    overhead for music and CD's that I'm not interested in.

    How do I turn off this automatic feature that seeks the net yet leave it
    intake enough to be pulled up when demanded buy another program?
    jaygreg, Aug 16, 2006

  2. jaygreg

    Todd H. Guest

    "jaygreg" <> writes:

    > I was forced to download this player in order to view a clip on the news.
    > It's a very invasive program and I didn't make it my default media player; I
    > use Windows Media Player.
    >
    > My firewall (Kerio) on my WIN98SE machine notifies me occasionally that
    > RealPlayer is attempting to access the net... and I'm not initiating the
    > action. I assume it just wants to check for updates which include allt hat
    > overhead for music and CD's that I'm not interested in.
    >
    > How do I turn off this automatic feature that seeks the net yet leave it
    > intake enough to be pulled up when demanded buy another program?

    Not sure anymore...dunno if you can entirely.

    Another option is to use RealAlternative which seems to do an awful
    lot of good things w/o Real being involved:

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23205-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Aug 17, 2006

  3. jaygreg

    nemo_outis Guest

    "jaygreg" <> wrote in

    > I was forced to download this player in order to view a clip on the
    > news. It's a very invasive program and I didn't make it my default
    > media player; I use Windows Media Player.
    >
    > My firewall (Kerio) on my WIN98SE machine notifies me occasionally
    > that RealPlayer is attempting to access the net... and I'm not
    > initiating the action. I assume it just wants to check for updates
    > which include allt hat overhead for music and CD's that I'm not
    > interested in.
    >
    > How do I turn off this automatic feature that seeks the net yet leave
    > it intake enough to be pulled up when demanded buy another program?

    The answer? Real Alternative

    One source (of many):

    http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm

    Or consider converting the source files:

    http://www.boilsoft.com/rmtomp3/

    or

    http://www.witcobber.com/

    Cracks for the above converters are available - but why not give the poor
    bastards the money?

    Regards.
    nemo_outis, Aug 17, 2006
  4. jaygreg wrote:

    > My firewall (Kerio)

    So your computer is already messed up. Hey, you're posting with MSOE anyway.

    > notifies me occasionally that RealPlayer is attempting to access the
    > net... and I'm not initiating the action.

    Must be a configuration issue. I can tell that with a careful
    configuration it doesn't make any connection attempt, as documented.

    > I assume it just wants to check for updates

    What does "I assume" mean? You should know! You have configured that
    program!

    > How do I turn off this automatic feature

    In the configuration options? Where else?
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 17, 2006
  5. jaygreg

    Jim Watt Guest

    Jim Watt, Aug 17, 2006
  6. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    To those who sggested the alternative to RealPlayer... thanks. I'll look
    into it.

    To Gottschaulk... you certainly don't expect anyone to communicate with you,
    do ya'?

    jaygreg, Aug 17, 2006
  7. jaygreg wrote:

    > To Gottschaulk... you certainly don't expect anyone to communicate with you,
    > do ya'?

    Yeah, now it's my fault that you're complaining about your very
    self-caused problems.
    So once again: If you configured RealPlayer correctly (read: enumerating
    all options and settings the relevant ones), then no such connection
    attempt would occur. Why didn't you configure it, or where did you have
    a problem with the configuration?

    And due to that Kerio thing, a software supposed to mess up your
    computer, it's not even sure if the problem exists at all. I don't think
    that you installed it for achieving security, as you're misusing Outlook
    Express as a newsreader.

    Real Alternative could make the problem actually worse, as it comes with
    not-so-good default settings and doesn't offer any useful GUI for
    configuration. At least it doesn't have any permanent tray program.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 17, 2006
  8. jaygreg

    Anonyma Guest

    jaygreg wrote:

    > To Gottschaulk... you certainly don't expect anyone to communicate with you,
    > do ya'?

    He's a twit. A starving attention whore. Ask him how many moderated
    forums he's been booted out of some time. He won't answer because
    there's so many even he probably lost count, but the deafening silence
    will confirm the truth of his pathetic online existence in any case.

