IP conflict

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Neil Holmes, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Neil Holmes

    Neil Holmes Guest

    I am using a USR 8054 wirless router connected to an XP home network (via a
    patch lead to a hub as I have a USB ADSL modem connected to one PC - lets
    call this PC 'Main').

    I have disabled the DHCP server at the router.

    I have set the IP of the router as 192.168.0.254 subnet 255.255.255.0.

    The IP of the 'Main' PC is fixed by ICS as 192.168.0.1subnet 255.255.255.0 .

    If I run ICS on the other PC, the IP is set automatically by DHCP server at
    169.254.187.252 on subnet 255.255.0.0.

    The same is true for a notebook with a wireless PC card.

    My questions are:

    1. What is causing the IP & subnet on the other PC & notebook to be
    169.254.xxx.xxx subnet 255.255.0.0?
    2. Can I configure auto IP on these two machines to use 192.168.xxx.xxx
    subnet 255.255.0.0?

    Thanks,

    Neil.

    Neil Holmes, Jul 30, 2004

  2. The reason your machines are getting a 169.254.x.x address is because they
    are not getting an address from a DHCP server which they are expecting. The
    169.254.x.x address space is what the client assigns to itself when there is
    no response from a DHCP server. If you would like to keep your DHCP server
    disabled then you will need to configure your clients for a static IP
    address. Go to the properties window for the network adapter and configure
    the device with the correct settings for your network. (IP address, subnet
    mask, etc.) If you do not want your clients to have static IPs then you
    will need to enable your DHCP server.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]