    Bob Kleiman
    Sr. Systems Manager
    Refrigeration Sales Corporation
    Bob Kleiman, Sep 15, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Bob Kleiman <> wrote:
    :I am currently in the process of moving our enterprise to a new
    :facility, I have several static mapped IP addresses on my RS6000 boxes
    :I currently hand out IP over the WAN from the DHCP server at my
    :current location with a Cisco router at eather end of a T1 connection.
    : I have the DHCP scopes configured for 10.10.10.x for the OLD building
    :and 10.10.15.x for the new facility. Is there a way to use the
    :10.10.10.x scope for both buildings during the move process, so that I
    :don't have to recreate all of my RS6000 network print que's which are
    :all mapped to 10.10.10.x and would be a pain to recreate in the new
    :building under the 10.10.15.x scope.

    Yes, but you don't say what kind of Cisco equipment you are using
    or how you currently have it configured.

    If you establish a VPN (or direct connection) between the two
    buildings, then you could, on some routers with some IOS versions,
    set a DHCP forwarding address, so that all the DHCP requests seen
    by the router get passed on to a remote system -- the same remote
    system that was handling allocation for the other building. Then you
    have only a single point handing out the addresses, so you won't
    accidently hand out the same address to two different devices.

    Alternately, with some routers with some IOS versions, you can
    do remote bridging, effectively making the two sides into one big
    LAN. If the connections between the two sides are slow or expensive,
    then this approach can run into noticable traffic problems if you
    are using NETBIOS. For one thing, if you are running NETBIOS, then
    the Primary Domain Controller is going to be elected from one
    side of the link or the other, and all the Master Browsers and
    secondary controllers on both sides of the link are going to send
    the NETBIOS maintenance packets to that one elected PDC. If that PDC
    happens to get elected on the far side of the link from where most
    of your devices are, then you can end up with a lot of NETBIOS traffic
    crossing the link. [If the link is fast and cheap, you probably
    don't care about this... but you sure would if you are paying
    per kilobyte on an international ISDN link!]
    --
    If a troll and a half can hook a reader and a half in a posting and a half,
    how many readers can six trolls hook in six postings?
    Walter Roberson, Sep 15, 2004

  3. So, your goal is to have your printers keep the same IP addresses when
    you move to the new facility? Yes, but you'll have to bridge IP.
    Then when you are done the move and shutdown your current facility,
    you'll have to start routing IP on the new building's router and put
    the 10.10.10.x network in as a secondary to 10.10.15.x. Not knowing
    all our details, it can be worse than this.

    In my experience, doing things like this are simply not worth it.
    Re-adress, setup your new print queues using DNS and you won't regret
    it later.

    HTH,

    Mikt

    Mike Gallagher, Sep 17, 2004