IP address question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daave, May 11, 2007.

  1. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
    to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    <BODY></BODY></HTML>

    And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
    the following cryptic statement:

    "Hi, mito, just for fun!"

    A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
    Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    for hexrpg.com?!

    Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    (67 errors):

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline

    Any explanations?

    For those who want to join the thread:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    Daave, May 11, 2007

  2. Daave

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    > www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
    > to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    > different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    > charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    > <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
    > the following cryptic statement:
    >
    > "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
    >
    > A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
    > Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    > for hexrpg.com?!
    >
    > Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    > (67 errors):
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline
    >
    > Any explanations?
    >
    > For those who want to join the thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    Site opened fine here:
    Welcome to Hogwarts Extreme, the longest-lasting, most fun, most
    realistic Harry Potter Role-Playing website on the internet. Are you
    a member of our website yet? If not, enroll today here! Have fun with
    the activities, classes, dorms, clubs, houses, dueling, shopping,
    owlpost, community, and much more!
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    Old Gringo, May 11, 2007

  3. Daave

    Who is: http://tinyurl.com/24cvgr
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    5/10/2007 11:12:10 PM CST

    Old Gringo, May 11, 2007
  4. Daave

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    > www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
    > to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    > different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    > charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    > <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
    > the following cryptic statement:
    >
    > "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
    >
    > A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
    > Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    > for hexrpg.com?!
    >
    > Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    > (67 errors):
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline
    >
    > Any explanations?
    >
    > For those who want to join the thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    About Us will give you a wealth of information:

    Hogwarts Extreme - About Us

    All HEX staff keep HEX up and running. To do this, ideas are put to
    action, scripts are updated, and the users are managed to make HEX a
    great place. Hogwarts Extreme was created on August 23, 2001. The
    people that run HEX consist of the Head Staff (administrators), Staff
    Members, and the Global Moderators.

    Head Staff (Administrators)

    >>> John

    Joined Staff: January 20, 2002
    Duties: Head, Programmer, Site security
    Location: Oklahoma, USA

    What is your real first name? John
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    5/10/2007 11:28:53 PM CST

    Old Gringo, May 11, 2007
  5. Daave

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    > www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
    > to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    > different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    > charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    > <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
    > the following cryptic statement:
    >
    > "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
    >
    > A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
    > Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    > for hexrpg.com?!
    >
    > Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    > (67 errors):
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline
    >
    > Any explanations?
    >
    > For those who want to join the thread:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    www.hexrpg.com
    Location of the Host IP address
    67.15.230.41:
    Houston in United States.
    Click here for big Host satellite map.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    5/10/2007 11:43:31 PM CST

    Old Gringo, May 11, 2007
  6. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    >> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
    >> (supposed
    >> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    >> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    >> <HTML><HEAD>
    >> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    >> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    >> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    >>
    >> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained
    >> only
    >> the following cryptic statement:
    >>
    >> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
    >>
    >> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the
    >> registrant is
    >> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    >> for hexrpg.com?!
    >>
    >> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    >> (67 errors):

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline

    >> Any explanations?
    >>
    >> For those who want to join the thread:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    > www.hexrpg.com
    > Location of the Host IP address
    > 67.15.230.41:
    > Houston in United States.
    > Click here for big Host satellite map.

    Lots of responses, but none answer my question!

    Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
    doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?

    I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

    Daave, May 12, 2007
  7. Daave

    Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote:

    >Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
    >
    >Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
    >doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
    >
    >I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

    Ping -a -r 9 <both ways> gives the same results
    ev1s-67-15-230-41.ev1servers.net:http

    One oddity, using TCPview
    67.15.230.41 always gets just one connection
    hexrpg.com gets three or more connections

    --
    Woman drives into a puddle
    http://poetry.rotten.com/suzuki/

    , May 12, 2007
  8. Daave wrote:

    >>> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    >>> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
    >>> (supposed to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address
    >>> yields a different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code
    >>> is merely:

    > Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
    >
    > Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
    > doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
    >
    > I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

    I thought we had this settled. hexrpg.com is on a shared web host
    server, possibly with a thousand other web sites. They all have the same
    IP address. You need to enter the actual domain name to get to the
    "Hogwarts Extreme" site.

    If your browser does not take you to the site, you may need to flush
    your DNS.

    http://www.tech-faq.com/flush-dns.shtml

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 12, 2007
  9. Daave

    Tester Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    >www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
    >to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    >different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

    There can be more than one website at a given IP.

    The website http://www.hexrpg.com is equivaleng to

    telnet 67.15.230.41 80
    GET / HTTP/1.1
    HOST: www.hexrpg.com

    The website http://67.15.230.41 is equivalent to

    telnet 67.15.230.41 80
    GET / HTTP/1.0

    or equivalently

    GET / HTTP/1.1
    HOST: 67.15.230.41

    If you want to browse a website named www.whatthefck.ca and either
    you can't resolve the address but you know what it should be or the IP
    has changed but you want to see the old website which hasn't been
    taken down you put a line in your hosts file like

    255.254.253.252 www.whatthefck.ca

    Your hosts file is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in
    XP/Vista
    It is in C:\windows\hosts in 98/ME
    It is in /etc/hosts in Linux

    DNS looks at your hosts file before it goes to your ISP's DNS server.

    Tester, May 12, 2007
  10. Daave

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Sat, 12 May 2007 01:55:44 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    >> Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    >> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >>> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
    >>> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
    >>> (supposed
    >>> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
    >>> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    >>> <HTML><HEAD>
    >>> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
    >>> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
    >>> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
    >>>
    >>> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained
    >>> only
    >>> the following cryptic statement:
    >>>
    >>> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
    >>>
    >>> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the
    >>> registrant is
    >>> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
    >>> for hexrpg.com?!
    >>>
    >>> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
    >>> (67 errors):
    >>>

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline
    >>>
    >>> Any explanations?
    >>>
    >>> For those who want to join the thread:
    >>>

    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c
    >>
    >> www.hexrpg.com
    >> Location of the Host IP address
    >> 67.15.230.41:
    >> Houston in United States.
    >> Click here for big Host satellite map.

    > Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
    >
    > Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
    > doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
    >
    > I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

    All of the sites at 67.15.230.41 are listed under bout us on the home
    page @ www.hexrpg.com and there are a bunch of them.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    5/12/2007 5:58:56 PM CST

    Old Gringo, May 13, 2007
  11. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About Sat, 12 May 2007 01:55:44 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    > Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    >> Old Gringo wrote:
    >>> On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    >>> Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
    >>> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6ac492aa2761ef30/7e64f87818dbb32c

    >>> www.hexrpg.com
    >>> Location of the Host IP address
    >>> 67.15.230.41:
    >>> Houston in United States.
    >>> Click here for big Host satellite map.

    >> Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
    >>
    >> Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
    >> doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
    >>
    >> I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

    > All of the sites at 67.15.230.41 are listed under bout us on the home
    > page @ www.hexrpg.com and there are a bunch of them.

    Thanks, all, for the explanations.

    Daave, May 13, 2007