    thejim Guest

    Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
    adresses?

    thejim, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Depends on the Switch.
    Unmanaged typically do not.
    Managed switches typically do.

    Scott Townsend, Apr 12, 2007

  3. thejim

    Guest

    On Apr 12, 2:00 pm, "thejim" <> wrote:
    > Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
    > adresses?

    Layer 2 switches have IP addresses for managing the network. Lets say
    you need to reverse telnet to edit configurations.

    I learned that the command

    interface VLAN 1

    is used to setup a management interface for the switch. What you
    need to do is set an ip address and default gateway so you can access
    this interface and configure the switch remotely. Intially these
    parameters need to be setup from the console.

    -Ciscopimpenator

    , Apr 13, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Apr 12, 2:00 pm, "thejim" <> wrote:
    >> Do layer 2 switches have IP addresses in a network or just MAC
    >> adresses?

    >Layer 2 switches have IP addresses for managing the network. Lets say
    >you need to reverse telnet to edit configurations.

    Correction: *some* Layer 2 switches have IP addresses. A bunch of
    them have no IP addresses at all, and are only configurable over
    the serial port, or via push buttons or jumpers, or are not configurable
    at all.

    >I learned that the command
    >interface VLAN 1
    >is used to setup a management interface for the switch.

    Not on non-Cisco brands it isn't. That isn't even what you would
    do on Cisco's Linksys brand.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 13, 2007
  5. thejim

    Guest

    Oh, my mistake. You can setup a Cisco 2950 with "interface VLAN 1"
    and the ip address of your choice if you need inband management. Its
    not default, but its an option.
    Its mentioned in the CCNA ICND textbook as a possible scenario for
    configuring inband management.

    -Ciscopimpenator

    , Apr 13, 2007
  6. thejim

    Guest

    The Cisco ICND book could be wrong but I doubt it.

    , Apr 13, 2007