    service", i installed NIS and still keep getting these messages.
    Anyone know how i could get rid of these ? I had no problems before on
    my other pc until it crashed , now i am getting spammed! arrghhh
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Chris H

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:36:45 +0100, in
    <bn9742$r49vt$-berlin.de>
    Chris H scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Chris H

    Harrison Guest

    Disable Windows Messenger Service:
    This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
    ability to chat with friends.
    ____________________
    Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

    In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

    Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

    Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

    In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

    Click Apply and OK.
    ___________________

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.
    ____________________

    Install the Google Toolbar to block browser pop-ups:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Chris H

    Chris H Guest