    earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    Gib Bogle, Dec 30, 2011

  2. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:32:20 +1300, in message <jdj0qo$klr$>
    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    > Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    > earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    > to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    > (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    A. Your open tabs are automatically saved, but not automatically restored.

    To restore your tabs at the start of the next session, use
    "History >> Restore Previous Session"

    B. If you want your tabs to be *automatically* restored every time you
    start Firefox, then in Firefox go to:
    "Tools >> Options >> General"
    and change the setting
    "When Firefox starts"
    "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Dec 30, 2011

  3. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 30/12/2011 2:34 p.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:32:20 +1300, in message<jdj0qo$klr$>
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    >> Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    >> earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    >> to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    >> (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    > A. Your open tabs are automatically saved, but not automatically restored.
    >
    > To restore your tabs at the start of the next session, use
    > "History>> Restore Previous Session"
    >

    > B. If you want your tabs to be *automatically* restored every time you
    > start Firefox, then in Firefox go to:
    > "Tools>> Options>> General"
    > and change the setting
    > "When Firefox starts"
    > "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

    Thank you Sir!

    Gib Bogle, Dec 30, 2011
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 31/12/2011 12:00 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Thank you Sir!

    > I find the concept of leaving one's browser open, let alone multiple tabs,
    > quite disturbing !
    >
    > geoff

    I don't know what you mean. Leaving it open when?

    Gib Bogle, Dec 30, 2011
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 30/12/2011 1:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > About once a week I find that I cannot access the network at my work
    > from my home Win7 machine. ping fails, and tracert does not manage a
    > single hop. The address is 130.216.11.141.
    >
    > I have found that the problem is resolved by restarting the computer.
    > This is a bit annoying, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    > Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    > earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    > to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    > (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    I should add that when this IP address is inaccessible I can still
    browse the rest of the web normally.

    Gib Bogle, Dec 31, 2011
  6. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    On 12/31/2011 5:47 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 30/12/2011 1:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> About once a week I find that I cannot access the network at my work
    >> from my home Win7 machine. ping fails, and tracert does not manage a
    >> single hop. The address is 130.216.11.141.
    >>
    >> I have found that the problem is resolved by restarting the computer.
    >> This is a bit annoying, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    >> Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    >> earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    >> to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    >> (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    > I should add that when this IP address is inaccessible I can still
    > browse the rest of the web normally.

    Check the logs of your router for it doing any "intrusion detection"
    carryon. I find with many parallel SSH transfers my old one would often
    block it and call it an attack.

    Richard, Dec 31, 2011
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 31/12/2011 6:45 p.m., Richard wrote:
    > On 12/31/2011 5:47 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> On 30/12/2011 1:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> About once a week I find that I cannot access the network at my work
    >>> from my home Win7 machine. ping fails, and tracert does not manage a
    >>> single hop. The address is 130.216.11.141.
    >>>
    >>> I have found that the problem is resolved by restarting the computer.
    >>> This is a bit annoying, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Any
    >>> suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    >>> Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    >>> earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    >>> to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    >>> (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    >> I should add that when this IP address is inaccessible I can still
    >> browse the rest of the web normally.

    > Check the logs of your router for it doing any "intrusion detection"
    > carryon. I find with many parallel SSH transfers my old one would often
    > block it and call it an attack.

    I had a look in Event Viewer (the only place I know to look for router
    messages) but I didn't see anything. Maybe I need to look somewhere else.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 1, 2012
  8. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 31/12/2011 6:45 p.m., Richard wrote:
    > On 12/31/2011 5:47 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> On 30/12/2011 1:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> About once a week I find that I cannot access the network at my work
    >>> from my home Win7 machine. ping fails, and tracert does not manage a
    >>> single hop. The address is 130.216.11.141.
    >>>
    >>> I have found that the problem is resolved by restarting the computer.
    >>> This is a bit annoying, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. Any
    >>> suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> One reason I don't like to restart is that I have to close Mozilla
    >>> Firefox and lose all the open tabs, which raises another question. On
    >>> earlier versions of Firefox it gave you the option of saving the tabs,
    >>> to be reopened when Firefox is started again. The current version
    >>> (8.0.1) doesn't do this. Can I select this behaviour somehow?

