IP address of 837

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by S W, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. S W

    S W Guest

    Hi,

    I have an 837 which is running as (amongst other roles) the default
    gateway for the lan.
    We recently changed our lan IP address range from class b to class c. I
    changed the 837 IP address with the Cisco web interface (CRWS). It works
    fine in most respects. However, from a command line the Internet address
    of Ethernet0 is shown as the old class b address, and the new class c IP
    address is shown as the secondary ip address. As follows:

    Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is 128.66.1.250/16
    Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255
    Address determined by non-volatile memory
    MTU is 1500 bytes
    Helper address is not set
    Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled
    Secondary address 192.168.10.250/24

    I have also noticed that when I ping an external Ip address from a
    machine that is denied external access by an ACL, I get a message coming
    back as "Destination Net Unreachable" which is what I'd expect but the
    message says it comes "from" the old class b ip address.

    So, my question, (for anyone with the knowledge and inclination to
    help!), is - how do I change it the IP address from the old class b one,
    and what should I change it to?

    Thanks in advance,
    SW

    S W, Nov 22, 2006

  2. S W

    S W Guest

    chris wrote:

    > conf t
    > int Ethernet0
    > ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0
    >

    > "what should I change it to?"
    >
    > That's up to you!

    Thanks, Chris.
    I asked what to change it to because it is called the Internet address,
    and I wasn't sure if it needs to be the external IP address or not.
    And so if I change it to 192.168.10.250, then it will have the same
    address as listed as "Secondary address". Does that matter?

    Regards,
    SW

    S W, Nov 23, 2006

  3. S W

    S W Guest

    wrote:
    > S W wrote:
    >
    >>chris wrote:
    >>

    >>>conf t
    >>>int Ethernet0
    >>> ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0
    >>>

    >>>"what should I change it to?"
    >>>
    >>>That's up to you!
    >>>

    >>Thanks, Chris.
    >>I asked what to change it to because it is called the Internet address,
    >>and I wasn't sure if it needs to be the external IP address or not.
    >>And so if I change it to 192.168.10.250, then it will have the same
    >>address as listed as "Secondary address". Does that matter?

    > I think you may need to remove the secondary addres first.
    >
    > en
    > conf t
    > int Ethernet0
    > no ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0 sec
    > ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0
    >
    > end
    >
    > copy run start
    >
    > You will need to do this from a directly connected console
    > since IP comms may be lost.

    Hi,

    Thanks for your help. I didn't need to remove the secondary address
    first. All is OK now.

    Regards,
    SW

    S W, Nov 29, 2006
  4. S W

    S W Guest

    chris wrote:
    > "S W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>chris wrote:
    >>

    >>>conf t
    >>>int Ethernet0
    >>> ip address 192.168.10.250 255.255.255.0
    >>>

    >>>"what should I change it to?"
    >>>
    >>>That's up to you!

    >>Thanks, Chris.
    >>I asked what to change it to because it is called the Internet address,
    >>and I wasn't sure if it needs to be the external IP address or not.
    >>And so if I change it to 192.168.10.250, then it will have the same
    >>address as listed as "Secondary address". Does that matter?
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>SW

    > On an 837 the Ethernet0 address is the LAN port and ATM0/Dialer1/BVI1
    > (whatever you have) is the public address. Or at least that's one way to do
    > it.
    >
    > If you add in 192.168.10.250 as the main address then the secondary will
    > disappear.
    >
    > Chris.

    That's what I did.

    Thanks for your help,