    I installed xp with my compaq xp pro disk but theres a Compaq recovery disk
    should i use the recovery disk first in the installation? to activate
    properly?
    Legs11, Dec 3, 2007

  2. Legs11

    S.SubZero Guest

    (This is a group specifically for 64-bit Windows)

    The way XP works, the disc will only allow keys specific to the type
    of install disc it is. It could be a retail disc, like one you buy in
    a store, or an OEM disc, like one provided by Dell or HP or whoever.
    It could also be a "volume" disc, which is used for installing XP in
    corporate or other environments where one disc is used on many
    computers. The discs for each of these have different code on them so
    they will only accept those specific types of keys. You cannot use
    the key printed on a sticker on your Compaq PC with a retail XP disc.

    Are you using a different disc than the one that came with your
    computer?
    S.SubZero, Dec 4, 2007

  3. Legs11

    Legs11 Guest

    Since microsoft wont provide me with another key im moving to ubuntu

    Legs11, Dec 4, 2007
  4. Legs11

    Ralph Guest

    If your machine and disc is Compaq, it shouldn't ask for activation.
    Either the install didn't happen correctly, or there's another problem.
    Contact Compaq.

    Ralph, Dec 4, 2007