    the fact it is fat32? If so, would there be any reason why I shouldn't
    change the file system to ntfs?
    Thanks for any replies.

    user, Jan 6, 2007

  2. user

    the paddle Guest

    user wrote:
    > I've just connected a new Iomega external 320g hdd to my laptop and was
    > surprised to find it has fat32 file sytem. When trying to send some large
    > files to it, I'm getting an error saying that there is not enough space for
    > the files, the files are only about 4gig each. Would this somehow be due to
    > the fact it is fat32? If so, would there be any reason why I shouldn't
    > change the file system to ntfs?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Hi, yes, I have a Iomega drive like that, and converted it to NTFS, but
    check out below for prrof! :)

    See:

    Question
    Can I format my Iomega Hard Drive to NTFS in Windows 2000/XP?

    Answer
    Some Iomega® Hard Drives and Peerless™ drives are preformatted
    using the FAT32 File System, which makes the drives compatible with
    multiple platforms and operating systems. When using the FAT32 format,
    the file size limit for a single file is 4GB. If you are
    writing/copying single files that exceed the 4GB limit, it may be
    necessary to format your drive using the NTFS format. Formatting with
    NTFS will also provide optimal performance for your Iomega Hard Drive
    under Windows 2000/XP.

    from http://tinyurl.com/yxqc67

    HTH

    paddle

    the paddle, Jan 6, 2007

  3. user

    philo Guest

    "user" <> wrote in message
    > I've just connected a new Iomega external 320g hdd to my laptop and was
    > surprised to find it has fat32 file sytem. When trying to send some large
    > files to it, I'm getting an error saying that there is not enough space

    for
    > the files, the files are only about 4gig each. Would this somehow be due

    > the fact it is fat32? If so, would there be any reason why I shouldn't
    > change the file system to ntfs?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    If you are using win2k or XP you should *definately* delete the drive
    and recreate as NTFS!

    philo, Jan 6, 2007
  4. user

    Senti Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "user" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just connected a new Iomega external 320g hdd to my laptop and was
    >> surprised to find it has fat32 file sytem. When trying to send some large
    >> files to it, I'm getting an error saying that there is not enough space

    > for
    >> the files, the files are only about 4gig each. Would this somehow be due

    >> the fact it is fat32? If so, would there be any reason why I shouldn't
    >> change the file system to ntfs?
    >> Thanks for any replies.
    >>

    > If you are using win2k or XP you should *definately* delete the drive
    > and recreate as NTFS!

    Unless you are also using the hard drive with something that does not
    support NTFS, such as Mac OS X, or most Linux distros. If you want/need
    to format as NTFS, then look into 3rd-party plugins for any other OS you
    may be using.

    Senti, Jan 7, 2007
  5. user

    Ingeborg Guest

    user wrote:

    > I've just connected a new Iomega external 320g hdd to my laptop and
    > was surprised to find it has fat32 file sytem. When trying to send
    > some large files to it, I'm getting an error saying that there is not
    > enough space for the files, the files are only about 4gig each. Would
    > this somehow be due to the fact it is fat32?

    Yes. The maximum filesize on a FAT32 partition is 4 GiB, and passing that
    barrier gives this errormessage.

    Ingeborg, Jan 7, 2007