    >> I should add that when this IP address is inaccessible I can still
    >> browse the rest of the web normally.

    > Check the logs of your router for it doing any "intrusion detection"
    > carryon. I find with many parallel SSH transfers my old one would often
    > block it and call it an attack.

    More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    Gib Bogle, Jan 6, 2012
  9. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <je6864$mk5$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > On 31/12/2011 6:45 p.m., Richard wrote:

    > >> I should add that when this IP address is inaccessible I can still
    > >> browse the rest of the web normally.

    > > Check the logs of your router for it doing any "intrusion detection"
    > > carryon. I find with many parallel SSH transfers my old one would often
    > > block it and call it an attack.

    > More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    > (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    > exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    > network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    > doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    > the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    > host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).

    You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    to be against their security policy.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 6, 2012
  10. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 7, 1:36 am, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <je6864$>, , Gib
    > Bogle says...

    > > > Check the logs of your router for it doing any "intrusion detection"
    > > > carryon. I find with many parallel SSH transfers my old one would often
    > > > block it and call it an attack.

    > > More info:  I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    > > (Remote Desktop).  I have now determined that when this error condition
    > > exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    > > network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    > > doesn't get to my DSL modem).  If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    > > the host again.  In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    > > host IP to be blocked for other processes.  Does this make sense?

    > That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    > risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    > could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    >
    > You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    > to be against their security policy.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan.

    I get around that by running the VPN on a virtual PC.

    JohnO, Jan 7, 2012
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 7/01/2012 1:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    >> More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    >> (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    >> exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    >> network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    >> doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    >> the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    >> host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    > That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    > risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    > could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    >
    > You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    > to be against their security policy.

    I'm rather confused by what you say. My REASON for using VPN is to be
    able to work remotely on my work machine, using Windows Remote Desktop.
    In fact this is what VPN enables me to do, most of the time. Since
    the VPN software was supplied and is supported by our IT people, it's
    highly unlikely that they don't approve of it.

    As I said initially, most of the time the VPN connection enables me to
    use Remote Desktop to access my work machine from home, and also to
    access the work domain just like any other web site. When something odd
    happens, an error condition is created in which I can still connect to
    the work VPN, but all accesses to the work domain, including Remote
    Desktop, web browsing, ping, are disabled while the VPN connection is
    up. If I disconnect from the VPN normal domain access is restored.

    Have I not explained the situation clearly? I'm not very familiar with
    the terminology and the technology.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 8, 2012
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 8/01/2012 12:52 p.m., JohnO wrote:

    >>> More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    >>> (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    >>> exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    >>> network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    >>> doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    >>> the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    >>> host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    >> That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    >> risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    >> could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    >>
    >> You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    >> to be against their security policy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan.

    > I get around that by running the VPN on a virtual PC.

    Maybe I didn't make it clear that it's the public web site at work that
    I lose access to, specifically auckland.ac.nz. I don't believe this is
    generally considered to present a security risk. Disconnecting from the
    VPN restores normal browser access. This problem occurs only
    intermittently, about once a week.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 8, 2012
  13. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 9/01/2012 12:09 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 7/01/2012 1:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >>> More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    >>> (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    >>> exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    >>> network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    >>> doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    >>> the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    >>> host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    >> That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    >> risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    >> could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    >>
    >> You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    >> to be against their security policy.

    > I'm rather confused by what you say. My REASON for using VPN is to be
    > able to work remotely on my work machine, using Windows Remote Desktop.
    > In fact this is what VPN enables me to do, most of the time. Since the
    > VPN software was supplied and is supported by our IT people, it's highly
    > unlikely that they don't approve of it.
    >
    > As I said initially, most of the time the VPN connection enables me to
    > use Remote Desktop to access my work machine from home, and also to
    > access the work domain just like any other web site. When something odd
    > happens, an error condition is created in which I can still connect to
    > the work VPN, but all accesses to the work domain, including Remote
    > Desktop, web browsing, ping, are disabled while the VPN connection is
    > up. If I disconnect from the VPN normal domain access is restored.
    >
    > Have I not explained the situation clearly? I'm not very familiar with
    > the terminology and the technology.

