    with the laptop's settings not the router's.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=, Jun 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=

    Clark Guest

    Did you right click on Network Connections and choose properties? Then your
    internet connection-right click and select properties, then select TCP/IP
    and select properties? Then check "Obtain IP address automatically" and
    "Obtain DNS address automatically"? You may or may not have to tell it to
    connect to the network.

    If you have the Network Connections open and highlight your connection, on
    the bottom left, in the Details box, you should see your IP address and it
    should say Assigned by DHCP. Of course this assumes you set the router as a
    DHCP server.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 10, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=

    DanR Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
    > internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
    > wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
    > the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
    > internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm trying
    > to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
    > network and gets through the security protocol fine

    You may have to turn off security to get the laptop working... then turn it back
    on. What security protocols are you using?

    DanR, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm still having a little trouble. TCP/IP is
    selected and it was already set to obtain the IP address automatically and
    obtain DNS address automatically. Also, when I highlight the connection in
    the network connections window and look at the details, it lists the IP
    address, subnet mask, and then it says "Automatic Private Address", not
    Assigned by DHCP. How do I make it say that?
    (By the way, this is all on the laptop, I hope that's what you meant, I
    couldn't find any of it on the desktop!)

    Thanks again.
    Jake

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Well, I've used WEP and WPA, and I've even tried it with no encryption at all
    but to no avail.

    Thanks,
    Jake

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=, Jun 10, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=

    Clark Guest

    >Also, when I highlight the connection in
    >the network connections window and look at the details, it lists the IP
    >address, subnet mask, and then it says "Automatic Private Address", not
    >Assigned by DHCP. How do I make it say that? <

    This seems to be out of my realm of experience, but I could only guess it
    was done by the router. My laptop says

    Assigned by DHCP
    Access Point
    Network: XXXXXX
    Encryption: Enabled
    Signal Strength: Excellent

    Under the same area as the DHCP on the Alternate Configuration tab there is
    a selection for "Automatic Private IP Address". Maybe your Details listing
    is just giving you more information. Are you using infrastructure or Ad Hoc
    for an operating mode?

    The trick here is to make the connection as simple as possible to get it
    working, and then add stuff slowly.

    If you want to know more information about your networking setup you can
    open a command window (Start-Run-cmd) and type ipconfig /all. If you are
    showing an IP address that looks correct, you may have a security setting or
    firewall blocking the communication.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 10, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrZQ==?=

    Gary Smith Guest

    Is the laptop running Windows XP? Are you using the LinkSys software to
    manage the connection, or the stuff that's built into XP? I found that
    the LinkSys software would not work reliably with XP SP2, although I had
    no problem with SP1. When I disabled the LinkSys software and switched to
    the built-in XP connection manager instead, everything began working
    flawlessly.

    --
    Gary L. Smith
    Columbus, Ohio