IOS update - something went wrong :-)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. hi @all,

    i updated my ios from version 12.2 -> 12.3
    i did the following:
    CISCO# copy tftp flash
    i was asked to confirm erasing the old ios. well, i confirmed that :)
    k! the new ios was copied to flash and i was told that the flashing
    process went "[OK]" :) fine!

    so i decided to restart the router to take the new ios in place.
    now i have the following situation after power on:

    ----------------------console--------------------------------------------
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support:
    http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 30-132) platform with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

    program load complete, entry point: 0x80013000, size: 0x95e7d8
    Self decompressing the image : #######################.....[OK]

    then the boot-process stops. well, it seems to me because there is
    no more output nor reaction on any input via console :-(

    did I do something wrong? did i forget any procedure-step ?
    if there went something wrong? how can i reproduce the old situation?

    many thanks in advance
    greets

    elmar
    elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005

  2. elmar bschorer

    Neil Guest

    Did you check if your router has enough RAM to support the new IOS version?

    If you didn't you can try using the link below to find out how much memory
    is required to run the 12.3 image, you'll need a CCO account to use it
    though, or just post the exact filename of the image you uploaded and I'll
    check it for you.

    http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

    Neil, Feb 1, 2005

  3. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:38:11 +0000, Neil wrote:

    > Did you check if your router has enough RAM to support the new IOS version?
    >
    > If you didn't you can try using the link below to find out how much memory
    > is required to run the 12.3 image, you'll need a CCO account to use it
    > though,

    i have none :-(
    or just post the exact filename of the image you uploaded and I'll
    > check it for you.

    thanx very much:
    original: c836-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.ZH2.bin
    desired: c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin

    BTW, I could already rstore my old IOS with tftpdnld - so i don't need any
    help for booting my old ios :) but thanks anyway:)

    greets elmar

    elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005
  4. elmar bschorer

    Guest

    You need 48M DRAM for the later release.

    Looks like you have 32.
    , Feb 1, 2005
  5. elmar bschorer

    Neil Guest

    That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
    any of the 12.3 series.

    I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
    http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/tools.shtml#software and it seems
    that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM

    c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
    Min. Memory: 32
    Min. Flash: 8
    Date released: 26-MAR-2004

    Neil, Feb 1, 2005
  6. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:51:19 +0000, Neil wrote:

    > That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
    > any of the 12.3 series.
    >
    > I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
    > http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/tools.shtml#software and it seems
    > that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
    >
    > c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
    > Min. Memory: 32
    > Min. Flash: 8
    > Date released: 26-MAR-2004

    k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
    bad news. :-(

    well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
    data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
    "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet09186a008014ee18.html

    there you can find:
    - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
    - AES encryption*
    - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
    - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*

    all items with that nice "*"

    and the footnote:
    "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release

    hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
    there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
    features by updating to a future release!

    now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
    chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
    of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
    run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
    seems like a kind of "piss take", doesn't it?

    greets elmar
    elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005
  7. On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:27:35 +0100, elmar bschorer wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:51:19 +0000, Neil wrote:
    >
    >> That's right you'll need 48M DRAM to run c836-k9o3sy6-mz.123-11.T3.bin and
    >> any of the 12.3 series.
    >>
    >> I checked the IOS Upgrade Planner at
    >> http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/support/tac/tools.shtml#software and it seems
    >> that 12.2.13-ZH4 is the latest you can run with 32M DRAM
    >>
    >> c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin
    >> Min. Memory: 32
    >> Min. Flash: 8
    >> Date released: 26-MAR-2004
    >>

    > k! neil, thank you very much for your information even though these are
    > bad news. :-(
    >
    > well, i bought this router at ebay. before i bought that router i read the
    > data-sheet for this model (c836) at cisco.com carefully, especially:
    > "Table 1. Key Product Features and Benefits" at
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet09186a008014ee18.html
    >
    > there you can find:
    > - Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS)*
    > - AES encryption*
    > - URL filtering with WebSENSE and N2H2 software and server*
    > - IPSec NAT Transparency (NAT Traversal or NAT Aware IPSec)*
    >
    > all items with that nice "*"
    >
    > and the footnote:
    > "*" Features targeted for a future Cisco IOS Software release
    >
    > hmm, now i am totally confused, on the one hand the data sheet tells that
    > there is no support for that services (with "*"), but i could enable that
    > features by updating to a future release!
    >
    > now, when i have 12.2 running, version 12.3 is obviously the only
    > chance to update the router, isn`t it? so, if this doesn't work...because
    > of too less RAM - well, what chance do i have now to get those services to
    > run!? what does cisco expect me to do?
    > seems like a kind of "piss take", doesn't it?
    >
    > greets elmar

    k, i will update to the lastest possible release:
    c836-k9o3sy6-mz.122-13.ZH4.bin and hope that then all those "*" services
    are supported :)

    greets again
    elmar
    elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005
  8. elmar bschorer

    Neil Guest

    If you want to run the 12.3 IOS version you can add 16 DRAM module,
    MEM820-16D= is the code for the module you'll need, I got this from the link
    below which gives you the information about the memory and the upgrade
    procedure.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_installation_guide09186a00800aff5f.html

    Heres a link at eBay with the memory you need
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16211&item=6740516873&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

    Neil, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Neil, thank you very much again for your great support :)
    i will get some DRAM for my router. but one thing still is strange to me...
    after i had flashed the new ios and started the router the decompressing
    image progress-bar ended with [OK].
    well, to me, outputs like this say that everything went well but
    apparently they haven't!
    for this case, some kind of notification or just a "[FAILED]" would be
    desirable :) btw :)

    greets
    elmar

    elmar bschorer, Feb 1, 2005
  10. elmar bschorer

    Neil Guest

    Well with 32M DRAM there's probably enough RAM for the IOS to fit into
    memory, but then there's not enough memory left to run the image and it just
    stalls at that point.

    Neil, Feb 1, 2005