    modem?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Mar 12, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    Buffalo Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    > modem?

    Depends on your operating system.
    On some, you just type ipconfig in the run box (Start,Run) and press OK.
    Others, like Win2000Pro, you hit Start, Run type cmd and press Enter to
    get to a command prompt.
    Then you type in ipconfig and press Enter. To exit out of the command
    prompt, type exit and then press Enter.

    Now, if you are looking for the MAC address of the modem to give to your
    Internet Service Provider, it is usually on a sticker on the bottom of the
    modem.
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Mar 12, 2010

  3. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    > modem?

    I presume you mean your address for the WAN widearea network, the internet.

    If your cable modem has an internal html page, you can look at that.

    You can go to a 'what is my IP' type website, such as IP chicken
    http://www.ipchicken.com/ which can also be reached by its IP if your
    nameservice is broken http://209.68.27.16/

    If you have a router with an internal page, you can look at that.

    And your sig delimiter is still broken.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 12, 2010
  4. Alasdair wrote:

    > Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    > modem?

    A bare cable modem doesn't necessarily have a (WAN side) IP address. It
    should, however, have a configuration page usually viewable by connecting
    to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.100
    Some ISPs block access to their cable modem configuration entirely,
    though.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 12, 2010
  5. Alasdair

    Jan B Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> schreef in
    bericht news:...
    > Alasdair wrote:
    >
    >> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    >> modem?
    >>

    > A bare cable modem doesn't necessarily have a (WAN side) IP address. It
    > should, however, have a configuration page usually viewable by connecting
    > to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.100
    > Some ISPs block access to their cable modem configuration entirely,
    > though.

    Sometimes 10.0.0.nnn is used
    Jan B, Mar 12, 2010
  6. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:34:49 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    >Moat newer cable modems have their config page IP written on them.
    >What kind/model modem does the OP have? Easy to google.

    Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
    access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
    believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
    I do this?

    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Mar 16, 2010
  7. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Alasdair wrote:

    > Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
    > access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
    > believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
    > I do this?

    There will be way too much trial and error of different IP addresses
    unless you put forth a little effort.

    Get a flashlight and get up close to the router and look on its bottom
    or its end and its front for some identifying characteristics. It is
    highly unlikely that it doesn't have a badge with its brand name. My
    router has a brand name in the front and on its end it has a stamp with
    its modelno.

    My switch has its brandname & modelno on the front and also both on the
    bottom where its part number and serial number are also found.

    Even my tacky little hub has its brandname and modelno on the front
    where they are in a color that is hard to read.

    For these purposes, your brand and modelno will be sufficient. My
    router's IP address is http://192.168.1.1

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 16, 2010
  8. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:57:46 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:46:08 +0000, Alasdair <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
    >>access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
    >>believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
    >>I do this?

    >Start, run, command <enter>
    >Ipconfig <enter>
    >Look for Default Gateway. Possibly something like 192.168.1.1 . Put
    >that address in your web browser.
    >As for the username and password to access the router's web interface,
    >without knowing the model, we can only guess. admin / password, admin
    >/ admin, administrator / password, etc. The screen MAY say the make
    >and model of the router, in which case you can do some googling and
    >find the username / password.

    Thank you very much indeed. My problem is now solved.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Mar 16, 2010
  9. Alasdair

    Jordon Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:34:49 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Moat newer cable modems have their config page IP written on them.
    >> What kind/model modem does the OP have? Easy to google.

    > Thanks folks for all your help. I think what I really need is how to
    > access my wireless router. I don't know the make or model and I
    > believe it is possible to access it from my computer. Please, how do
    > I do this?

    I thought it was a cable modem. If it's a router open
    your browser and type either of these two ip addresses
    into the address bar...

    192.168.0.1
    192.168.1.1

    And see what happens. You may see a screen with the make and
    model of the router. Search google for...

    default user password router

    There are many lists out there.

    But if it's a cable modem, all bets are off.
    Jordon, Mar 16, 2010
  10. On 3/12/2010 6:30 AM, Alasdair wrote:
    > Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    > modem?
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    type whatismyip in google
    click on first result

    you will get your ip
    won't be same everytime, its dynamic
    Keshav Sharma, Mar 17, 2010
  11. Keshav Sharma wrote:

    > Alasdair wrote:
    >> Please, can someone tell me how to find the IP address of my cable
    >> modem?

    > type whatismyip in google
    > click on first result

    Why run him through google? The direct URL is:
    http://whatismyip.com/

    > you will get your ip
    > won't be same everytime, its dynamic

    ...and that depends on your service, dynamic or not. On my 'dynamic'
    cable service, I've had only three IP addresses in well over two years.

    And the question was answered six days ago. :)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 17, 2010