    accordingly.

    For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..

    Many thanks in advance.
    Caught, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Caught

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >
    >'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    >accordingly.
    >
    >For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >
    >Many thanks in advance.

    IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    be changed once they're issued.

    If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.

    Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Caught

    Caught Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>
    >>'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be
    >>numbered
    >>accordingly.
    >>
    >>For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>
    >>Many thanks in advance.
    >>

    > IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    > be changed once they're issued.
    >
    > If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >
    > Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    Thanks for that Fredd.

    I can asure you that is not my intent. If you can help it would be greatly
    appreciated.
    Caught, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Caught

    EMB Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    > be changed once they're issued.
    >
    > If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >
    > Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    MYOB invoices can be easily changed too.
    EMB, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Caught

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:01:49 +1200, EMB <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >> be changed once they're issued.
    >>
    >> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>
    >> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    >MYOB invoices can be easily changed too.

    Not once they're invoiced (unless you talk to the DB directly, which
    they assume you don't do). If you create a Purchase Order it can be
    modified before it is changed to an invoice, but not after.

    If so, they'd be in breach of IRD regulations.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Caught

    Richard Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>
    >> 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    >> accordingly.
    >>
    >> For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance.
    >>

    > IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    > be changed once they're issued.
    >
    > If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >
    > Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    Thats why you archive the pdf/printed version of them instead.

    Any document can be recreated with different values on them.
    Richard, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Caught

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:31:11 +1200, "Caught" <>
    exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>>
    >>>'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be
    >>>numbered
    >>>accordingly.
    >>>
    >>>For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >> be changed once they're issued.
    >>
    >> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>
    >> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    >Thanks for that Fredd.
    >
    >I can asure you that is not my intent. If you can help it would be greatly
    >appreciated.

    You could probably either get a macro to do it, or hook it into an
    external data source.

    The problem is you need to save a state each time.

    This isn't really what Excel is designed for.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 20, 2007
  8. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>
    >> 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    >> accordingly.
    >>
    >> For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance.
    >>

    > IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    > be changed once they're issued.
    >
    > If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >
    > Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    Never mind Fred, He's making things up again.

    http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/records/tax-invoices/

    Sorry I can't answer your excel question but at a guess you will want one table
    which is a list of the invoices. Perhaps a formula on this table could generate
    a new document number which is extracted to each individual invoice file.

    In any case, keep a paper copy of both the index and each invoice.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Caught

    EMB Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:01:49 +1200, EMB <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >>> be changed once they're issued.
    >>>
    >>> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>>
    >>> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    >> MYOB invoices can be easily changed too.

    > Not once they're invoiced (unless you talk to the DB directly, which
    > they assume you don't do). If you create a Purchase Order it can be
    > modified before it is changed to an invoice, but not after.

    Well... I've just created an invoice, printed it, changed the date and
    the value of a line item and then printed it again in MYOB.
    EMB, Aug 20, 2007
  10. Caught

    Martin Guest

    Martin, Aug 20, 2007
  11. Caught

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:13:57 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>> MYOB invoices can be easily changed too.

    >> Not once they're invoiced (unless you talk to the DB directly, which
    >> they assume you don't do). If you create a Purchase Order it can be
    >> modified before it is changed to an invoice, but not after.

    >Well... I've just created an invoice, printed it, changed the date and
    >the value of a line item and then printed it again in MYOB.

    IIRC invoice number is not mandatory on a GST invoice. Date is
    required.
    Sue Bilstein, Aug 20, 2007
  12. Caught

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:52:09 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>>
    >>> 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    >>> accordingly.
    >>>
    >>> For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >> be changed once they're issued.
    >>
    >> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>
    >> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    >Never mind Fred, He's making things up again.
    >
    >http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/records/tax-invoices/

    Hey, fuckhead, I'm not making anything up, and the link doesn't
    dispute anything I've said. Go ask an accountant or IRD if you don't
    believe me.

    What a wanktard. The world would be a better place if losers like you
    were hit by a bus.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 20, 2007
  13. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:52:09 +1200, Mark Robinson
    > <2tod.net> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >>> be changed once they're issued.
    >>>
    >>> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>>
    >>> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    >> Never mind Fred, He's making things up again.
    >>
    >> http://www.ird.govt.nz/gst/records/tax-invoices/

    > Hey, fuckhead, I'm not making anything up, and the link doesn't
    > dispute anything I've said. Go ask an accountant or IRD if you don't
    > believe me.
    >
    > What a wanktard. The world would be a better place if losers like you
    > were hit by a bus.

    Classic.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Caught

    Caught Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message

    > "Caught" <> wrote in message
    >> Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>
    >> 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be
    >> numbered accordingly.
    >>
    >> For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance.

    > this looks like what you are after (haven't used it myself) (-;
    >
    > http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/MS_Office_Add-ins/Excel_Invoice_Manager.html

    Thanks a million Martin .... this looks likely
    Caught, Aug 20, 2007
  15. Caught

    brazen Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:13:57 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >>Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:01:49 +1200, EMB <> exclaimed:

    >>> Not once they're invoiced (unless you talk to the DB directly, which
    >>> they assume you don't do). If you create a Purchase Order it can be
    >>> modified before it is changed to an invoice, but not after.

    >>Well... I've just created an invoice, printed it, changed the date and
    >>the value of a line item and then printed it again in MYOB.

    > IIRC invoice number is not mandatory on a GST invoice. Date is
    > required.

    Mmm bizarre that - the only time I have received an invoice without a number
    was from a chartered accountant.

    And yes you can change myob invoices afterwards - we dont use PO's and IIRC
    the ability to change things is one of the Preferences

    Gay
    brazen, Aug 20, 2007
  16. Caught

    Allistar Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >>>
    >>> 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be
    >>> numbered accordingly.
    >>>
    >>> For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    >> be changed once they're issued.
    >>
    >> If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >>
    >> Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    > Thats why you archive the pdf/printed version of them instead.

    PDFs can be edited too.

    > Any document can be recreated with different values on them.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 21, 2007
  17. In message <>, Allistar wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Thats why you archive the pdf/printed version of them instead.

    > PDFs can be edited too.

    Anything digital can be edited. The only way to guard against tampering is
    digital signatures. And that doesn't guard against changes made by the one
    who signed the document in the first place.

    Unless there's some assumption about certain closed-source software not
    providing certain functions to change certain things?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 21, 2007
  18. Caught

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 20, 5:51 pm, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:48:39 +1200, "Caught" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you

    > >'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    > >accordingly.

    > >For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..

    > >Many thanks in advance.

    > IRD don't like you using Excel/Word for invoices, as it means they can
    > be changed once they're issued.

    Presumably that is a non issue if you print and issue a paper invoice
    from Excel?

    > If they audit you, they'll tell you to change.
    >
    > Better to spend a couple of hundred on MYOB or something.

    Can't that just change an invoice as well? I work on ERP software used
    by many billion dollar companies around the world. There's nothing to
    stop me (with sufficient access priviledge) from changing and re-
    issuing an invoice.
    JohnO, Aug 22, 2007
  19. Caught

    JohnO Guest

    On Aug 20, 3:48 pm, "Caught" <> wrote:
    > Once a Template for the invoice is established how do you
    >
    > 'program' Excel that every time a new invoice is prodced it will be numbered
    > accordingly.
    >
    > For example 1000 then 1001 then 1002 etc..
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    It is do-able, but the only method I can think of requires VBA
    programming. Are you technically and emotionally prepared to go down
    that route?
    JohnO, Aug 22, 2007