    Is there a way around this?

    Thanks

    Ikke

    ikkemij, Feb 8, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    ikkemij <> wrote:

    >On a PIX 501 I have the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute" on
    >the outside interface. However, when the PIX reboots, I won't get the
    >IP address back. I have to log on from the inside LAN and manually
    >issue the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute".

    >Is there a way around this?

    Probably not. The PIX tries for 30 seconds and then gives up.
    If it can't get a lease in 30 seconds, something outside it is
    going wrong.

    Hmmm, a thought: perhaps the link that it is connected to
    has Spanning Tree set up on it. If so then for the first 30 seconds,
    the port would just be listening for BPDU's to check to see if
    there was a topology problem. The PIX might be timing out on the dhcp
    about the same time that the port is finally ready to listen to it.

    If that happens to be the problem, then the admin of the next
    device over might be able to set spanning tree "portfast",
    or possibly turn off spanning tree altogether for that link.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 9, 2007

  3. ikkemij

    ikkemij Guest

    On 9 feb, 01:23, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > ikkemij <> wrote:
    > >On a PIX 501 I have the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute" on
    > >the outside interface. However, when the PIX reboots, I won't get the
    > >IP address back. I have to log on from the inside LAN and manually
    > >issue the command "ip address Internet dhcp setroute".
    > >Is there a way around this?

    > Probably not. The PIX tries for 30 seconds and then gives up.
    > If it can't get a lease in 30 seconds, something outside it is
    > going wrong.
    >
    > Hmmm, a thought: perhaps the link that it is connected to
    > has Spanning Tree set up on it. If so then for the first 30 seconds,
    > the port would just be listening for BPDU's to check to see if
    > there was a topology problem. The PIX might be timing out on the dhcp
    > about the same time that the port is finally ready to listen to it.
    >
    > If that happens to be the problem, then the admin of the next
    > device over might be able to set spanning tree "portfast",
    > or possibly turn off spanning tree altogether for that link.

    I thought of that, but there is no Spanning Tree on the other side.

    Thanks for the answer. At least now I know I can't help it. We'll just
    have to request a static IP address.

    ikkemij, Feb 9, 2007
  4. ikkemij

    mos_cit Guest

    mos_cit had written this in response to
    http://forums.cabling-design.com/cisco/Re-ip-address-interface-dhcp-setroute-28604-.htm
    :

    ikkemij wrote:

    > On 9 feb, 01:23, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >>
    >> ikkemij <> wrote:
    >> >On a PIX 501 I have the command "ip address Internet dhcp
    >>> setroute" on
    >> >the outside interface. However, when the PIX reboots, I won't
    >>> get the
    >> >IP address back. I have to log on from the inside LAN and
    >>> manually
    >> >issue the command "ip address Internet dhcp
    >>> setroute".
    >> >Is there a way around this?

    >> Probably not. The PIX tries for 30 seconds and then gives up.
    >> If it can't get a lease in 30 seconds, something outside it is
    >> going wrong.
    >>
    >> Hmmm, a thought: perhaps the link that it is connected to
    >> has Spanning Tree set up on it. If so then for the first 30
    >> seconds,
    >> the port would just be listening for BPDU's to check to see if
    >> there was a topology problem. The PIX might be timing out on the
    >> dhcp
    >> about the same time that the port is finally ready to listen to
    >> it.
    >>
    >> If that happens to be the problem, then the admin of the next
    >> device over might be able to set spanning tree
    >> "portfast",
    >> or possibly turn off spanning tree altogether for that link.

    > I thought of that, but there is no Spanning Tree on the other side.

    > Thanks for the answer. At least now I know I can't help it. We'll just
    > have to request a static IP address.

    -------------------------------------

    Note: The PIX CLI configuration used in version 7.x is also applicable to
    PIX 6.x. The only
    difference is that in versions earlier than PIX 6.3, the DHCP server can
    only be enabled on the inside
    interface. In PIX 6.3 and later the DHCP server can be enabled on any of
    the

    | http://forums.cabling-design.com/ |
    | *** a better way to USENET *** |
    | no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |
    | comp.dcom.sys.cisco - 46639 messages and counting! |

    mos_cit, Apr 2, 2011