  1. When opting for a specific IP address rather than from a
    DHCP server, how do you obtain an IP address? Brat?
    Anyone?

    senseofhumor13, Feb 26, 2004

  2. senseofhumor13

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > When opting for a specific IP address rather than from a
    > DHCP server, how do you obtain an IP address? Brat?
    > Anyone?

    in this case, the IP address wouldn't be "obtained", per se. you know where
    you set it to "Obtain IP address automatically", or "Use the following IP
    address"? Well, check off the use the following IP button, then type in your
    IP address. simple as that. It won't go looking for a DHCP server or
    anything.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Feb 26, 2004

  3. senseofhumor13

    LnkWizard Guest

    "senseofhumor13" <> wrote in message
    > When opting for a specific IP address rather than from a
    > DHCP server, how do you obtain an IP address? Brat?
    > Anyone?

    First you should have a static IP address that is in the IP address
    range of your network, but is excluded from you DHCP server's scope.
    You then have to enter it yourself in the Network TCP/IP Connection
    Properties.
    You should also know your Gateway and DNS server IP addresses,
    you may not need them but they are good to know.

    Alan G
    ---

    LnkWizard, Feb 26, 2004
  4. senseofhumor13

    Consultant Guest

    get it from your service provider

    Consultant, Feb 26, 2004
  5. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    hey kiddo... how is the studying goin? Lnk has it right... you need to
    statically assign the IP address if you are choosing to not use DHCP

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Feb 26, 2004
  6. senseofhumor13

    andreoutlaw Guest

    If you are using a workstation with a static IP address on a network that
    has a DHCP server that assigns IP address you can go about it a couple of
    different ways.
    1) You put the IP address in the TCP/IP properties on the workstation. If
    you do it this way make sure you remove the IP address from the pool so the
    DHCP server doesn't assign it to another workstation.

    2) You can assign tell the workstation to get an IP address from the DHCP
    server and tell the DHCP server to assign a static IP address to the
    workstation. You would do this by assigning the MAC address for the
    workstation to an IP address and reserving that IP address from the pool.
    Then whenever the workstation is turned on it will receive the same IP
    address each time.

    Note: if you think that two workstations have the same IP address check the
    subnet mask. If the mask is all 0 then some other workstation is using the
    IP address that is currently assigned to that workstation.

    andreoutlaw, Feb 26, 2004
  7. senseofhumor13

    Guest Guest

    So, where would I get the static IP from?

    -------------------

    Guest, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Hey Brat!!! <<<reaches out and gives Brat a big hug>>>. I
    just started my class just last week. I originally had
    both 2000 server and 2000 professional classes but I
    dropped out of server because the professor wouldn't let
    me audit and I didn't want to take a risk of failing the
    class. The professional class is going well. I enjoy the
    lab aspect of it much more than the lecture obviously.
    Most everyone in the class seems to have some networking
    experience whereas I have only downloading from Kazaa
    experience-D'OLP!!! I guess I'll just have to study
    harder and do a lot of posting on this site I suppose.
    How's everything with you? Your career? Always nice
    hearing from you Brat.

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Actually, after reading Consultant's posting, I guess I
    get it from the ISP correct?

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Thanks for the straight to the point response.

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Thanks for your simple and step-by-step instruction.

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  12. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    audit? what exactly does that mean? Perhaps just taking one course at time
    is better anyway... that is how I did mine... one course at a time.... job
    is going well... settling in and learning a few things and having a blast :D

    What books did you end up buying anyway? Or did the course provide you with
    text books as part of your tuition?

    Brat, Feb 27, 2004
  13. senseofhumor13

    LnkWizard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > So, where would I get the static IP from?

    Probably the ISP or SysAdmin if connecting to another's network.
    However, if you are running your own network, then you come up
    with it yourself.

    LnkWizard, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Brat wrote:
    > audit? what exactly does that mean? Perhaps just taking one course
    > at time is better anyway... that is how I did mine... one course at a
    > time.... job is going well... settling in and learning a few things
    > and having a blast :D

    I think he means that the system would not allow auditing. I had a similar
    experience when I took a 210/215 class at a local community college. We
    weren't able to do labs with auditing because the domain policy would not
    allow it. Kind of sucked, but we got some serious book-lernin'

    --
    Fris "I need a global policy to keep the IRS from auditing me" bee®, MCNGP

    Certaholics

    Frisbee® MCNGP, Feb 27, 2004
  15. senseofhumor13

    kpg Guest

    ???

    Auditing a class is sitting in on it but not getting a grade or
    being required to participate. It costs less than actually taking
    the class while having the benift of instruction.

    kpg, Feb 27, 2004
  16. kpg wrote:
    > ???
    >
    > Auditing a class is sitting in on it but not getting a grade or
    > being required to participate. It costs less than actually taking
    > the class while having the benift of instruction.

    I understand that meaning of the word as well, I just thought perhaps the OP
    was referring to the situation I encountered... especially since it was the
    215 portion he had trouble with.

    --
    Fris "The Inuit have 50 different words for audit" bee®, MCNGP #13

    Certaholics

    Frisbee® MCNGP, Feb 27, 2004
  17. I don't quite understand how I would come up with the IP
    address on my own, please explain.

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  18. Kpg is correct. I wanted to sit and gained the experience
    without getting a grade but the school wouldn't allow it.

    What is the main difference between DNS and WINS?

    senseofhumor13, Feb 27, 2004
  19. senseofhumor13

    JaR Guest

    senseofhumor13 opined, On 2/27/04 8:37 AM:

    > I don't quite understand how I would come up with the IP
    > address on my own, please explain.

    Ferchrissakes, bud! RTFM!

    JaR
    Elementary Thug

    JaR, Feb 27, 2004
  20. senseofhumor13

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > > I don't quite understand how I would come up with the IP
    > > address on my own, please explain.
    > >

    > Ferchrissakes, bud! RTFM!

    *ANY* manual.

    --