IP Not Renewing/Automatic Private Address?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, May 17, 2005.

  1. I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
    working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
    connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx and is
    set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and released the IP a
    hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot get past this. Is there
    something I am missing?

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, May 17, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Poppa Earl wrote:

    > I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
    > working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
    > connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx
    > and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and
    > released the IP a hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot
    > get past this. Is there something I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks


    The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is expecting
    to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding one. How are
    you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
    wireless router is set to provide DHCP.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    Malke, May 17, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. I'm using a motorola router with a cable modem connection. There are
    currently 5 other devices working fine on the network. When I disconnect the
    adapter after uninstalling and reinstalling, there is a long pause and then
    nothing as far as an IP address. Thanks for the reply.

    Poppa Earl

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Poppa Earl wrote:
    >
    > > I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
    > > working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
    > > connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx
    > > and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and
    > > released the IP a hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot
    > > get past this. Is there something I am missing?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    >
    > The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is expecting
    > to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding one. How are
    > you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
    > wireless router is set to provide DHCP.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, May 17, 2005
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Poppa Earl wrote:

    > I'm using a motorola router with a cable modem connection. There are
    > currently 5 other devices working fine on the network. When I
    > disconnect the adapter after uninstalling and reinstalling, there is a
    > long pause and then nothing as far as an IP address. Thanks for the
    > reply.
    >
    > Poppa Earl
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Poppa Earl wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything
    >> > was working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online.
    >> > There is a connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is
    >> > 169.254.xxx.xx and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I
    >> > have renewed and released the IP a hundred times, applied the
    >> > winsock fix, but I cannot get past this. Is there something I am
    >> > missing?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    >>
    >> The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is
    >> expecting to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding
    >> one. How are
    >> you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
    >> wireless router is set to provide DHCP.


    The long pause is because the adapter is looking for a DHCP server, not
    finding one, and timing out. Look in your router settings to make sure
    you aren't limited to only 5 connections. My original Linksys router
    (many years ago) was set to only provide 5 connections. If this isn't
    the case, I'd look at the older usb wireless adapter as the possible
    cause. You can a) test it in another machine; or b) try a different
    wireless adapter in your machine. Maybe it is just a case of the
    hardware needing to be replaced.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    Malke, May 17, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David

    Not renewing IP address

    David, Jul 18, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,406
    David
    Jul 18, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2V0aCBUaG9tcHNvbg==?=

    Ip Address Not Renewing

    =?Utf-8?B?U2V0aCBUaG9tcHNvbg==?=, Jun 23, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    5,740
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=

    Automatic Private Address

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?=, May 4, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    652
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    May 4, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

    Renewing IP address

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=, Jul 15, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    684
    Phillip Windell
    Jul 17, 2007
  5. lenoir
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,512
    lenoir
    Dec 28, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page