ip phone and message waiting indicator

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tg, Mar 5, 2009.

  1. tg

    tg Guest

    cisco 2561XM router
    IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
    7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400

    I'm running a few 7940G ip phones on this router including a sip trunk
    for outgoing pstn calls. I'm not using any extra software like cisco
    unified stuff, it's just the IOS that does everything.
    I can't work out the message waiting indicator function. When there's a
    message waiting in my sip voicemail I should get a notification on my
    phone, but I don't know what form it takes. Is it the light on the
    handset? or is it an icon on the phone display? does the mwi method
    depend on the software that's running the phones?
    Yesterday I saw a new phone-like symbol in the bottom left hand corner
    of the 7940G display but I couldn't work out what it meant despite
    trawling google. The symbol was shaped like an 'r'. (I would normally
    have provided a link to a picture of it but my camera's broken down)
    I can dial and pick up my voicemail messages no problem. I found a few
    mwi config examples on google but I haven't been able to make the mwi
    work.
    thanks for any advice.

    tg, Mar 5, 2009

  2. tg

    Trendkill Guest

    On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > cisco 2561XM router
    > IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
    > 7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400
    >
    > I'm running a few 7940G ip phones on this router including a sip trunk
    > for outgoing pstn calls. I'm not using any extra software like cisco
    > unified stuff, it's just the IOS that does everything.
    > I can't work out the message waiting indicator function. When there's a
    > message waiting in my sip voicemail I should get a notification on my
    > phone, but I don't know what form it takes. Is it the light on the
    > handset? or is it an icon on the phone display? does the mwi method
    > depend on the software that's running the phones?
    > Yesterday I saw a new phone-like symbol in the bottom left hand corner
    > of the 7940G display but I couldn't work out what it meant despite
    > trawling google. The symbol was shaped like an 'r'. (I would normally
    > have provided a link to a picture of it but my camera's broken down)
    > I can dial and pick up my voicemail messages no problem. I found a few
    > mwi config examples on google but I haven't been able to make the mwi
    > work.
    > thanks for any advice.

    Red light on the top of the handset.

    Trendkill, Mar 5, 2009

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    "Trendkill" <> wrote in message
    On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > cisco 2561XM router
    > IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
    > 7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400

    Red light on the top of the handset.

    is that the way all the time?

    tg, Mar 5, 2009
  4. tg

    Trendkill Guest

    On Mar 5, 9:17 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "Trendkill" <> wrote in message

    > On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    >
    > > cisco 2561XM router
    > > IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
    > > 7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400

    > Red light on the top of the handset.
    >
    > is that the way all the time?

    I've run 79xx series phones on call manager, asterisk, etc, and they
    all use the red slit light on the handset to notify of voice mail. I
    think its a safe assumption that it should work the same way on CME or
    via your configuration. Sounds to me like the phone is not being
    notified of the voice mail, but when you check (i.e. call VM) it tells
    you what you have or don't have.

    Trendkill, Mar 5, 2009
  5. tg

    Trendkill Guest

    On Mar 5, 9:17 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "Trendkill" <> wrote in message

    > On Mar 5, 8:36 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    >
    > > cisco 2561XM router
    > > IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin
    > > 7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400

    > Red light on the top of the handset.
    >
    > is that the way all the time?

    Oh and to answer the other question, provided its a cisco image (SIP
    or otherwise), I would think it should work. May have to edit some of
    the files that are uploaded to the phone or served on the tftp
    server. I'm not a voip expert, but given you have all cisco gear,
    this should definitely be possible/working.

    Trendkill, Mar 5, 2009
  6. tg

    alexd Guest

    tg wrote:

    > "Trendkill" <> wrote in message

    >> Red light on the top of the handset.

    > is that the way all the time?

    Comes on solid when you have VM waiting.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:59:29 up 90 days, 23:11, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.07

    alexd, Mar 5, 2009
  7. tg

    tg Guest

    "Trendkill" <> wrote in message
    On Mar 5, 9:17 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "Trendkill" <> wrote in message

    ok thanks for your response.
    the sip provider is sending the notify because it works if I load xlite
    soft phone, and I can also see the notify packet in wireshark
    immediately after sip registration. So it's back to the drawing board
    and wrestling with the config. At least I know now what to look for -
    just keep at it until the little red light works.

    tg, Mar 5, 2009