IP address

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by senseofhumor13, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. I'm not at all offended by your suggestion of
    the "dummies" version of the network book. In fact, I
    appreciate all the time and thought that you've put into
    posting. And, as of matter of fact, I did read a little
    bit of "Networking for Dummies" over the weekend. I found
    it interesting and informative. I will take your advice
    and look into reading the other books as well. Is Ziff
    Davis the author for both the TCP/IP book as well as
    basic networking?

    Thanks again.

    that new to network
    >computing.
    >Your best bet is to pick up a beginners book on TCP/IP,

    and one on basic
    >networking. Ziff Davis Publishing has some nice ones

    or, and please don't
    >take
    >this the wrong way, the "For Dummy's" series is also

    quite nice.
    >I used the "TCP/IP for Dummies" book to help me write a

    mid-term paper in
    >college, it got me an "A". After reading the books my

    explanation will
    >clear up somewhat I hope. If not, I will be glad to try

    and explain it
    >better.
    >
    >Again, I am sorry, and will try to keep your newness to

    computing in mind

    -------------------

    wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the well thoughtout explanation.
    >> Unfortunately, none of it sticks to my brain. In case I
    >> haven't made it evidently clear, I'm very new to the
    >> computer world. I've been learning about computers for
    >> the past 6 months or so. Other than the computer repair
    >> class and a windows 2000 pro class (which I'm taking
    >> now), I have no other experience. I'm going to print

    your
    >> posting and will look at it periodically. It looks
    >> interesting, I just wish it was in english.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    the
    >> IP
    >> >addresses. As such you decide what the static IP

    address
    >> >will be.
    >> >
    >> >For example, here is a network with the following

    >> equipment.
    >> >2 - 2003 Advanced Servers acting as Domain Controllers

    >> (DC1 and 2)
    >> > and DNS servers
    >> >1 - 2003 Advanced Server acting as a file server (FS)
    >> >1 - Desktop Workstation
    >> >1 - Laptop Workstation with wireless 802.11b

    capability
    >> >1 - Cable modem router providing DHCP services
    >> >1 - Print server PS
    >> >
    >> >Since you are developing the network you decide to

    >> configure it
    >> >as Class C using the usual 192.168.1.x IP address

    setup.

    >> >Each DC needs a static IP since they are also DNS

    >> servers. To be consistent
    >> >lets also
    >> >assign the file and print servers static IP addresses

    >> also.
    >> > So lets assign DC1 and IP address of 192.168.1.200
    >> > DC2 gets 192.168.1.201
    >> > Next FS gets 192.168.1.210 (lets leave some space

    >> for other servers)
    >> > Finally PS gets 192.168.1.240 (again more room for

    >> other equipment)
    >> >
    >> >All the servers are connected to the router with an 8

    >> port hub. Here you
    >> >have developed
    >> >the IP addresses for each of your servers.
    >> >
    >> >The workstation and laptop still use DHCP for their

    >> address and connect
    >> >directly
    >> >to the router.
    >> >
    >> >Now the router uses DHCP itself to get an IP address

    >> from your ISP
    >> >and uses its internal DHCP to hand out addresses to

    the
    >> internal network.
    >> >It also assigns itself the IP address 192.168.1.1 so

    >> that it can communicate
    >> >on the internal network. If you want to use a fixed

    IP
    >> address to connect
    >> >to your ISP you will need to get on from them for the

    >> router. Also you need
    >> >to configure your router so that it will not hand out

    >> any IP addresses
    >> >greater than
    >> >192.168.1.199 or lower than 192.168.1.2.
    >> >
    >> >Lets say the ISP assigns address 68.50.5.132 either

    via
    >> >DHCP or you enter it as a static address after asking

    >> them for it.
    >> >
    >> >An example of the address route to the workstation

    would
    >> then be:
    >> >ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

    >> on the router
    >> >Internally we go through the router from IP address

    >> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
    >> >From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

    >> network to
    >> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.200 on

    DC1.

