    machine? I am assuming that use of a firewall would block the IP info. I am
    running Win95A with the security SPs.

    TIA

    Edge, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Edge

    Eric Guest

    IP address does not reveal your personal information, but your ISP company
    information. However, if you are using static IP address (such as cable
    internet), it can be traced. Internet browser (IE, Netscape) send your IP
    address, broswer type, version and your operating system date while you are
    surfing the internet. It does not have security threats to your computer. If
    your concern your privary, you should use some anonmyous suring software,
    service or using proxy server.
    Cookie is also another way to keep trace of your website visted with small
    data stored. The type of data is varied depeneding on the website you
    visited.
    If your are still concern your security risk, use Symantec security check to
    test your PC.
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym

    Eric

    Eric, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in news:LZ6%b.42423$aH3.1321552@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > but I've noticed some sites display the IP address
    > while your view pages. Is this done by accessing an open port on the
    > machine?

    You connect to their webserver to display the page. When you do this, they
    simply check the IP you are connecting from (your public IP address is sent
    along with every request to any website, email server, news server, /any/
    request that is going to require a response), throw that into the page, and
    boom, they make it look like they know who you are and are inside your
    machine. Some even put "links" to your C: drive so it looks like they can
    read data from your PC, but that's also a complete lie, they just tell your
    browser to go to file:///c|/ which shows drive C:.

    Some places go as far as looking up who owns your ISP address and warning
    you that they know your IP address, ISP, web browser, operating system, and
    "much more". It's a scare tactic.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Edge

    George Guest

    Thanks for the link...I wasn't aware of a Symantec security check.
    Ironically, the ONLY thing it complained about on my PC was my antivirus
    protection (I use Norton Anti-Virus w/a current subscription and signatures
    updated daily AND AVG).

    George

    George, Feb 26, 2004