    me the IP of the router. It should say the IP that I get in
    www.whatismyip.com but now it has changed. How can I make it display the IP
    it should say?
    beto, Mar 14, 2009

  2. beto

    Lem Guest

    beto wrote:
    > Hi, I disconnected my router and reconnected the modem so I could host a
    > game, but I couldn't host. I checked my IP in Command Prompt and it now gives
    > me the IP of the router. It should say the IP that I get in
    > www.whatismyip.com but now it has changed. How can I make it display the IP
    > it should say?

    Please add a few more details.

    You now have your computer directly connected to the modem?
    What kind of modem? Cable? DSL?
    Can you connect to the Internet?
    Did you reboot?
    What is reported by ipconfig /all?
    What "has changed"?
    What do you think the IP should be?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 14, 2009

  3. beto

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Whatsmyip gives you the External Internet IP given to you by the ISP.
    The IP of the Router is a local IP established by your system.
    These are two IPs have different numbers.
    http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
    The External IP is needed by people to connect to your server through the
    Internet.
    The Internal IP of the computer is needed if you Host locally or for Port
    forwarding.
    Most game sites explains how to host the game through a Router. It is
    usually a matter of open the few ports that are used by the game.
    If your Router is doing the ISP’s connection’s Authentication the Internet
    might not work when the computer is directly on the Modem.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 14, 2009