IOS firewall - how to create an opening?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by X-Eliminator, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. X-Eliminator

    X-Eliminator Guest

    I have a 1721 router with IOS firewall that is blocking traffic as
    expected. The problem is that I want to create an opening so that the
    firewall does not block a certain IP address or UDP protocol. I
    already have ACL permit statements applied to the WAN & fastethernet
    ports to permit the desired UDP & IP's. I have looked at all the
    options for the IP Inspect command but don't see where I can create
    this exception and I have also removed all ip inspect statements
    relating to UDP. Can anyone tell me how I can force the firewall to
    permit the below traffic without disabling the FW completely?
    It's the firewall that is giving me trouble, not the ACL's or my IPS.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

    Here is the message in the log which shows that the FW is blocking my
    traffic:

    Mar 22 14:18:35 CDT: %FW-6-DROP_UDP_PKT: Dropping udp pkt
    216.115.30.200:69 => 192.168.0.75:2060 with ip ident 16221 due to
    Bidirectional traffic disabled

    and here are the IP Inspect statements:

    ip inspect log drop-pkt
    ip inspect one-minute low 200
    ip inspect one-minute high 300
    ip inspect dns-timeout 4
    ip inspect tcp idle-time 15
    ip inspect tcp finwait-time 1
    ip inspect tcp synwait-time 15
    ip inspect tcp max-incomplete host 40 block-time 30
    ip inspect name myfw cuseeme timeout 15
    ip inspect name myfw realaudio timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw h323 timeout 3600
    ip inspect name myfw icmp alert on timeout 15
    ip inspect name myfw rpc program-number 100008 timeout 15
    ip inspect name myfw vdolive timeout 15
    ip inspect name myfw streamworks timeout 5
    ip inspect name myfw sqlnet timeout 5
    ip inspect name myfw skinny timeout 5
    ip inspect name myfw rtsp timeout 5
    ip inspect name myfw netshow timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw rcmd alert on timeout 15
    ip inspect name myfw sip alert on timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw tftp timeout 5
    ip inspect name myfw http timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw fragment maximum 400 timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw tcp alert on timeout 30
    ip inspect name myfw telnet alert on audit-trail on
    ip inspect name myfw ftp timeout 15
    ip inspect name mwfw imap alert on
    ip inspect name mwfw dns alert on
    ip inspect name mwfw pop3 alert on

    1721a#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version
    12.4(17a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 07-Nov-07 10:52 by prod_rel_team

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    X-Eliminator, Mar 23, 2008

  2. X-Eliminator

    News Reader Guest

    Create an exception?

    You want to inspect the UDP traffic on the ingress interface so that the
    router will open dynamic temporary holes in the return path.

    e.g.: An internal host using DNS would require an appropriate entry
    (ACE) in the ACL applied to the internal interface to facilitate the
    query to the ISPs DNS server. An entry on the WAN interface for the
    return traffic (DNS Response) is not require (IF) DNS/UDPinspection is
    applied to the internal interface. The benefit of the inspection is that
    the router will open dynamic temporary holes in the return path to
    facilitate the return traffic from the DNS server. The inspection
    timeouts relate to when those holes will be closed in the absence of
    traffic to keep them open.

    Remember that inspection must be applied to an interface. For sure, you
    will want to apply inpection on the internal interface. If you have
    traffic that is initiated from the Internet side, into your network, you
    will want to apply inspection on that interface as well.

    Your log makes reference to: 216.115.30.200:69 => 192.168.0.75:2060

    Unless you are using some non-standard ports, I assume you are dealing
    with TFTP (port 69).

    It is important that you understand that although a command sent to a
    TFTP server (e.g.: write request) will use port 69 (server side), the
    majority of traffic (ACKs, data block transfer) resulting from TFTP
    operations involves packets with "both" the source and destination ports
    being >1023. This has ACL implications.

    Also, your inspection list is huge. You don't need to inspect
    applications you are not using.

    I am not familiar with the specific reference "Bidirectional traffic
    disabled" in the log.

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 23, 2008

  3. X-Eliminator

    X-Eliminator Guest

    Thanks.... I will tweak my config and see if I can see a change in the
    log.

    X-Eliminator, Mar 23, 2008
  4. X-Eliminator

    X-Eliminator Guest

    I removed the command "ip inspect name myfw tftp timeout 5" and I'm no
    longer seeing that Bidirectional message in the log output. I just
    need to be able to validate the success by being able to see log
    messages against my permit ACL's with "log" keyword for tftp.
    I also deleted all the firewal linspection rules for the stuff that I
    don't really need to inspect.

    Thanks for the tip !!

    ======================================

    X-Eliminator, Mar 23, 2008
  5. X-Eliminator

    News Reader Guest

    Glad it worked out.

    Syslog is very useful for diagnosing ACL issues. I frequently use "deny
    ip any any log" as the last ACE in interface ACLs. I then use a syslog
    server that is configured to filter messages with specific content
    (e.g.: list <acl-name> denied) into separate files. The mere presence of
    a file draws to my attention that traffic is being blocked on an
    interface, and depending on the interface, that may indicate that a
    configuration error exists.

    e.g.: No traffic is allowed into our LAN interface unless the ACL
    permits it. If I see a syslog file for that ACL, I know something is
    trying to get through that violates our security policy. This is also
    useful when you are trying to troubleshoot attempts to implement new
    functionality.

    The combination of syslog, and a network sniffer really helps in
    identifying configuration issues. Knowing what's happening on the wire
    eliminates most of the guessing.

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 23, 2008