Ip Address

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, May 2, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I'm not too sure of my IP address as I am on ADSL with two systems
    connected to the same ADSL Modem/Router.

    When I type ipconfig at the command prompt it gives a strange ip
    address.

    I know what the one my ISP gave me is, but I'm not sure how to
    differentiate between the two machines that use the ip?

    I would like to be able to play an online game. Do I just use the one
    my ISP gave? If so how does that get routed to the right computer?

    If I go and click on the SpeedTouch info on my computer it brings up
    all the info in Explorer. It lists the IP Address table, and IP Route
    table.

    How do I find out which IP the router gives to each machine?

    I'm really confused on which Ip to use so if you can help I'd be very
    grateful.

    Cheers

    John

    John, May 2, 2004

  2. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John <> wrote in news:1mq990hf5midfmigoidki8sgr9r7setpmi@
    4ax.com:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm not too sure of my IP address as I am on ADSL with two systems
    > connected to the same ADSL Modem/Router.
    >
    > When I type ipconfig at the command prompt it gives a strange ip
    > address.

    The modem router is using to types of IP(s). One is the public IP the
    Internet facing IP or WAN IP that is assigned to the modem by the ISP.
    Even if your setup was a cable modem with a cable router, it is the modem
    that gets the IP assigned to it by the ISP.

    The router communicates with the modem.

    The router has private IP(s) that can be issued to a machine connected to
    it making a request to have the router with a DHCP server issue an IP to
    the machine or the machine can use one of the router's static IP(s).

    I suggest you use Google as your friend to look this information up and
    understand what it means.

    > I know what the one my ISP gave me is, but I'm not sure how to
    > differentiate between the two machines that use the ip?

    I have not used ADSL but from what I understand the ISP is a dial-up ISP
    with the dial-up using the phone line. Usually, for a dial-up ISP, each
    time you dial-up, the ISP assigns a different IP to the modem. I could be
    wrong about that.

    > I would like to be able to play an online game. Do I just use the one
    > my ISP gave? If so how does that get routed to the right computer?

    You will need to use the one that is assigned to the modem, since that is
    the IP that is assigned by the ISP so that you can connect to the ISP's
    network.

    > If I go and click on the SpeedTouch info on my computer it brings up
    > all the info in Explorer. It lists the IP Address table, and IP Route
    > table.

    > How do I find out which IP the router gives to each machine?

    Then there should be a DHCP table in the router screens that holds the
    MAC of the NIC in the computer. And the router using DHCP assigns one of
    its private IP(s) to the computer based on the computer's NIC MAC, unless
    you have told the computer to use one of the router's static IP(s).

    > I'm really confused on which Ip to use so if you can help I'd be very
    > grateful.

    I don't know about the game you're trying to play over the Internet. But
    games like those usually need certain inbound ports open on the router
    (open to the public Internet) and mapped to the IP/machine that needs the
    port(s) open/mapped. That's called port forwarding or you may need to use
    port triggering, if the router has this capability. The documentation for
    the game will clearly indicate the inbound ports that are needed.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    Again Google is your friend to further explain the use of it. In
    addition, the router should have a Website with a Knowledge Base on how
    to setup the router and the machine to do port forwarding which should be
    using one of the router's static IP(s).

    You should know that if you use port triggering, then the protection of
    the router is out of the picture for the IP/machine that ports are being
    mapped to and you'll need a host based FW on the machine to protect it
    from attack.

    You should keep the machine out of the DMZ at all cost, if the router has
    that capability. And you should secure the machines from attack.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 2, 2004

  3. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    John <> wrote in news:1mq990hf5midfmigoidki8sgr9r7setpmi@
    4ax.com:

    > I'm not too sure of my IP address as I am on ADSL with two systems
    > connected to the same ADSL Modem/Router.
    >
    > When I type ipconfig at the command prompt it gives a strange ip
    > address.

    Something like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x? That's an internally assigned
    private (non routable) IP address.

    > I know what the one my ISP gave me is, but I'm not sure how to
    > differentiate between the two machines that use the ip?

    The one your ISP gave you is a public address reachable by the internet.
    The one your machines are assigned by your router are not public, and
    can't be reached via the internet.

    > I would like to be able to play an online game. Do I just use the one
    > my ISP gave? If so how does that get routed to the right computer?

    Depends on which game. If it is a game like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3,
    Wolfenstein, or a game like Everquest or Asheron's Call, you won't need
    to do anything. If this is a game that you "host", like Age of Empires
    (the whole series) or similar, you will need to set up port forwarding on
    your router. Or place a machine in the DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone).

    > If I go and click on the SpeedTouch info on my computer it brings up
    > all the info in Explorer. It lists the IP Address table, and IP Route
    > table.

    I'm not familiar with speedtouch, but this information is not necessary
    for what you are asking.

    > How do I find out which IP the router gives to each machine?

    Either look on the router's status pages to look at your DHCP leases, or
    go to each machine and type "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 3, 2004
  4. John

    John Guest

    On 02 May 2004 23:31:54 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >John <> wrote in news:1mq990hf5midfmigoidki8sgr9r7setpmi@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> I'm not too sure of my IP address as I am on ADSL with two systems
    >> connected to the same ADSL Modem/Router.
    >>
    >> When I type ipconfig at the command prompt it gives a strange ip
    >> address.

    >Something like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x? That's an internally assigned
    >private (non routable) IP address.
    >
    >> I know what the one my ISP gave me is, but I'm not sure how to
    >> differentiate between the two machines that use the ip?

    >The one your ISP gave you is a public address reachable by the internet.
    >The one your machines are assigned by your router are not public, and
    >can't be reached via the internet.
    >
    >> I would like to be able to play an online game. Do I just use the one
    >> my ISP gave? If so how does that get routed to the right computer?

    >Depends on which game. If it is a game like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3,
    >Wolfenstein, or a game like Everquest or Asheron's Call, you won't need
    >to do anything. If this is a game that you "host", like Age of Empires
    >(the whole series) or similar, you will need to set up port forwarding on
    >your router. Or place a machine in the DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone).
    >
    >> If I go and click on the SpeedTouch info on my computer it brings up
    >> all the info in Explorer. It lists the IP Address table, and IP Route
    >> table.

    >I'm not familiar with speedtouch, but this information is not necessary
    >for what you are asking.
    >
    >> How do I find out which IP the router gives to each machine?

    >Either look on the router's status pages to look at your DHCP leases, or
    >go to each machine and type "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt

    Hi. It is for Championship Manager 03/04. I didn't want to host a
    game but to join one when I can link up with a few other people on the
    forums.

    Thanks

    John

    John, May 3, 2004
  5. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    John <> wrote in news:ucbc90p95dakt9kqc7hga1a6fejkg4k29l@
    4ax.com:

    > Hi. It is for Championship Manager 03/04. I didn't want to host a
    > game but to join one when I can link up with a few other people on the
    > forums.

    Are you having any sort of problems doing it? If your machine is being a
    simple client, the NAT routing on the router shouldn't be a problem with
    you playing.

    DeMoN LaG, May 3, 2004