ip based webcam

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John in Surrey, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. John in Surrey, Nov 13, 2005

  2. John in Surrey

    bob Guest

    does it have DMZ ? just set that IP
    of your camera into the DMZ box.

    Then setup the DDNS to update
    some service like dyndns.com

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Internet...8721872412QQcategoryZ4616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    bob, Nov 13, 2005

  3. John in Surrey

    steve Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:

    > hi,
    > I've an adsl router (dlink)
    > can/how do I configure it to allow me to view a webcam (with its own
    > IP address 192.168.1.2 ) from the internet?
    >
    > Im looking at purchasing this camera:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Internet...8721872412QQcategoryZ4616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    > unless anyone else recommends another brand
    > thanks
    > john
    > first frost in the UK this morning....
    >
    > john
    > Images of home (NZ)
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > What we are up to in the UK
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    You would put it on a port (pick one - 13456 - whatever) then forward that
    port from your router to the 192.168,1.2 inside your LAN. From outside your
    network, you would use the external IP address of the router in combination
    with that port.

    For example -> 60.194.234.41:13456

    The should see your router forward any requests on that port to the system
    with the webcam connected.

    This is how I have my web server and mail server configured for access from
    the Internet, though they are only on a private address behind my router.
    steve, Nov 13, 2005
  4. John in Surrey

    cyril Guest

    If you do not have a static IP then you can use a dynamic DNS service,
    I use

    www.dynu.com

    The service is free and a small client is placed on a computer on you
    local LAN, this client polls your router every few minutes and
    discovers its external IP, if it changes it sends a datagram to dynu
    that then updates downstream DNS servers, I have found it to be quite
    prompt in its update. You are allocated a domain name of your choice
    under the .dynu.com allocation.

    Cyril
    cyril, Nov 13, 2005
  5. On 13 Nov 2005 15:12:03 -0800, "cyril" <> wrote:

    thanks to all three of you...
    grrr, foggy and cold here this morning, bet its not like that in
    porirua...
    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz
    John in Surrey, Nov 14, 2005
  6. John in Surrey wrote:
    > On 13 Nov 2005 15:12:03 -0800, "cyril" <> wrote:
    >
    > thanks to all three of you...
    > grrr, foggy and cold here this morning, bet its not like that in
    > porirua...
    > john
    > Images of home (NZ)
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > What we are up to in the UK
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    Dude, your slashes are around the wrong way :)
    \\ should be //
    Nathan Mercer, Nov 14, 2005
  7. John in Surrey

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:41:33 +1300, Nathan Mercer <>
    wrote:

    >John in Surrey wrote:
    >> On 13 Nov 2005 15:12:03 -0800, "cyril" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> thanks to all three of you...
    >> grrr, foggy and cold here this morning, bet its not like that in
    >> porirua...
    >> john
    >> Images of home (NZ)
    >> http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    >> What we are up to in the UK
    >> http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    >Dude, your slashes are around the wrong way :)
    >\\ should be //

    Someone should tell MS :)
    Bret, Nov 15, 2005
  8. On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:20:43 +1300, Bret <> wrote:

    >>Dude, your slashes are around the wrong way :)
    >>\\ should be //

    >Someone should tell MS :)

    I'm on the other side of the globe, the are not upside down, you guys
    are!
    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home