    is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to? I
    have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain ip
    addresses.
    Wayne Heigl, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Wayne Heigl

    Guest

    , Dec 28, 2006

  3. Wayne Heigl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Wayne Heigl wrote:

    > is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to?

    Not without a legal and timely warrant served on the connectivity
    provider, and even then the trail may be broken.

    > I have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain
    > ip addresses.

    For almost any value of 'who', that's not likely to happen. You are not
    likely to translate an IP into a meatspace identity without some
    identity sleuthing skills and some luck by the sleuth.

    You can 'translate' an IP address into the provider registered in the
    regional internet registry, of which there are 5 for the planet, arin,
    ripe, apnic, lacnic, & afrinic. If an IP has an rDNS, you can translate
    the IP into a name based on the PTR for the in-addr.arpa lookup.

    Those IPs which are dialup are very dynamic, so the IP address of a
    computer can change with every access. The dynamics of variability vary
    with the connectivity, say DSL vs cable; or they may be static and
    assigned.

    An IP address accessing your site may not belong to the accessor, but
    may be borrowed or serving as a proxy for purposes of anonymity for the
    accessor so as to deter the efforts of the identity sleuth.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Wayne Heigl

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:02:16 -0600, "Wayne Heigl" <>
    wrote:

    >is there a way to know whose computer an ip address is registered to? I
    >have a site tracker, and would like to know who belongs to certain ip
    >addresses.

    No. For the most part, a IP isn't registered to a computer. It's
    registered to a ISP (Internet Service Provider), and for the most
    part, people have dynamic IP's which mean once I disconnect from the
    internet (turn off my computer) or even every (X) hours, I'll get a
    new IP address and someone else will get my old IP address.
    Evan Platt, Dec 28, 2006