    other common format. This would be a simple home device nothing fancy
    or feature laden or exspensive. No need for a monitor or keyboard or
    hard drive. This is for home use. Does such a device exist?

    Stephen Balbach, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Stephen Balbach

    Guest

    On 24 Dec 2003 10:50:53 -0800, (Stephen Balbach)
    wrote:

    >I'm wondering if such a device exists. It would be a stand-alone box
    >(not a PC) that answers incoming calls (POTS line), records the
    >message, and sends it out via SMTP as a .wav or .mp3 file or some
    >other common format. This would be a simple home device nothing fancy
    >or feature laden or exspensive. No need for a monitor or keyboard or
    >hard drive. This is for home use. Does such a device exist?

    I have seen some software for the PC that used the modem as the
    answering machine. I don't recall the name at the moment. I've also
    seen some open-source software for Linux that did essentially the same
    thing, but using a dialogic board.

    -Chris

    , Dec 25, 2003

  3. Stephen Balbach

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Chris <> wrote:
    > (Stephen Balbach) wrote:
    >> I'm wondering if such a device exists. It would be a stand-alone box (not
    >> a PC) that answers incoming calls (POTS line), records the message, and
    >> sends it out via SMTP as a .wav or .mp3 file or some other common format.
    >> This would be a simple home device nothing fancy or feature laden or
    >> exspensive. No need for a monitor or keyboard or hard drive. This is for
    >> home use. Does such a device exist?

    > I have seen some software for the PC that used the modem as the
    > answering machine. I don't recall the name at the moment. I've also
    > seen some open-source software for Linux that did essentially the same
    > thing, but using a dialogic board.

    I've been using Asterisk on Linux with a $100 digium board for quite a while
    now. Works very well, emails my voice mails to me, allows me to determine
    which callers get through and which ones get dumped straight to voice mail,
    etc.

    However it's definitely not a turnkey setup. As my first foray into
    Asterisk, it took a bit of work.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Stephen Balbach

    SteveS Guest

    I use IVM it is a great software package that does all of your required
    functions and more. As long as you don't mind the canned ausssie accent I
    think it is well worth it. It cost around $50 US. The company is called NCH
    Swift Sound

    SteveS, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Stephen Balbach

    Stacy E Guest

    Another option may be an online service ...again, you would be esentially
    using your computer (or via your computer), but it might give you some
    flexibility. I don't know of one to recommend, but I have seen them out
    there.

    Stacy E, Dec 27, 2003