    Might this be of use ?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

    victor, Jan 9, 2012
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 9/01/2012 1:04 p.m., victor wrote:

    > Might this be of use ?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

    Thanks. That article is for Windows NT and 2000, not Windows 7. In any
    case, I can connect to the internet normally when this error exists, all
    the internet except for the auckland.ac.nz domain.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 9, 2012
  15. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 9/01/2012 1:17 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 9/01/2012 1:04 p.m., victor wrote:
    >
    >> Might this be of use ?
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

    > Thanks. That article is for Windows NT and 2000, not Windows 7. In any
    > case, I can connect to the internet normally when this error exists, all
    > the internet except for the auckland.ac.nz domain.
    >
    > Gib

    Maybe it is to do with the dns lookup when both are connected then. Can
    you connect to the auckland.ac.nz sites by ip number ?

    victor, Jan 9, 2012
  16. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 9/01/2012 1:35 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 9/01/2012 1:17 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> On 9/01/2012 1:04 p.m., victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Might this be of use ?
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025

    >> Thanks. That article is for Windows NT and 2000, not Windows 7. In any
    >> case, I can connect to the internet normally when this error exists, all
    >> the internet except for the auckland.ac.nz domain.
    >>
    >> Gib

    > Maybe it is to do with the dns lookup when both are connected then. Can
    > you connect to the auckland.ac.nz sites by ip number ?

    It's not a dns issue - the IP number is correctly determined. tracert
    shows that the packet fails to reach my ADSL modem.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 9, 2012
  17. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jed7n8$mei$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > On 7/01/2012 1:36 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > >> More info: I use Cisco VPN client to use my work computer from home
    > >> (Remote Desktop). I have now determined that when this error condition
    > >> exists, it is being connected to the host via VPN that makes the host
    > >> network unreachable (Remote Desktop doesn't connect, ping fails, tracert
    > >> doesn't get to my DSL modem). If I disconnect from VPN then I can ping
    > >> the host again. In other words, the VPN client is somehow causing the
    > >> host IP to be blocked for other processes. Does this make sense?

    > > That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    > > risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    > > could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    > >
    > > You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    > > to be against their security policy.

    > I'm rather confused by what you say. My REASON for using VPN is to be
    > able to work remotely on my work machine, using Windows Remote Desktop.
    > In fact this is what VPN enables me to do, most of the time. Since
    > the VPN software was supplied and is supported by our IT people, it's
    > highly unlikely that they don't approve of it.

    It's not the VPN s/w itself the IT folk will be worried about, but the
    subsequent internet connection once the VPN link is up.

    > As I said initially, most of the time the VPN connection enables me to
    > use Remote Desktop to access my work machine from home, and also to
    > access the work domain just like any other web site. When something odd
    > happens, an error condition is created in which I can still connect to
    > the work VPN, but all accesses to the work domain, including Remote
    > Desktop, web browsing, ping, are disabled while the VPN connection is
    > up. If I disconnect from the VPN normal domain access is restored.
    >
    > Have I not explained the situation clearly? I'm not very familiar with
    > the terminology and the technology.

    I'd be talking to the work IT folk to resolve the problem. It does
    sound like things aren't working at times - sometimes these are local
    and remote IP conflicts. All in all, your IT support folk should be
    able to help, given they provide and setup the VPN s/w and link. Maybe
    it's at the VPN server end?, hence talk to the IT folk. The usual VPN
    secure link provides access to domain shares etc, just as if you are at
    work. Most VPN setups will lock out local internet access while up for
    security, but it doesn't sound like this is your problem as I originally
    guessed sorry.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 9, 2012
  18. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > In article <jed7n8$mei$>, , Gib
    > Bogle says...

    > > > That is normal behavious for most VPN connections - it is a security
    > > > risk otherwise - in that your local internet connection and computer
    > > > could provide a path to your work (VPN connection).
    > > >
    > > > You can workaround it, IIRC, but I'd ask your work first, as it's likely
    > > > to be against their security policy.

    > > I'm rather confused by what you say. My REASON for using VPN is to be
    > > able to work remotely on my work machine, using Windows Remote Desktop.
    > > In fact this is what VPN enables me to do, most of the time. Since
    > > the VPN software was supplied and is supported by our IT people, it's
    > > highly unlikely that they don't approve of it.

