    Rob

    --
    Rob M

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=, May 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    Ryan Younger Guest

    What type of encryption are you using (WEP/WPA)?
    If using WEP are you entering your key in hex or ASCII?
    What wireless adapter are you using on your client?
    Are you using Win XP SP2, fully patched?

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.

    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, May 15, 2006

  3. it was WEP 64bit, the router had several pre coded numbers, although not sure
    as to HEX or ASCII, one laptop connected fine (mine) but the other one would
    only connect with encryption set to "disabled", I got the "invalid IP
    Address" when I selected encrytion
    --
    Rob M

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=, May 15, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    RalfG Guest

    Not all WEP implementations work well together. Especially shared key
    passphrase type adapters mixed with manually entered key types.

    Try using an Open HEX key on both. If you don't know, ASCII is plain text,
    HEX is 2 alpha-numeric characters representing each character in the key..
    example:

    ASCII --- keytest
    equals HEX --- 6b 65 79 74 65 73 74 (excluding spaces)

    An online ASCII<->HEX converter can be found here:

    http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/

    RalfG, May 16, 2006
  5. sorry for the delay in responding I have only just gone back to my mates
    machine, basically I have tried HEX and ASCII and still the machine would
    only connect with encryption disabled, It also stays on "aquiring network
    address" for ages before reporting back "limited or no connection" I have
    tried the "ipconfig /all and used all the commands and I have also run a
    "WINSOCK" program

    I had simular problems with my laptop and my belkin router where I had
    invalid IP and on this one I added an alternate address on the wireless card
    but to be honest I dont know why I had to do this ???

    --
    Rob M

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=, May 22, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    RalfG Guest

    I had the same problems trying to connect a Linksys wireless G type USB
    adapter to a Dlink router. Basically the two used incompatible WEP
    encryption schemes. With Dlink the ASCII key is direct entry but Linksys
    used the ASCII as a passphrase system, IIRC. There were hardware
    incompatibilities as well so the Linksys never did get a consistent
    connection even without encryption. I also have a cheapie B type adapter as
    backup which is a Linksys clone. That one can connect to the router using
    WEP but only by using an Open key and entering a 64bit HEX key on the
    adapter. The adapter won't connect using a Shared key or with 128 bit
    encryption (WPA is not an option). I've since switched to all D-link
    adapters and there aren't any more encryption issues.

    RalfG, May 23, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    bubba@kilcomp

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    23
    I am using a Linksys WRT54G router and a dlink pcmcia card, a linksys usb adaptor, and a belkin usb adaptor. I have not had any problems with WEP. My suggestion is to ditch the D-Link router and get a Linksys (just my opinion)

    bubba@kilcomp, May 25, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    shanek1990

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    i have d-link router that i have encrypted with a wep key and using ASCII on a 64 bit and also have service pack 2. when i try to connect to the internet with a d-link adapter in my computer it says i have an invalid ip address and have limited or no connection. plz what do i do ?
    thx shane

    shanek1990, Jul 5, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIE0=?=

    shanek1990

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    guys i have found the answer winsockfix search this in google download for free and use it my comp works now

    shanek1990, Jul 15, 2007