    something wrongly?

    Kind regards,
    Nikitta

    MEow, Dec 21, 2004

  2. MEow

    Tom Betz Guest

    Quoth MEow <> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
    @individual.net:

    > Have I set up something wrongly?

    I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
    good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
    time.

    Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
    5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
    very stable.

    You'll be much happier.

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Dec 21, 2004

  3. MEow

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tom Betz wrote:

    > Quoth MEow <> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
    > @individual.net:
    >

    >>Have I set up something wrongly?

    > I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
    > good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
    > time.
    >
    > Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
    > 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
    > very stable.
    >
    > You'll be much happier.

    Thunderbird (or Mozilla suite) is a very useful news reader. It depends
    on what you want of course.

    To 'fix' your specific problem, delete the .msf files for the newsgroups
    in question (the ones that show the incorrect counts). Just the .msf files.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Dec 22, 2004
  4. (On 12/21/2004 5:07 PM) Tom Betz wrote:
    > Quoth MEow <> in news:32rad2F3p3ilpU1
    > @individual.net:
    >

    >>Have I set up something wrongly?

    > I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
    > good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
    > time.
    >
    > Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
    > 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
    > very stable.
    >
    > You'll be much happier.

    I don't see anything wrong with using Thunderbird as a news client. But
    that's just my opinion. It's clean and simple for reading all the
    Usenet messages I want to see (all text). Obviously you have a problem
    with using it, and choose something else. To each their own ;-)

    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 22, 2004
  5. MEow

    MEow Guest

    Tom Betz wrote:

    > I recommend against using Thunderbird as a Usenet client. It's a
    > good e-mail client, but the Usenet side is not yet ready for prime
    > time.
    >
    > Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
    > 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
    > very stable.
    >
    > You'll be much happier.

    Either Xnews is a very complicated newsreader, I'm very stupid, or both ;0)
    Well - I'll try if I can figure it out, as I don't think that
    Thunderbird is for me for different reasons.

    Kind regards,
    Nikitta, who wishes you a happy solstice.

    MEow, Dec 22, 2004
  6. MEow

    Z Guest

    MEow wrote:
    > I've recently installed Thunderbird to give it a try, seeing as Agent
    > decided to act up on me after switching computers, I can't really find a
    > way to solve it, I missed usenet, and I've been curious about
    > Thunderbird anyway. Well, it will take some getting used to compared to
    > Agent, but there's one thing which really irks me:
    >
    > Sometimes Thunderbird claims that there's unread messages, but unfolding
    > the thread reveals only read messages, and yet it still insists that
    > there's unread messages in the thread when I collapse it again. That can
    > be fixed by pressing "r", but why does it do this? Have I set up
    > something wrongly?

    I get that too, sometimes.

    It's odd ... and nothing seems to fix it.

    I've tried deleting the .msf, Unsubscribing and re-Subscribing, and even
    removing the News account, deleting the old News account directory under
    Profiles and reAdding the News account ... nothing fixes it permanently.

    It comes and goes, seemingly at random.

    At first I was worried I was missing posts but checking with Google
    Groups convinced me I wasn't, so I've just learned to ignore it.

    Z, Dec 22, 2004
  7. MEow

    MEow Guest

    Tom Betz <> wrote in

    > Get yourself a copy of Xnews at xnews.newsguy.com. After installing
    > 5.04.25. go ahead and download the TEST version 6.12.01, as it is
    > very stable.
    >
    > You'll be much happier.

    Well, it seems I'm figuring it out bit by bit, and it isn't so hard. Now I
    can also see a picture next to your name.

    Well - I won't bother this group with too much off topic stuff (I imagine
    this to be off topic), but thanks for the tip! I already like its short-
    cuts, as I much prefer that to using the mouse.

    Kind regards,
    Nikitta, the human cat-sofa

    MEow, Dec 22, 2004
  8. MEow

    Danny Colyer Guest

    MEow wrote:
    > Sometimes Thunderbird claims that there's unread messages, but unfolding
    > the thread reveals only read messages, and yet it still insists that
    > there's unread messages in the thread when I collapse it again. That can
    > be fixed by pressing "r", but why does it do this? Have I set up
    > something wrongly?

    Do you often mark threads as ignored? I find that occasionally TB will
    include messages from ignored threads in its count of unread messages
    for a ng. If I choose to view unthreaded, all messages, then those
    messages will appear in the list.

    The simplest solution is to mark everything as unread (ctrl-shift-c).

    I used to have the same problem in OE.

    Danny Colyer, Dec 23, 2004