    Ive just purchased a Cisco 851 router ... does this entitle me to
    download updated ios? do I need to obtain some sort of details from my
    supplier in order to access the software?

    jas0n, Jun 18, 2005

  2. jas0n

    Uli Link Guest

    jas0n schrieb:

    > Ive just purchased a Cisco 851 router ... does this entitle me to
    > download updated ios? do I need to obtain some sort of details from my
    > supplier in order to access the software?

    Depends on what kind of service you've bought.
    Some resellers bundle a Smartnet contract with the hardware.
    --> Ask your reseller.

    But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different
    IOS images at the moment.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Jun 18, 2005

  3. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    In article <42b43d37$0$1139$-online.net>,
    says...
    > jas0n schrieb:
    >
    > > Ive just purchased a Cisco 851 router ... does this entitle me to
    > > download updated ios? do I need to obtain some sort of details from my
    > > supplier in order to access the software?

    > Depends on what kind of service you've bought.
    > Some resellers bundle a Smartnet contract with the hardware.
    > --> Ask your reseller.
    >
    > But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different
    > IOS images at the moment.

    ok, so I may have to buy a contract from the look of it, I cant speak to
    my supplier until monday.

    so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not
    include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

    jas0n, Jun 18, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    jas0n <> wrote:
    :In article <42b43d37$0$1139$-online.net>,
    : says...

    :> But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different
    :> IOS images at the moment.

    :so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not
    :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

    The Product Description page for the 851 does say that it
    supports WFQ, PBR, per-VC queuing, and per-VC traffic shaping.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

    The Feature Navigator thinks WFQ is supported on the 871 but not the
    851. The Feature Navigator is, though, almost always out of date
    with respect to the details of new products.

    I don't have an 851 to do any testing with.

    It isn't really very many QoS features that are listed as being
    supported. Which one(s) did you try to invoke?
    --
    Would you buy a used bit from this man??

    Walter Roberson, Jun 19, 2005
  5. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    In article <d93ab7$2mg$>, -
    cnrc.gc.ca says...
    > In article <>,
    > jas0n <> wrote:
    > :In article <42b43d37$0$1139$-online.net>,
    > : says...
    >
    > :> But the 851 is brandnew and there is choice of one out of one different
    > :> IOS images at the moment.
    >
    > :so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not
    > :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?
    >
    > The Product Description page for the 851 does say that it
    > supports WFQ, PBR, per-VC queuing, and per-VC traffic shaping.
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html
    >
    > The Feature Navigator thinks WFQ is supported on the 871 but not the
    > 851. The Feature Navigator is, though, almost always out of date
    > with respect to the details of new products.
    >
    > I don't have an 851 to do any testing with.
    >

    > It isn't really very many QoS features that are listed as being
    > supported. Which one(s) did you try to invoke?

    Using the sdm gui ... when I click on the qos section it comes up and
    tells me the current image does not support qos.

    Im a complete newbie to cisco and havent even started looking at ios yet
    so I only have the sdm to go by.

    jas0n, Jun 19, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    jas0n <> wrote:
    :> :so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not
    :> :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?

    :Using the sdm gui ... when I click on the qos section it comes up and
    :tells me the current image does not support qos.

    The cross-comparision between the 870 and 850 indicates that the 850
    supports only WFQ as a QoS feature. The two "per-VC" features
    in the product literature only apply to ATM, which your 851 does
    not support (857 has it.) The only reference in the SDM 2.1.1 reference
    to WFQ has to do with CBWFQ (Class Based Weighted Fair Queue), which
    the 850 do not support. Thus, there is no QoS feature on the 851 that
    the SDM knowns how to configure.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 19, 2005
  7. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    In article <d94ft5$gmc$>, -
    cnrc.gc.ca says...
    > In article <>,
    > jas0n <> wrote:
    > :> :so why do they say it supports qos in its feature set and then not
    > :> :include qos in the ios image loaded onto the router?
    >
    > :Using the sdm gui ... when I click on the qos section it comes up and
    > :tells me the current image does not support qos.
    >
    > The cross-comparision between the 870 and 850 indicates that the 850
    > supports only WFQ as a QoS feature. The two "per-VC" features
    > in the product literature only apply to ATM, which your 851 does
    > not support (857 has it.) The only reference in the SDM 2.1.1 reference
    > to WFQ has to do with CBWFQ (Class Based Weighted Fair Queue), which
    > the 850 do not support. Thus, there is no QoS feature on the 851 that
    > the SDM knowns how to configure.

    ok ... thanks for that - the following was in the literature for 850
    series - are you saying the first two I could make use of (using ios)
    but the last two would apply only to the 857? :-

    Quality of Service (QoS)
    Features
    · Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
    · Policy-based routing (PBR)
    · Per-VC queuing
    · Per-VC traffic shaping

    jas0n, Jun 19, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    jas0n <> wrote:
    :eek:k ... thanks for that - the following was in the literature for 850=20
    :series - are you saying the first two I could make use of (using ios)=20
    :but the last two would apply only to the 857? :-

    :Quality of Service (QoS)
    :Features
    :Weighted Fair Queuing (WFQ)
    :policy-based routing (PBR)
    :per-VC queuing
    :per-VC traffic shaping

    Right, Per-VC requires an ATM card that your 851 does not support.
    PBR -probably- shows up in the SDM under something other than
    "QoS" -- "Routing" perhaps. WFQ is the default on interfaces
    at E1 speeds or below, but I don't recall that the 851 has any
    interface that slow, so you would have to look for a way to
    activate it under IOS.

    --
    Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

    Walter Roberson, Jun 20, 2005