    bieng done for downloading films. They traced him through his IP address i
    guess, so does anyone know of a really good IP adrress blocker ,it dosent
    have to be shareware just good at its job ta.

    Hugh Willmer, Jan 30, 2004

  2. In article <bvdsvs$d5k$>,
    says...
    > Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door saying he is
    > bieng done for downloading films. They traced him through his IP address i
    > guess, so does anyone know of a really good IP adrress blocker ,it dosent
    > have to be shareware just good at its job ta.

    he/you are wanting to download movies from a site that's blocking by an
    IP address? if you're downloading from http, you can use a proxy.. most
    proxies (if they're worth a damn, IMHO) will throttle the connection for
    these types of downloads (to keep a few users from eating up the
    bandwidth of the rest of the users by downloading porn 24/7).... if you
    mean to hide your IP address while downloading from kazaa, etc. I'm not
    aware of a method to do this.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Hugh Willmer

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:24:44 -0000, "Hugh Willmer"
    <> wrote:

    >Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door saying he is
    >bieng done for downloading films. They traced him through his IP address i
    >guess, so does anyone know of a really good IP adrress blocker ,it dosent
    >have to be shareware just good at its job ta.

    Interesting; post a copy of the threat on the net with his details
    sanitised. and the link here Sounds like a bluff to me. I think it
    would be rather hard to prove he has done anything illegal.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Hugh Willmer

    Gladys Pump Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:25:29 +0100, in newsfroup alt.computer.security, Jim
    Watt <_way> articulated the following sentiments :

    >On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:24:44 -0000, "Hugh Willmer"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door saying he is
    >>bieng done for downloading films. They traced him through his IP address i
    >>guess, so does anyone know of a really good IP adrress blocker ,it dosent
    >>have to be shareware just good at its job ta.

    >Interesting; post a copy of the threat on the net with his details
    >sanitised. and the link here Sounds like a bluff to me. I think it
    >would be rather hard to prove he has done anything illegal.

    Aren't the pigopolists more interested in those sharing large quantities of
    copyright stuff, rather than those just downloading it ?

    I read somewhere recently that the RIAA are being sued by Kazaa for using
    unlicensed versions of their software to 'target' individuals.

    Anyway, I agree with you on the bluff theory. A new strain of scam ?

    Regs,

    Pete.

    Gladys Pump, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Hugh Willmer

    Alan Walker Guest

    Hugh Willmer wrote:
    > Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door
    > saying he is bieng done for downloading films. They traced him
    > through his IP address i guess, so does anyone know of a really good
    > IP adrress blocker ,it dosent have to be shareware just good at its
    > job ta.

    Peerguardian from http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm has regularly updated
    blocklists, although if you're using the latest Kazaa Lite you'll not need
    it as it uses Peerguardian's blocklist database to do the job itself.
    --

    Alan

    Alan Walker, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Hugh Willmer

    Sloan Guest

    "Alan Walker" <> wrote in message news:<NF4Tb.15051$>...
    > Hugh Willmer wrote:
    > > Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door
    > > saying he is bieng done for downloading films. They traced him
    > > through his IP address i guess, so does anyone know of a really good
    > > IP adrress blocker ,it dosent have to be shareware just good at its
    > > job ta.

    > Peerguardian from http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm has regularly updated
    > blocklists, although if you're using the latest Kazaa Lite you'll not need
    > it as it uses Peerguardian's blocklist database to do the job itself.

    Just remember if you do use a proxy to block your IP that they also
    may log IP's of users and if they receive a subpoena that they may be
    forced to reveal a users IP address.

    Sloan, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Hugh Willmer

    Alan Walker Guest

    Sloan wrote:
    > "Alan Walker" <> wrote in message
    >> Hugh Willmer wrote:
    >>> Ive just heard a mate of mine has had a letter through the door
    >>> saying he is bieng done for downloading films. They traced him
    >>> through his IP address i guess, so does anyone know of a really good
    >>> IP adrress blocker ,it dosent have to be shareware just good at its
    >>> job ta.

    >> Peerguardian from http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm has regularly
    >> updated blocklists, although if you're using the latest Kazaa Lite
    >> you'll not need it as it uses Peerguardian's blocklist database to
    >> do the job itself.

    > Just remember if you do use a proxy to block your IP that they also
    > may log IP's of users and if they receive a subpoena that they may be
    > forced to reveal a users IP address.

    Are they legally required to keep logs ?

    --

    Alan

    Alan Walker, Feb 2, 2004
  8. "Alan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > Sloan wrote:
    > > "Alan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Peerguardian from http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm has regularly
    > >> updated blocklists, although if you're using the latest Kazaa Lite
    > >> you'll not need it as it uses Peerguardian's blocklist database to
    > >> do the job itself.

    > > Just remember if you do use a proxy to block your IP that they also
    > > may log IP's of users and if they receive a subpoena that they may be
    > > forced to reveal a users IP address.

    > Are they legally required to keep logs ?

    Depends upon the country, AFAIK.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!