firewall enabled then disable it for now.

    If any other local area connections are showing, disable them.

    If you have a firewall such as zonealarm installed, right click and
    shutdown.

    You should not stay connected to the internet without a firewall enabled so
    see if it works and then we can sort out a firewall.

    You should also enable security (WEP or WPA) for the wireless connection
    once it works else anyone will be able to connect but again, get it working
    first.

    If you want to start the whole installation again you will need to delete
    the NIC from control panel>>system>>hardware>>device manager. Take the PCI
    NIC out, reboot, shutdown, put the NIC back and reboot so it reinstalls

    Tony, Jan 6, 2005