    what may have happened. All other files, folders and applications open fine
    in PD6. It is just the text files gone belly up.

    --

    Mo F, Mar 10, 2008

  2. Mo F

    meerkat Guest

    "Mo F" <> wrote in message
    news:gWcBj.20036$...
    > All of a sudden all my text files (.text) come up with the message
    > "Invalid Menu Handle".
    >
    > Windows XP Pro.....and I have PowerDesk 6 installed which I have set
    > to open with two panes. Clicking on any text file via PD6 gives me the
    > above error message but if I open the text files in any other
    > application,Wordpad, Notepad, Word, etc. I can read them. So, as PD6
    > seemed to be the culprit I uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed.
    > Still doesn't work. Any suggestions what may have happened. All other
    > files, folders and applications open fine in PD6. It is just the text
    > files gone belly up.

    Rt/click on a text file, and go to Properties.
    What is set to Open text files ?.

    meerkat, Mar 10, 2008

  3. Mo F

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Mo F" wrote in message
    > All of a sudden all my text files (.text) come up with the message
    > "Invalid Menu Handle".
    >
    > Windows XP Pro.....and I have PowerDesk 6 installed which I have set
    > to open with two panes. Clicking on any text file via PD6 gives me
    > the above error message but if I open the text files in any other
    > application,Wordpad, Notepad, Word, etc. I can read them. So, as
    > PD6 seemed to be the culprit I uninstalled, rebooted and
    > re-installed. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions what may have
    > happened. All other files, folders and applications open fine in
    > PD6. It is just the text files gone belly up.

    Text files are just, well, text. There is no program within them
    (although they can represent code that something else can run). You
    telephone book doesn't make calls for you either.

    The problem looks to be with Powerdesk. Maybe a recent Windows update
    caused a problem with Powerdesk. Seems like asking VCom about their
    product would be the best route to get help on their product.

    VanguardLH, Mar 10, 2008
  4. Mo F wrote:

    > All of a sudden

    Every time I see that phrase, I am tempted to ask, "What did you do to
    the computer immediately before 'all of a sudden'?"

    > all my text files (.text) come up with the message "Invalid
    > Menu Handle".

    All my text files have the extension: .txt
    Do yours? Or are they really .text ?

    > Windows XP Pro.....and I have PowerDesk 6 installed

    Do you experience the same problem when using Windows Explorer?

    If not, call the PowerDesk people.

    --
    -bts
    -all of a sudden my sig line got busted

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Mo F

    Mo F Guest

    Yep. The first response was the one that kicked my arse. Why didn't I think
    of that? There was NOTHING set to open my text files. Don't ask me why. I
    did nothing that I can recall prior to this happening.....other than kick
    the computer into submission, but then I have been doing that for years to
    cure adverse effects!! First engineering principles.

    I have now set .txt files (not .text, apologies) to open with Notepad and
    all is back to normal. Like I said, nothing else had been affected. Aren't
    computers fun!!??

    Mo F, Mar 10, 2008
  6. Mo F

    John Holmes Guest

    Mo F "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have now set .txt files (not .text, apologies) to open with Notepad

    You should have done that in the first place, without bothering the entire
    world with your retarded questions.

    --
    Your mother was a bedraggled petrol-pump attendant who liked to do it with
    strangers in a closely guarded military establishment.

    John Holmes, Mar 10, 2008
  7. Mo F

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Mo F added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > Yep. The first response was the one that kicked my arse. Why
    > didn't I think of that? There was NOTHING set to open my text
    > files. Don't ask me why. I did nothing that I can recall prior
    > to this happening.....other than kick the computer into
    > submission, but then I have been doing that for years to cure
    > adverse effects!! First engineering principles.
    >
    > I have now set .txt files (not .text, apologies) to open with
    > Notepad and all is back to normal. Like I said, nothing else
    > had been affected. Aren't computers fun!!??

    Depends on your idea of "fun", Mo! <grin> Seriously, I have
    always found that computers of all types do exactly what you tell
    them to - if they can - NOT necessarily what you want. In this
    case, your PC unfortunately was doing what you told it, i.e.,
    don't associate anything to .txt files. In all likelihood,
    though, this was properly associated way back when at install and
    something over time deleted it.

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    > in message
    > ..
    >> Mo F wrote:
    >>
    >>> All of a sudden

    >> Every time I see that phrase, I am tempted to ask, "What did
    >> you do to the computer immediately before 'all of a sudden'?"
    >>
    >>> all my text files (.text) come up with the message "Invalid
    >>> Menu Handle".

    >> All my text files have the extension: .txt
    >> Do yours? Or are they really .text ?
    >>
    >>> Windows XP Pro.....and I have PowerDesk 6 installed

    >> Do you experience the same problem when using Windows
    >> Explorer?
    >>
    >> If not, call the PowerDesk people.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -all of a sudden my sig line got busted

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
    "Airplane!"

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 10, 2008