IP Address Block Assignment

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Folks:

    Let us assume that a large multinational company is about to setup a
    standard corporate network with global reach. Here are a few related
    questions:

    * HOW does the company get an IP address block assigned to it for its
    global network to function ?
    * WHO assigns the IP address block to be used in the company's global
    network ?
    * Does the company have a CHOICE in selecting its IP address block ?
    * Can someone walk me through the PROCESS from the point of applying
    for a block of IP addresses to the point of having same assigned to the
    company ?

    Any references/links to good literature describing the assignment process
    would be deeply appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jo.
    Guest, Feb 1, 2006

  2. In article <>, <JoJo> writes:
    >Folks:
    >

    >Let us assume that a large multinational company is about to setup a
    >standard corporate network with global reach. Here are a few related
    >questions:
    >
    > * HOW does the company get an IP address block assigned to it for its
    >global network to function ?

    It has to apply for it. If it is a huge and international company it would be
    best to contat IANA directly (http://www.iana.org/).

    > * WHO assigns the IP address block to be used in the company's global
    >network ?

    See above.

    > * Does the company have a CHOICE in selecting its IP address block ?

    I doubt it but who knows...

    > * Can someone walk me through the PROCESS from the point of applying
    >for a block of IP addresses to the point of having same assigned to the
    >company ?

    This is nothing complicated. You apply for it and either you get it or you
    don't. Usually you have to complete a sheet of paper and mail it. Not too
    complicated.

    > Any references/links to good literature describing the assignment process
    >would be deeply appreciated.

    Again, have a look at http://www.iana.org/.

    But besides the numbers/IP addresses you should think about the domain names.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
    Christoph Gartmann, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Christoph Gartmann, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    stephen Guest

    <JoJo> wrote in message news:...
    > Folks:
    >

    > Let us assume that a large multinational company is about to setup a
    > standard corporate network with global reach. Here are a few related
    > questions:

    1st basic assumption that is wrong - that you need a global block of space.

    it is common practice to use the private address space - see RFC1918 - this
    gives you 16M+ addresses to play with.

    you can ask for a unique allocation to use where addresses need to be
    unique - e.g. for management of MPLS VPNs where you dont want to clash with
    customer address space, or for an private extranet.

    Assuming you use it for interconnect to the outside world (i.e the
    internet), then:
    even if you get it, it will complicate the network design, since any ISP you
    connect to globally may deliver packets to any point where you connect to
    the internet
    - so you need to either split up the block (in which case you might as well
    have several blocks assigned separately by the ISP in each region)
    - or you have to route between all your ISP interconnects...

    in reality you use public addresses where you have to, and private addresses
    elsewhere (or you go to IPv6 where you can have a lot more for the asking).

    when you ask for an allocation you are expected to justify the no of
    addresses - last time i did this (a long time ago) you could take 2 years
    projected growth into account....

    > * HOW does the company get an IP address block assigned to it for

    its
    > global network to function ?

    the assignment policies are public docs - read them. try the registry for
    the part of the world where the company has its HQ.

    > * WHO assigns the IP address block to be used in the company's

    global
    > network ?

    local registry?

    > * Does the company have a CHOICE in selecting its IP address block ?

    No

    > * Can someone walk me through the PROCESS from the point of applying
    > for a block of IP addresses to the point of having same assigned to the
    > company ?

    read the manual :)

    > Any references/links to good literature describing the assignment process
    > would be deeply appreciated.

    1 starting point:
    http://www.ripe.net/info/faq/

    --