    Any idea(s) how to solve this please would be greatly appreciated as its
    slowly driving me mad!

    Joe

    Joe Rogers, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Joe Rogers

    John Holmes Guest

    Joe Rogers "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Running Win98SE....
    >
    > I have suddenly started getting the following 'Windows message' when
    > using OLE and haven't a clue what its about or how to solve it. I have
    > to click 'ok' to close the window.
    >
    > The message reads:-
    > 'The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.2. with the
    > system having hardware address 00:40:F4:E2:E7:23'
    >
    > Any idea(s) how to solve this please would be greatly appreciated as
    > its slowly driving me mad!
    >
    > Joe

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,310,000 for The system has detected a conflict
    for IP address . (0.30 seconds), you lazy ****.

    --
    Your mother was a diabolic religious zealot who got arrested performing
    lewd acts in the gutter.

    John Holmes, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > Running Win98SE....
    >
    > I have suddenly started getting the following 'Windows message' when
    > using OLE

    presuming OLE to mean Outlook Express commonly OE. MS uses OLE to refer
    to Object Linking and Embedding.

    > and haven't a clue what its about or how to solve it. I
    > have to click 'ok' to close the window.
    >
    > The message reads:-
    > 'The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.2.

    That IPv4 address is missing an octet.

    > with the
    > system having hardware address 00:40:F4:E2:E7:23'

    That hardware address is a MAC format of the EUI-64 type. It belongs to
    Cameo Comm who makes such as Soho NICs and other networking stuff. That
    is, I would say that that is the MAC address of your Soho nic.

    > Any idea(s) how to solve this please would be greatly appreciated as
    > its slowly driving me mad!

    I don't know why it is doing that yet. What exactly is your network
    configuration?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Joe Rogers

    Joe Rogers Guest

    Thanks for your reply Mike. Your correct in presuming I meant Outlook
    Express. Not sure what you mean by 'network configuration'

    Joe

    Joe Rogers, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Joe Rogers

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > Running Win98SE....
    >
    > I have suddenly started getting the following 'Windows message' when using
    > OLE and haven't a clue what its about or how to solve it. I have to click
    > 'ok' to close the window.
    >
    > The message reads:-
    > 'The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.2. with the
    > system having hardware address 00:40:F4:E2:E7:23'

    Each device such as a network interface card (NIC), modem, router or
    anything of that nature that does networking has a unique MAC or
    hardware address.

    What it's telling you is that some other device is using the same IP
    from your router that the machine you're having trouble with was or is
    trying to use.

    For all your machines connected to your router, you should be able to do
    IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt and find the machine's NIC MAC.
    You can then go to the DHCP server ADmin screen and see the IP(s)that
    have been issued to a NIC MAC.

    > Any idea(s) how to solve this please would be greatly appreciated as its
    > slowly driving me mad!

    If this is a wireless network, then someone may have hacked your network
    and is using the IP your machine had assigned to it and wants to use.

    If this is a wire router, then you do a hard reset of the router - hold
    the reset button down for 30 seconds or more, which will set the router
    back to its out of the box settings. Once you do that, the router will
    issue DHCP IP(s) to the machines on the LAN. You should see if that
    corrects your problem.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Joe Rogers

    Mike Easter Guest

    You are going to have to trim and contextualize your posts so that we
    can have a conversation. When you reply, please excise everything which
    doesn't pertain directly to what you are going to say, that is trimming,
    and then 'contextualize' your words or put your remarks after an empty
    line /under/ the very words you are addressing, so that I don't have to
    reconstruct all of this.

    Joe Rogers wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Joe Rogers wrote:

    >>> Running Win98SE....

    >>> The message reads:-
    >>> 'The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.2.

    >> That IPv4 address is missing an octet.

    IP addresses such as 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100 or such are typically
    found in a LAN, a local network, or they refer back to the computer's
    own address ie 127.0.0.1, or they may be associated with a router which
    may be integrated with a modem, DSL or cable ethernet When you post an
    'attempt' at such an address as a network one like the incomplete
    192.168.2 it causes me to ask what is your network configuration. What
    is your computer connected to that connects it to the internet?

    >>> with the
    >>> system having hardware address 00:40:F4:E2:E7:23'

    >> That hardware address is a MAC format of the EUI-64 type. It
    >> belongs to Cameo Comm who makes such as Soho NICs and other
    >> networking stuff. That is, I would say that that is the MAC address
    >> of your Soho nic.

    Assuming that you have an ethernet network interface card NIC, that
    network is connected to something which is giving you internet
    connectivity and may be hooked up to a local network of some kind or a
    router or something.

    >> I don't know why it is doing that yet. What exactly is your network
    >> configuration?

    > Not sure what you mean by 'network configuration'

    Your IP address ends with cable.ubr01.gray.blueyonder.co.uk

    That most likely means that you are connected to a cable modem which
    connectivity you didn't even mention when you started this thread. That
    of itself is part of a network. It is also possible/likely that your
    soho network interface card is connected to the cable modem's ethernet
    port as opposed to USB. It is also possible that your cable modem
    ethernet is connected to a router or NAT device or such.

    All of those things are part of a network configuration. Look at the
    wires which come out the back of your computer and see whereall they go.
    Disregard the ones to the speakers and the monitor and the power and the
    keyboard and the mouse and focus on the ones which connect to the cable
    modem or anything else which is between your computer and the cable
    modem, such as a hub or a router.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Joe Rogers

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:39:52 GMT, "Joe Rogers"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply Mike. Your correct in presuming I meant Outlook
    >Express. Not sure what you mean by 'network configuration'

    What is the configuration of your network? Do you have a router
    plugged into a Cable or DSL modem?

    The IP address conflict means two devices are attempting to use the
    same IP address. Your computer and another computer.

    Evan Platt, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Joe Rogers

    Joe Rogers Guest

    Many thanks for most of your replies of which were very helpful. The hard
    re-boot of the router solved the problem.

    Once again, thanks

    Joe

    Joe Rogers, Jul 18, 2006