    >> >If we went from the ISP to DC1 it would be:
    >> >ISP to the router at ISP assigned address 68.50.05.132

    >> on the router
    >> >Internally we go through the router from IP address

    >> > the router assigned IP address 192.168.1.1
    >> >From Router address 192.168.1.1 across the internal

    >> network to
    >> > static IP address 192.168.1.200 on DC1.
    >> >
    >> >Hopefully that helps and my explanation hasn't

    confused
    >> things further,
    >> >I just wish I had a way of showing this with pictures

    >> also.
    >> >--
    >> >Alan G
    >> >"He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"
    >> >------------------------------------------------------

    ---
    >> -------------------
    >> >---
    >> >

    >> >"senseofhumor13" <>

    >> wrote in message

    the
    >> IP

    message

    >> another's

    you

    senseofhumor13, Mar 1, 2004

  2. senseofhumor13

    LnkWizard Guest

    I stand corrected, it looks like the Ziff Davis Books I
    was thinking about are actually put out by QUE
    Publishing www.quepublishing.,com. They have
    quite a series on networking my suggestion is:
    "Absolute Beginners Guide to Networking"
    Joe Habraken
    ISBN 0-7897-2545-2

    Continue reading your "Networking for Dummies" and pick up
    "TCP/IP for Dummies" and you will have a good basic
    set of books to build your knowledge with.
    --
    Alan G
    ---

    LnkWizard, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Will do. Thanks again for all your input.

    senseofhumor13, Mar 1, 2004
  4. I forgot to ask you, any suggestions on any particular
    order that I should read these books?

    senseofhumor13, Mar 1, 2004
  5. senseofhumor13

    LnkWizard Guest

    All I can say is for me it worked best to read the networking
    first and then the TCP/IP second since the TCP/IP uses references
    networking terms. I am curious as to Sue's suggestions on this
    including books a to read an such.

    --
    Alan G
    ---

    LnkWizard, Mar 1, 2004
  6. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    I never had a TCP book during my MCSE studies... actually, subnetting became
    very clear and easy for me during my CCNA course taken one month after my
    210 course. Right now I am reading a phenominal book on TCP/IP
    (http://www.ciscopress.com/search/index.asp?searchgroup=Entire Site&searchty
    pe=Author&searchstring=jeff+doyle - I have both of these) that have
    clarified a few more issues for me on my road to CCNP. They are part of the
    new Cisco CCIE Professional Development Series. But at $63 USD/book, they
    are pretty expensive for just one topic and geared towards configuring
    TCP/IP and the routing protocols on cisco routers/switches.

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Mar 2, 2004
  7. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    oh and as always, www.learntosubnet.com is a GREAT resource.

    After some research, I have found the following books/sites that might help
    him out.....

    www.learntcpip.com

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books#product-details
    <--- this one looks informative

    http://www.idiotbooks.com/idiotdummybookstcpip.html <-- you'll be surprised
    here

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=tcp/ip books&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N
    <--- TONS here

    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/commnet/TCPIP/tcpip.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/cnbd/cnbd_trb_tctu.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...munications/networkbasics/tcpip_implement.asp

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130183806/ref=pd_cpt_gw_1/102-9078536-6868164
    <--- REAL cheap used

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8186955/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-9078536-6868164

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...8186955/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-9078536-6868164

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-9078536-6868164 <-- and
    many more :)

    lol I could go on and on but you get the idea
    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Thanks for all your info and input. You always go the
    extra mile to help me out and I'm always grateful for
    your help. I'll check out the books that you've suggested
    and the websites as well.

    Btw, I think you asked me before which book I was using
    for my 210 class. I'm using MCSE Windows 2000
    Professional by Syngress

    message

    senseofhumor13, Mar 2, 2004
  9. senseofhumor13

    Guest Guest

    You must manualy assign an IP adress to the computer, and
    you must disable the Automatic IP option at TCP\IP
    properties.

    Guest, Mar 5, 2004