    Best to ignore/killfile the twit. Even replying with a bitchslap feeds
    his psychosis, and annoys those of us who have to read his tripe in
    other poster's replies. ;-)
    Anonyma, Aug 17, 2006
  9. jaygreg

    OSbandito Guest

    just config. Kerio

    config your firewall to block any app in/out types of traffic you don't
    want. Of course, always try to use the app's preferences first (as you
    know) to avoid tying up processor cycles.
    OSbandito, Sep 21, 2006
  10. jaygreg

    traveler 66 Guest

    Re: just config. Kerio

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:35:04 +0000, OSbandito wrote:

    > config your firewall to block any app in/out types of traffic you don't
    > want. Of course, always try to use the app's preferences first (as you
    > know) to avoid tying up processor cycles.

    I found setting up Kerio worked well at www.grc.com, try the shields up
    feature and create rules that block access to the probes.
    traveler 66, Sep 23, 2006
  11. jaygreg

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Re: just config. Kerio

    traveler 66 wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:35:04 +0000, OSbandito wrote:
    >
    > > config your firewall to block any app in/out types of traffic you don't
    > > want. Of course, always try to use the app's preferences first (as you
    > > know) to avoid tying up processor cycles.

    > I found setting up Kerio worked well at www.grc.com, try the shields up
    > feature and create rules that block access to the probes.

    More bad advice from the privacy.LIE Adem sockpuppet. Ass backwards in
    fact. You should shut everything off, then make rules only for the
    things you absolutely need. Your reversed nonsense is an insecure
    clusterfuck.

    You need to stop trying to give people advice. You're a moron.
    Nomen Nescio, Sep 23, 2006
  12. jaygreg

    traveler 66 Guest

    Re: just config. Kerio

    On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:30:02 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > traveler 66 wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:35:04 +0000, OSbandito wrote:
    >>
    >>> config your firewall to block any app in/out types of traffic you don't
    >>> want. Of course, always try to use the app's preferences first (as you
    >>> know) to avoid tying up processor cycles.

    >> I found setting up Kerio worked well at www.grc.com, try the shields up
    >> feature and create rules that block access to the probes.

    > More bad advice from the privacy.LIE Adem sockpuppet. Ass backwards in
    > fact. You should shut everything off, then make rules only for the
    > things you absolutely need. Your reversed nonsense is an insecure
    > clusterfuck.
    >
    > You need to stop trying to give people advice. You're a moron.

    Flush/Troll
    traveler 66, Sep 23, 2006
  13. jaygreg

    Anonyma Guest

    Re: just config. Kerio

    traveler 66 wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 18:30:02 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio wrote:
    >
    > > traveler 66 wrote:

    > >> I found setting up Kerio worked well at www.grc.com, try the shields up
    > >> feature and create rules that block access to the probes.

    > > More bad advice from the privacy.LIE Adem sockpuppet. Ass backwards in
    > > fact. You should shut everything off, then make rules only for the
    > > things you absolutely need. Your reversed nonsense is an insecure
    > > clusterfuck.
    > >
    > > You need to stop trying to give people advice. You're a moron.

    > Flush/Troll

    You "flushed" another post you quoted in its entirety, which makes you
    look like an idiot, and didn't even bother to try and dispute the facts
    that were pointed out regarding your FUBAR advice.

    That's three strikes in one subthread, within two posts. Impressive
    even for you. :)
    Anonyma, Sep 24, 2006
  14. jaygreg

    traveler 66 Guest

    Re: just config. Kerio

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:40:26 -0400 (EDT), Anonyma wrote:

    > traveler 66 wrote:

    >>> More bad advice from the privacy.LIE Adem sockpuppet. Ass backwards in
    >>> fact. You should shut everything off, then make rules only for the
    >>> things you absolutely need. Your reversed nonsense is an insecure
    >>> clusterfuck.
    >>>
    >>> You need to stop trying to give people advice. You're a moron.

    >> Flush/Troll

    > You "flushed" another post you quoted in its entirety, which makes you
    > look like an idiot, and didn't even bother to try and dispute the facts
    > that were pointed out regarding your FUBAR advice.
    >
    > That's three strikes in one subthread, within two posts. Impressive
    > even for you. :)

    Comming from a troll and puppet like you that doesn't mean much.
    traveler 66, Sep 24, 2006