    An html message has invaded my desktop warning me that I am in danger of
    files permanently on my hdd, I cant seem to remove the page, Could someone
    suggest how please.
    Brucey2, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Brucey2

    Pepperoni Guest

    Are you trying to say that your browser start page has been hijacked? A new
    set of multiple trojan/keylogger/hijack problems developed this week. Run
    your anti virus. They haven't got the full details on this critter yet,
    but it happened at the server level and infected multiple popular web sites.
    (they won't even say which ones yet) It causes your machine to download a
    whole range of nasties from a russian site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/download_ject.mspx
    http://isc.sans.org/

    I think I caught it Thursday, and couldn't find any help. (It was too new an
    exploit) I formatted and reinstalled for safety, but there is help out
    there now. There are so many different packages that it may take a few days
    more to run them all down.

    The Microsoft link above has identified two key files associated with this
    critter: Kk32.dll and Surf.dat Search your machine for these files
    (details on the Microsoft site.)

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    No it is my screen back ground, When I right click the properties come up as
    web\desktop\html I hope it is a simple thing to delete but I dont know how.
    Thanks for your reply tho.

    Brucey2, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Brucey2

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > No it is my screen back ground, When I right click the properties come up

    as
    > web\desktop\html I hope it is a simple thing to delete but I dont know

    how.
    > Thanks for your reply tho.

    Perhaps it is set as wallpaper. Right click your desktop, left click
    properties. on the background tab, select "NONE", left click "apply", then
    "OK".

    let me know if that works.

    Pepperoni
    Pepperoni, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    Hi Pepperoni, When I right click I get General none and Protocol File
    Protocol.

    Brucey2, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Brucey2

    Pepperoni Guest

    What OS are you using? (98, 200, XP) The instructions were to right click
    the desktop ( a bare space) not a file.

    Try start/settings/active desktop/customize my desktop/ background tab

    Depending on your OS, you may need to go to my computer/control
    panel/display/... to find the background tab

    when all else fails, use the "help" resource on your start menu,..... on the
    index tab, type "background" AND DOUBLE CLICK THE LINE THAT SAYS "BACKGROUND
    OF DESKTOP" (excuse the caps)

    it will lead you through changing the desktop. (too "none")
    ---
    To change the background of the desktop

    to open the Display Properties dialog box.
    In Wallpaper, click the background you want to use or click Pattern to
    choose or modify the background .
    Click Apply to see the changes before you close the dialog box, or click OK
    to accept the changes and close the dialog box.
    Notes
    You can also open the Display Properties dialog box by clicking Start,
    pointing to Settings, clicking Control Panel, and then double-clicking
    Display.
    You can use most graphic files, such as bitmaps (.bmp), GIFs (.gif), and
    JPEG (.jpeg) images, as .
    To cover your entire screen with a small wallpaper image, click Tile. To
    center a wallpaper image, click Center.
    You can use patterns and wallpaper simultaneously. However, if Tile is
    selected, you cannot see the pattern.
    By default, only a limited set of wallpapers is installed during Windows
    Setup. For information about installing other wallpaper, click Related
    Topics, and then click To add or remove a Windows component.

    I sometimes accidentally hit the wrong tab when saving pictures. You
    probably hit "set as background" when saving a picture, or by accident.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Jun 27, 2004
  7. Brucey2

    Pepperoni Guest

    If all else fails, why not just set a new background. Feel free to use my
    favorite gal:
    http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/
    Just right click a picture to bring up a menu and left click "Set as
    Background".

    At least she's easier to look at.

    haha

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    Thanks a lot, I`m new but learning.

    Brucey2, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Brucey2

    Unknown Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > An html message has invaded my desktop warning me that I am in danger of
    > files permanently on my hdd, I cant seem to remove the page, Could someone
    > suggest how please.

    Are you having this appear as a grey background quarter panel window or like
    an Internet Explorer window?

    In either case there are these things you can do:

    1) Download the free Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com and install it if you
    don't have XP. If you have XP turn your XP firewall on.

    2) Get Spybot from http://security.kolla.de and also Adaware from
    www.lavasoft.de and install and run both.

    3) Go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and download Stinger and run it.
    That prog knows and fixes 41 of the later nasties and variants in one pass.
    If you have even one, make sure your AV prog is up to date and also running
    right now. If not, reinstall it after running Stinger and rebooting.
    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    "Unknown" <> wrote in message

    > "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > > An html message has invaded my desktop warning me that I am in danger of
    > > files permanently on my hdd, I cant seem to remove the page, Could

    someone
    > > suggest how please.
    > >

    > Are you having this appear as a grey background quarter panel window or

    like
    > an Internet Explorer window?
    >
    > In either case there are these things you can do:
    >
    > 1) Download the free Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com and install it if

    you
    > don't have XP. If you have XP turn your XP firewall on.
    >
    > 2) Get Spybot from http://security.kolla.de and also Adaware from
    > www.lavasoft.de and install and run both.
    >
    > 3) Go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and download Stinger and run it.
    > That prog knows and fixes 41 of the later nasties and variants in one

    pass.
    > If you have even one, make sure your AV prog is up to date and also

    running
    > right now. If not, reinstall it after running Stinger and rebooting.
    >
    >have done all Pepperoni has advised but although it changed the background

    you cant right click anywhere on the page without seeing the page which
    identifies it as an url with its base as a windows\web\desktop.html, It
    wants to direct me to a web site .
    Brucey2, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Brucey2

    Unknown Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message

    > "Unknown" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > > > An html message has invaded my desktop warning me that I am in danger

    of
    > > > files permanently on my hdd, I cant seem to remove the page, Could

    > someone
    > > > suggest how please.
    > > >

    > > Are you having this appear as a grey background quarter panel window or

    > like
    > > an Internet Explorer window?
    > >
    > > In either case there are these things you can do:
    > >
    > > 1) Download the free Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com and install it if

    > you
    > > don't have XP. If you have XP turn your XP firewall on.
    > >
    > > 2) Get Spybot from http://security.kolla.de and also Adaware from
    > > www.lavasoft.de and install and run both.
    > >
    > > 3) Go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and download Stinger and run

    it.
    > > That prog knows and fixes 41 of the later nasties and variants in one

    > pass.
    > > If you have even one, make sure your AV prog is up to date and also

    > running
    > > right now. If not, reinstall it after running Stinger and rebooting.
    > >
    > >have done all Pepperoni has advised but although it changed the

    background
    > you cant right click anywhere on the page without seeing the page which
    > identifies it as an url with its base as a windows\web\desktop.html, It
    > wants to direct me to a web site .

    Sounds like you have it set up as a web page for your background screen. You
    can set an URL for the desktop picture and if your URL location is wrong or
    doesn't exist etc, you can end up with that. Set your desktop to just a
    normal picture from the normal range for now.
    Unknown, Jun 27, 2004