ip over frame relay

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by harry, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. harry

    harry Guest

    I have a WAN network using frame relay to transport voice and asynd
    data, and now i need to expand to use TCP/IP between my nodes, the
    idea was to use the IP over frame relay.

    I have Routers CISCO 2600 in three of my nodes configured for IP with
    their respective routing tables, the connection is going to be made
    through a V.35 serial port.

    My frame relay equipments have already one serial port for the next
    step in the instalation, and are configured with the DLCIs for the
    others nodes.

    I found that i have to use this command to translate the ip to DLCI,

    but i dont understand where to put it or how does it work, is there
    another configuraion needed? the serial ports in the routers have
    their own IP's or are those not necesary...

    thanks for your comments

    harry, Nov 27, 2003

  2. harry

    Sean Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:31:55 -0800, harry wrote:

    > I found that i have to use this command to translate the ip to DLCI,

    The only reason you need this command is if you plan to use SVCs.
    Otherwise don't bother. You would use this command inside the "map-list"
    command.

    > but i dont understand where to put it or how does it work, is there
    > another configuraion needed? the serial ports in the routers have
    > their own IP's or are those not necesary...

    No each serial port should have it's own DLCI and IP address.

    Also, what IP addresses are you using? You should only be using /30
    networks between those links. (Subnet mask 255.255.255.252)
    Make sure you have encapsulation frame-relay on the interface. But you
    should already.

    After that, you should be able to route through your frame-relay network.
    Add static route statements, or a routing protocol to get to networks on
    the other side of your routers, and away you go!

    Good luck.

    Sean, Nov 28, 2003