Invitation to Pitch for Web Design

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
    stations in the Bay of Islands.

    The stations at present are Primetime Radio 1ZZ, 88.1 in Ohaeawai &
    Waimate North, and 107.7 in Kerikeri. A primitive logo is available, but
    I am open to suggestions and designs for something better.

    Programming policy is "the music of your life" - essentially eclectic
    rock & pop from 1950 to today, with blues and jazz in the night, classic
    serials & comedy (Dragnet, Goon Show, Superman, Dad & Dave etc) at 6 and
    selections from our 15 000 music tracks dating back to 1889, and the
    world's podcasts at weekends.

    We are unlikely to play rap & hip-hop outside the FU Show, which airs at
    0100 on Tuesdays and includes all the tracks we received in the week
    that we don't like and consider to be a Frightful Uproar, but think
    should be played at least once in fairness to the people that sent them in.

    Target audience is people over 40.

    I want pages that load fast, are easy to understand and navigate, and
    that encourage the user to look at the content and listen to our programmes.

    Home page should offer choices of:

    Programme schedule (in a perfect world something we could upload as a
    spreadsheet or PDF.
    Who are we (the company, the story, the begging for money)
    Contact (e-mail us, txt us, phone, fax, carrier pigeon, stone in a
    Muscovite park with an MI5 WiFi in it)
    Disclaimer (copyrights, links to APRA & RIANZ, privacy policy,
    publisher, disclaimer is not datclaimer etc)
    Primetime people (links to presenter biogs)
    Train with us (links to pages about our journalist training programme)
    Links (other LPFMs, the NZ LPFM society, indie music sources, rude games
    about Lee Tamahori etc)
    (all these linking to sub-pages)

    On the home page itself, as well as the above links:

    Latest news (as an mp3 download)
    What's playing (this is a window provided by the playout software)
    What's happening (news about station promotions, contests, development,
    possibly linking to sub-pages
    Featured albums/artists (we'll want to be able to update this each week)

    Archive material for download
    Streaming (not yet available but I want to be able to offer it when I can).

    I get paid for what I do well, I'm ready to pay you for what web
    designers do well. You keep your copyrights, you assign to my stations
    the right to use and re-use your design. You get short name credit on
    the home page ("Web design by Plugh & Xyzzy Ltd") linking to full credit
    with your contact details on a sub-page.

    Requirements.

    Not browser specific - must work equally well on on all platforms.
    Specifically IE, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, whatever it is that Macs have.
    No Flash.
    No Active-X
    Th home page shouldn't have to be scrolled to see all its content when
    it#s displayed on a normal screen and normal resolution.

    Disabled-friendly - people with bad vision should still be able to use
    the pages with a standard reader

    Know that my ideal of a clean effective Web page is Google. If I can
    count the seconds it takes to load it's too slow.

    I need to be able to update content without calling the designer.

    All non-violent proposals gratefully received. I will make a contract
    with the one I like best, assuming anyone responds. If no-one responds,
    or if I don't like any of the responses, I'll cast the net wider:
    Chatham Islands, Marquesas, Ireland, Germany, UK, US...

    This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but
    perhaps some fun.

    Replies please to

    I'm listening.

    Philip
    Philip, Feb 10, 2006

  2. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:59:40 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but
    > perhaps some fun.

    Dude you *should* be web casting. A programme like what you've got should
    be available nation-wide!

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him
    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Philip

    Rob Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > No Flash.
    > No Active-X
    > Th home page shouldn't have to be scrolled to see all its content when
    > it#s displayed on a normal screen and normal resolution.
    >
    > Disabled-friendly - people with bad vision should still be able to use the
    > pages with a standard reader
    >
    > Know that my ideal of a clean effective Web page is Google. If I can count
    > the seconds it takes to load it's too slow.
    >
    > I need to be able to update content without calling the designer.
    >
    > All non-violent proposals gratefully received. I will make a contract with
    > the one I like best, assuming anyone responds. If no-one responds, or if I
    > don't like any of the responses, I'll cast the net wider: Chatham Islands,
    > Marquesas, Ireland, Germany, UK, US...
    >
    > This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but

    Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had bad
    experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do nice simple
    designs, although some of their newer ones are flash which take a while to
    download.
    Rob, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Philip

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >> I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
    >> stations in the Bay of Islands.

    > Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had
    > bad experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do
    > nice simple designs, although some of their newer ones are flash
    > which take a while to download.

    I would second that, shift is bloody good compared to most web shops in NZ.
    Nik Coughlin, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Philip

    Rob Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    >> "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
    >>> stations in the Bay of Islands.

    >> Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had
    >> bad experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do
    >> nice simple designs, although some of their newer ones are flash
    >> which take a while to download.

    > I would second that, shift is bloody good compared to most web shops in
    > NZ.

    Obviously you would be paying a lot, but I guess you do get what you pay
    for. They do a lot of government and corporate work, so whether they would
    take on a smaller job, I don't know.
    Rob, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Philip

    EMB Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
    > stations in the Bay of Islands.

    Try asking the chap that runs http://www.redtoad.biz (contact details on
    the site) - he might well do a contra for a bit of very low key advertising.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 16, 2006