    > It's not the VPN s/w itself the IT folk will be worried about, but the
    > subsequent internet connection once the VPN link is up.
    >

    > > As I said initially, most of the time the VPN connection enables me to
    > > use Remote Desktop to access my work machine from home, and also to
    > > access the work domain just like any other web site. When something odd
    > > happens, an error condition is created in which I can still connect to
    > > the work VPN, but all accesses to the work domain, including Remote
    > > Desktop, web browsing, ping, are disabled while the VPN connection is
    > > up. If I disconnect from the VPN normal domain access is restored.
    > >
    > > Have I not explained the situation clearly? I'm not very familiar with
    > > the terminology and the technology.

    > I'd be talking to the work IT folk to resolve the problem. It does
    > sound like things aren't working at times - sometimes these are local
    > and remote IP conflicts. All in all, your IT support folk should be
    > able to help, given they provide and setup the VPN s/w and link. Maybe
    > it's at the VPN server end?, hence talk to the IT folk. The usual VPN
    > secure link provides access to domain shares etc, just as if you are at
    > work. Most VPN setups will lock out local internet access while up for
    > security, but it doesn't sound like this is your problem as I originally
    > guessed sorry.

    Here's an article by Thomas Shinder on Windows Server 2008 and VPN setup
    - dunno if it'll help you though...

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Configuring-Windows-Server-2008-
    Remote-Access-SSL-VPN-Server-Part1.html

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Configuring-Windows-Server-2008-
    Remote-Access-SSL-VPN-Server-Part2.html

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jan 9, 2012
  19. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 10/01/2012 11:12 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:

    > I'd be talking to the work IT folk to resolve the problem. It does
    > sound like things aren't working at times - sometimes these are local
    > and remote IP conflicts. All in all, your IT support folk should be
    > able to help, given they provide and setup the VPN s/w and link. Maybe
    > it's at the VPN server end?, hence talk to the IT folk. The usual VPN
    > secure link provides access to domain shares etc, just as if you are at
    > work. Most VPN setups will lock out local internet access while up for
    > security, but it doesn't sound like this is your problem as I originally
    > guessed sorry.

    The problem is clearly at my end, i.e. Win7, since tracert shows that
    the packet does not make the first hop, to my DSL modem. As soon as I
    disconnect from the VPN the packet gets through.

    The IT people have not been able to make any useful suggestions.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 9, 2012
  20. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jefu5i$n1h$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > On 10/01/2012 11:12 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > I'd be talking to the work IT folk to resolve the problem. It does
    > > sound like things aren't working at times - sometimes these are local
    > > and remote IP conflicts. All in all, your IT support folk should be
    > > able to help, given they provide and setup the VPN s/w and link. Maybe
    > > it's at the VPN server end?, hence talk to the IT folk. The usual VPN
    > > secure link provides access to domain shares etc, just as if you are at
    > > work. Most VPN setups will lock out local internet access while up for
    > > security, but it doesn't sound like this is your problem as I originally
    > > guessed sorry.
    > >

    > The problem is clearly at my end, i.e. Win7, since tracert shows that
    > the packet does not make the first hop, to my DSL modem. As soon as I
    > disconnect from the VPN the packet gets through.
    >
    > The IT people have not been able to make any useful suggestions.

    You've sorta lost me, again :) You said previously that you lose
    internet access on your *work* PC?

    There's usually not much to do on the client side of a VPN connection -
    what VPN s/w are you using?... Win 7 or third party?

    And on your above reply, what sort of packet doesn't make it to your
    modem? Is this an internet destined packet? This is normal behaviour
    if you have a VPN connection up (you lose local internet (and network)
    access).

    I'm also wondering if you have a VPN credentials problem ??? If you
    have a Windows Live a/c, then check this article out (Vista, but
    probably the same for W7)...
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-
    US/itprovistanetworking/thread/275599f0-6239-46a5-8245-50a5c13a2713/

    Otherwise, I think you should install a packet sniffer such Wireshark or
    Microsoft Network Monitor on your PC and hopefully find out exactly
    what's happening...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4865
    http://www.wireshark.org/

    And one other question, what server OS?