IP Masking/Hiding

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Kingfisher, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Kingfisher

    Kingfisher Guest

    Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I am
    surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were caught by
    my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.

    Cheers
    Alan
    :0)

    --
    Yahoo Groups:

    Desktop Walls

    Post message:
    Subscribe:

    ---

    Kingfisher, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Kingfisher

    Toshi1873 Guest

    In article <SxRGb.5$>,
    says...
    > Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I am
    > surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were caught by
    > my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Alan
    > :0)

    First line of defense is a hardware router/firewall/NAT device (LinkSys,
    SMC).

    Second line of defense is software firewall (WinXP's, ZoneAlarm), along with
    anti-virus.

    Third line of defense would be to pay to use one of the anomyous proxy
    servers (you redirect all of your HTTP traffic through their service and
    pray that they don't roll over on you to the authorities).

    Toshi1873, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Kingfisher

    donutbandit Guest

    "Kingfisher" <> wrote in

    > Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I
    > am surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were
    > caught by my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.

    Don't you trust your firewall?

    Pay for a proxy server... now, you trust THEM. I think they are
    untrustable.

    Why is it so important? What have you to hide?

    donutbandit, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Kingfisher

    Pete Guest

    Kingfisher , over to you ... :

    >Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I am
    >surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were caught by
    >my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.

    What would you define as an 'IP attack' ? Did someone hit you with a rolled
    up copy of RFC 791 ?

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Pete, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Kingfisher

    Mimic Guest

    "Kingfisher" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I am
    > surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were caught

    by
    > my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Alan
    > :0)

    surfing anonamously (Http proxy) wont stop attacks. Its not the websites
    attacking you. Chances are youre just getting the usual traffic (subnet
    scans)

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Pete wrote:

    >>Is there any free software which will hide/mask my IP Addrss while I am
    >>surfing the net. I have had a few IP attacks recently, which were caught by
    >>my Firewall, but I would like to surf anonymously now.

    > What would you define as an 'IP attack' ? Did someone hit you with a rolled
    > up copy of RFC 791 ?

    lol!

    @micro$oft.com, Dec 28, 2003