    CD that she gave me (I'm not sure if it's an original or not)...

    What can I do to find the valid product key?

    Howie

    Howie, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > I am installing Windows XP on my cousin's PC that needed a hard drive size
    > increase. I used Belarc Advisor and Magic Jelly Bean to confirm the product
    > key of the original Windows XP install on the small hard drive.
    >
    > When I use the product key from Belarc Advisor and Magic Jellybean, it says
    > that the product key is invalid.... why? I am using the Windows XP install
    > CD that she gave me (I'm not sure if it's an original or not)...

    The cd she gave you may be a different cd than the one that was
    originally used ie different types of xp cds use different sets of keys.

    Plato, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Howie

    HF Guest

    Why not use the mfrs software to copy the old drive contents to the new.Most
    if not all drive mfrs have this software available on their websites.

    HF, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Howie

    Howie Guest

    Howie, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I also want to get rid of a pile of malware that is present on the old
    drive...

    Howie, Feb 23, 2005
  6. Howie

    bmoag Guest

    If you call the Microsoft number and run their gauntlet an English
    proficient speaker at the Microsoft call center in India will finally give
    you a new, valid activation key.
    If you are a hobbyist that frequently upgrades key components, particularly
    motherboards, you become very familiar with this form of Microsoft torture
    intended to intimidate you into buying a useless new copy of Windows. This
    new copy will be obsolete in the box and require more than 200mbs of
    downloads and several restarts of your computer, presuming all goes well and
    your computer does not go brain dead because of one of the errant updates.

    bmoag, Feb 24, 2005