    information list which presumably alerts you when going out, but it
    does'nt work. I'm not technically oriented, so any solution would
    have to be simple. Thanks for any help.

    Giuseppe Puccini, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Giuseppe Puccini

    Solbu Guest

    Solbu, Oct 3, 2003

  3. In article <2Cffb.27747$>,
    says...

    > On fredag 3. oktober 2003, 16:15 Giuseppe Puccini tried to express an opinion:
    >
    > > Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
    > > every site visited?

    > No. That is not posible in any way what so ever.

    You're incorrect. You may use a proxy service. There's many free proxies
    out there, which are, at best, unstable.

    You may choose to purchase an account with someone like www.cotse.net,
    which I highly recommend.

    > The reason is that when you connect to the site,
    > the server get a call from the IP adress you have, asking for a webpage.
    > It need the IP to know what computer to send the page back to.

    Again, misinformation. Proxies will hide your IP address.

    > It's like your postal adress.
    > The mail and packages needs an adress to be sendt to.

    This is correct. The proxy will act as an intermediary between you and
    the website. Again, www.cotse.net does a wonderful job of this.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Giuseppe Puccini

    The Saint Guest

    Yes. Visit http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html

    The Saint, Oct 3, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
    > every site visited? I tried including it in Norton's private
    > information list which presumably alerts you when going out, but it
    > does'nt work. I'm not technically oriented, so any solution would
    > have to be simple. Thanks for any help.

    Use a proxy.

    As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
    they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
    honest service such as www.cotse.net.

    This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
    information, such as the browser you're using, etc.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Giuseppe Puccini

    kroesjnov Guest

    Solbu wrote:
    > The reason is that when you connect to the site,
    > the server get a call from the IP adress you have, asking for a
    > webpage.
    > It need the IP to know what computer to send the page back to.

    Indeed, so the only solution would be using a proxy, which acts as a
    go-between so that the webserver will see the IP from the proxy, and not
    your IP.

    --
    "Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way"
    - kroesjnov

    http://www.securitydatabase.net
    http://www.mostly-harmless.nl
    http://www.outerbrains.nl
    email: rnet (remove inter to reply)
    UIN: 85685870
    MSN:

    kroesjnov, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Giuseppe Puccini

    kroesjnov Guest

    kroesjnov wrote:
    > Indeed, so the only solution would be using a proxy, which acts as a
    > go-between so that the webserver will see the IP from the proxy, and
    > not your IP.

    hmm, ng client did not display hte newest reply yet, sry for the double
    answer.

    kroesjnov, Oct 3, 2003
  8. >
    > As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
    > they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
    > honest service such as www.cotse.net.
    >
    > This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
    > information, such as the browser you're using, etc.

    Thanks for replying. Would use of a service such as cotse appreciably
    reduce your speed of download/surfing by having to go through 2
    servers? Also do you know of comparisons between Cotse and
    Anonymizer? Thanks for your help.

    Giuseppe Puccini, Oct 4, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    says...

    > > As stated in my other post, there's many free proxies available, however
    > > they're unstable. I've found it best to go ahead and get a stable and
    > > honest service such as www.cotse.net.
    > >
    > > This will hide you from the websites gathering your IP address and other
    > > information, such as the browser you're using, etc.
    > >

    > Thanks for replying. Would use of a service such as cotse appreciably
    > reduce your speed of download/surfing by having to go through 2
    > servers? Also do you know of comparisons between Cotse and
    > Anonymizer? Thanks for your help.

    Your speed to normal web pages won't be dramatically decreased, however
    your downloads of large files, such as zips, mpgs and such, you'll see a
    difference if you're on a high speed internet account. Dialup, it won't
    matter much.

    Third party proxies will cause a speed decrease, such is life. However,
    I use the Cotse Proxy for _all_ normal web site browsing, such as
    reading the news, research, casual reading. When/if I need to download a
    large file, I use a different browser not configured for the proxy and
    download directly.

    As for comparing Cotse to Anonymizer, there's no comparison. Cotse has
    more email control including spam blocking, attachment blocking, 'per-
    list' blocking, bayesian filtering, etc. Basically, Cotse Rocks!

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Colonel Flagg wrote:
    > In article <2Cffb.27747$>,
    > says...

    >>On fredag 3. oktober 2003, 16:15 Giuseppe Puccini tried to express an opinion:
    >>

    >>>Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
    >>>every site visited?

    >>No. That is not posible in any way what so ever.
    >>

    > You're incorrect. You may use a proxy service. There's many free proxies
    > out there, which are, at best, unstable.

    I've got Squid going, it seems stable. I'm just learning about setting
    up a proxy service with Apache. All the while I had it, and didn't
    realize that it had mod_proxy included. I'll look thru that today, it'll
    give me a good project for today. Then I can provide proxy services for
    a couple of (trusted!) hosts, mainly for privacy's sake. But yes,
    proxies allow you to go anonymous; there are some unsecured ones that
    anyone can go thru. I have a list somewhere. With Squid, you can even
    re-write the headers, if you so desire. So you may see,
    HTTP User-Agent: Nintendo 64/0.01 (100% Compatible, CZ, MS-DOS 3.1)
    or anything else!

    --
    --------------nonoffensive sig.v2.2RC2?------------------------
    - jayjwa 4 Spammers: mailto:

    @micro$oft.com, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Giuseppe Puccini

    Volker Birk Guest

    Giuseppe Puccini <> wrote:
    > Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
    > every site visited?

    Use an anonymizing proxy. Better: use a mixer chain. Unfortunately
    there are problems now with JAP, I think, it was the best solution.

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

    Volker Birk, Oct 4, 2003
  12. Giuseppe Puccini

    The Voyager Guest

    The Voyager, Oct 5, 2003
  13. Giuseppe Puccini

    Mimic Guest

    "Solbu" <> wrote in message

    > On fredag 3. oktober 2003, 16:15 Giuseppe Puccini tried to express an

    opinion:

    > > Is there any way to prevent browser from revealing my IP address to
    > > every site visited?

    > No. That is not posible in any way what so ever.
    >
    > The reason is that when you connect to the site,
    > the server get a call from the IP adress you have, asking for a webpage.
    > It need the IP to know what computer to send the page back to.

    nuh you can use a "middle man" to handle the data, aka proxies

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 6, 2003