"ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latest IOS for 2514 and 2509?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ed Kideys, Tech-Train, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    When all else fails, I turn to usenet. I would like to use my Cisco
    2514 router to replace the Linksys BEFX41 Firewall VPN Point Router
    which is the border router between my company's LAN and the ISP. In
    order to pull this off, I have to setup the 2514 to do NAT and PAT,
    which should be quite an exercise.

    However, I have not even been able to configure the ethernet1
    interface which is connected to the ISP for DHCP. I have been told
    that if I have the latest release of IOS, I should be able to enter
    "ip addr dhcp". Right now, I don't have this option with this IOS,
    only static ips. I need dhcp because the ISP requires it.

    I went to the Cisco site, but could not find a public download area
    for the latest 2500 series IOS releases. I don't have a service
    agreement with Cisco and even if I did, the 2500 series are no longer
    supported.

    Could someone out there help me out and email a copy of the latest IOS
    for 2500 series router that supports setup of dhcp on interfaces? Or
    point me to the right place? It sure ain't Cisco.com

    Also, I don't think what I am trying to do here is unusual, but I
    would be interested in any comments. Thanks

    Ed Kideys

    Ed Kideys, Tech-Train, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Ed Kideys, Tech-Train

    News Account Guest

    Smartnet is still available...

    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=090434&RecommendedForEDC=107879&RecoType=warranty

    Don Woodward

    News Account, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Tech-Train Ed Kideys wrote:

    > order to pull this off, I have to setup the 2514 to do NAT and PAT,
    > which should be quite an exercise.
    >
    > However, I have not even been able to configure the ethernet1
    > interface which is connected to the ISP for DHCP. I have been told
    > that if I have the latest release of IOS, I should be able to enter
    > "ip addr dhcp". Right now, I don't have this option with this IOS,
    > only static ips. I need dhcp because the ISP requires it.

    How much memory (ram and flash) is available in your 2514? You will
    probably need 16M flash memory and 10 or even 16M dram.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft
    /121t/121t2/dt_dhcpc.htm

    --
    Joop van der Velden

    Joop van der Velden, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Re: "ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latestIOS for 2514 and 2509?

    Do you already have the IOS image? If not, reply.

    Regards,
    Wence

    Wence Van der Meersch, Apr 30, 2004