IP Address/Internet connection problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Travis, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I just recently got Cable internet from Persona. It included a modem,
    put only one ethernet port. So I plugged that into my TELUS ADSL (D-
    LINk DSL-604+) router and then my other computers and main comptuters
    in the 2-3-4 ports. This has been working fine, until today. My other
    computers wouldn't connect. It will acquire an IP address from my
    router, but not recive a connection. I have re-installed Windows, used
    IP Config, repaired my connection and can say that it is not a
    software problem.

    I have directly connected my cable modem to my main computer (via
    ethernet cable) and it will get a good IP and connect. But if I
    directly connection my laptop or other computer (with the main one
    unplugged, and neither at the same time) it will still not connect,
    just get a "Limited connectivity notice".

    THis is the IPConfig output I get on my main working computer, it is
    always this but the other ones will never seem to get this even if
    it's direct.

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Internet:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: cablerocket.net
    IP Address: 64.114.222.78
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 64.114.222.1

    And here is what I get on my laptop or desktop, through router or
    directly.

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2 (**on my laptop this is 3, as it's
    the second computer)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (** this is the ip of my
    router)

    I have also reset my router, restored the connections and stuff. I'm
    wondering if Persona (cablerocket) doesn't allow multiple computers?
    I'm asking here before I ask tech support.
    Travis, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Travis

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Travis wrote:

    <snipped>

    > I have directly connected my cable modem to my main computer (via
    > ethernet cable) and it will get a good IP and connect. But if I
    > directly connection my laptop or other computer (with the main one
    > unplugged, and neither at the same time) it will still not connect,
    > just get a "Limited connectivity notice".

    It might be that the ISP is provisioning the first MAC behind the modem.
    That MAC will be the MAC of the computer's NIC that has been provisioned
    with your account to access the ISP's network and is the MAC of the
    computer that can connect to the ISP's network successfully.

    If the ISP is applying MAC provisioning, then MAC(s) belonging to other
    devices that can connect to the ISP's network are going to be prevented
    from connecting to the ISP's network.

    <snipped>

    > I have also reset my router, restored the connections and stuff. I'm
    > wondering if Persona (cablerocket) doesn't allow multiple computers?
    > I'm asking here before I ask tech support.

    You should check to see if the ISP is using MAC provisioning. If it is
    the case, then most routers have a MAC cloning feature. You can use that
    MAC cloning feature to clone the NIC MAC of the computer that can
    connect to the ISP's network and clone/enter that MAC into one of the
    router's configurations screens.

    The router will present the cloned MAC to the ISP instead of its own MAC
    or you can have the ISP provision the router's MAC as the first MAC
    behind the modem. The computers connected to the router should not have
    any problems connecting to the ISP's network in either case of which MAC
    is being presented the router's MAC or a cloned NIC's MAC.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I just cloned the address, but it's still not connecting. I have
    already cloned the address before once also. I'm wondering if this is
    a problem with my ISP, and not my computers.

    Travis, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Travis

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > I just cloned the address, but it's still not connecting. I have
    > already cloned the address before once also. I'm wondering if this is
    > a problem with my ISP, and not my computers.

    Maybe, the router has the problem. Routers do fail. If the router is not
    getting the same IP(s), then it could be a problem with the router.

    At the very least, the DNS IP(s) should be the same between what the
    router obtained and what the good computer's a with direct connection to
    the modem NIC has obtained from the ISP, if the router is getting a good
    connection to the ISP.

    There should be a router admin status screen that shows the IP(s) it has
    obtained from the ISP.

    The IP Address may be different between the two but the DNS IP(s) should
    be the same. If not, the router may be the problem.

    You may want to call the ISP and provision the router's MAC with the ISP
    to see if that does something, if the ISP is doing MAC provisioning.

    You may want to do a hard reset of the router and turn it off for awhile
    or even flash the router with its firmware, as the firmware can become
    sick in a router and has to be reloaded.

    Or the router could be gone, I hope not for you. But if it's under
    warrantee, then take it back and get a replacement.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 12, 2007