    'whatsmyip' it shows a different IP address than my computer's usual
    one. is this a good way to visit sites anonymously?
    - thanks

    finwicke, Feb 28, 2006

  2. finwicke

    Guest

    It depends. Have you checked in under your real name and do you wear a
    mask?

    , Feb 28, 2006

  3. finwicke

    Todd H. Guest

    "finwicke" <> writes:

    > using my own computer at a hotel with wireless internet, if i go to
    > 'whatsmyip' it shows a different IP address than my computer's usual
    > one. is this a good way to visit sites anonymously?

    It depends on what individual identification you've done to get access
    to the wireless network. But if they just have it on and don't
    require any sort of credit card submission page, or whatever, you do
    have the potential to be pretty darned anonymous.

    Something like privoxy to handle browser identification or cookies and
    the like might give additional privacy.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 28, 2006
  4. finwicke

    cypher Guest

    cypher, Feb 28, 2006
  5. finwicke wrote:

    > using my own computer at a hotel with wireless internet, if i go to
    > 'whatsmyip' it shows a different IP address than my computer's usual one.
    > is this a good way to visit sites anonymously?

    No. It's a good way to visit sites from a different IP address. That's not
    the definition of anonymous. You might not even appear to be a different
    person at all in spite of the IP address change because IP address isn't
    the only way to identify you.

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Feb 28, 2006