IP address or something problem?!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    Twice now an icon has showed up on my systray indicating a loss of
    connectivity (and it was correct; I couldn't access any web pages or email).

    When I clicked on the icon and then clicked details, it said something about
    a loss of my IP address or something like that. The first time, I
    disconnected the cable going from my broadband cable modem to my computer
    and reconnected it and all went fine.

    But a few hours later, it happened again. The icon also gave me an option to
    "repair" the problem to reset my IP address. I did this and now all is
    working well (for the last hour anyway).

    Does anyone know what's going on?? Am I heading for some kind of hardware
    failure?

    I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home. I've had it about 15 months. I
    think it is still under warranty (2 years, I think).

    Mel

    MB_, Oct 22, 2004

  2. MB_

    Rick Merrill Guest

    MB_ wrote:

    > Twice now an icon has showed up on my systray indicating a loss of
    > connectivity (and it was correct; I couldn't access any web pages or email).
    >
    > When I clicked on the icon and then clicked details, it said something about
    > a loss of my IP address or something like that. The first time, I
    > disconnected the cable going from my broadband cable modem to my computer
    > and reconnected it and all went fine.
    >
    > But a few hours later, it happened again. The icon also gave me an option to
    > "repair" the problem to reset my IP address. I did this and now all is
    > working well (for the last hour anyway).
    >
    > Does anyone know what's going on?? Am I heading for some kind of hardware
    > failure?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home. I've had it about 15 months. I
    > think it is still under warranty (2 years, I think).
    >
    > Mel

    Probably not your hardware, but an IP conflict either on your WAN (ISP
    issue) or on your LAN (DHCP issue). Wait and see.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 22, 2004

  3. MB_

    Hamman Guest

    "MB_" <> wrote in message
    > Twice now an icon has showed up on my systray indicating a loss of
    > connectivity (and it was correct; I couldn't access any web pages or
    > email).
    >
    > When I clicked on the icon and then clicked details, it said something
    > about
    > a loss of my IP address or something like that. The first time, I
    > disconnected the cable going from my broadband cable modem to my computer
    > and reconnected it and all went fine.
    >
    > But a few hours later, it happened again. The icon also gave me an option
    > "repair" the problem to reset my IP address. I did this and now all is
    > working well (for the last hour anyway).
    >
    > Does anyone know what's going on?? Am I heading for some kind of hardware
    > failure?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home. I've had it about 15 months. I
    > think it is still under warranty (2 years, I think).
    >
    > Mel

    Its likely your ISP reset the IP address block on the machine you were
    connected to. They do this occasionally to ensure that free IP addresses are
    not accidentally marked as in use by thier systems.

    Hamman

    Hamman, Oct 22, 2004
  4. MB_

    Vivid Maniac Guest

    I've been having the same problem with mine. For the last 3 days it goes
    out every 3-12 hours, and I have to reset the modem and it works again.
    Huge pain when you set up something to download overnight, wake to find out
    it only downloaded 5% of the file before the modem screwed up.

    Vivid Maniac, Oct 22, 2004