  1. I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    John H. Power, Feb 3, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    KBob Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:31:21 -0500, John H. Power
    <> wrote:

    >I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    >there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    >one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    I use an Intuos 2 on a regular basis both the 4X5 and 12X18 sizes.
    They are the way to go if you're using Photoshop, and much better than
    the Graphire line. I configure the mouse to be in absolute mode (pen
    mode), it's a great mouse. You will probably want to change the pen
    buttons to suit your own style of working in Photoshop. There's no
    learning curve at all, sort of like falling off a log...

    KBob, Feb 3, 2004

  3. John H. Power

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    If you know how to use a pen you know how to use the tablet.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 3, 2004
  4. John H. Power

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    John H. Power <> wrote in

    > I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    > there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    > one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    Depends. As a input device for Photoshop it's great and I don't imagine you
    will have any problems.

    I have long abandoned a mouse for ALL windows navigation due to RSS and
    mousing. It took me a good week to get used to using it as my only pointing
    device but now I would never go back. If properly configured it's much
    quicker than a mouse and no more RSS issues.

    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 4, 2004
  5. John H. Power

    Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:15:27 GMT, Fuzzy Logic
    <> wrote:

    >John H. Power <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    >> there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    >> one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    >Depends. As a input device for Photoshop it's great and I don't imagine you
    >will have any problems.
    >
    >I have long abandoned a mouse for ALL windows navigation due to RSS and
    >mousing. It took me a good week to get used to using it as my only pointing
    >device but now I would never go back. If properly configured it's much
    >quicker than a mouse and no more RSS issues.

    I am slowly adapting but I miss the scroll button on a mouse

    , Feb 4, 2004
  6. John H. Power

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I keep a mouse on the left of my keyboard and occasionally use the scroll
    wheel and the buttons - I never use it as a positioning device except on
    those rare occasions when the tablet suddenly ceases function and vanishes
    from the system. It still takes a re-boot to get it back but at least it is
    a re-boot on my terms as opposed to immediately.

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 5, 2004
  7. John H. Power

    KBob Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:34:08 -0500, wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:15:27 GMT, Fuzzy Logic
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>John H. Power <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    >>> there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    >>> one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    >>Depends. As a input device for Photoshop it's great and I don't imagine you
    >>will have any problems.
    >>
    >>I have long abandoned a mouse for ALL windows navigation due to RSS and
    >>mousing. It took me a good week to get used to using it as my only pointing
    >>device but now I would never go back. If properly configured it's much
    >>quicker than a mouse and no more RSS issues.

    > I am slowly adapting but I miss the scroll button on a mouse

    With the Wacom tablets you shouldn't have to miss the scroll button on
    the mouse at all, since all their systems come with mouse units that
    are fully equipped. I didn't have good luck with a Graphire mouse (it
    fell apart after 3 months), but the Intuos mouse has been an excellent
    performer, and the pads larger than 4X5 come with a mouse having two
    additional buttons that you can assign, or you can purchase it as an
    option. So what you have is the best of all worlds: an excellent
    graphic pen, and a wireless (and batteryless) mouse that can be
    configured to track like the pen in linear fashion. I'd never go back
    to a regular mouse again!

    KBob, Feb 5, 2004
  8. John H. Power

    Frank Guest

    I have been using a 9" x12" -approx A4 Intuos 2 for 18 months now for
    photoshop work. The pad comes with quite good "help" files on disk. It has a
    few examples of exercises you can do with the pen to get used to drawing
    with it whilst looking at the screen. - A bit like touch typing. There are
    heaps of adjustments you can make in the driver for sensitivity, double
    clicking etc. playing around with these gives you good practise. Within a
    few days I found it difficult to go back to a mouse, even though it came
    with a very good 5 button scrolling mouse. I only use a mouse now for Word
    and for browsing the web. It is important to have a "backup" mouse somewhere
    on the table as I to have occaisionally had the pad lock up. However Norton
    Systemworks always Unfreezes it-using the other mouse, without having to
    reboot. The A4 sized tablet is actually too big I feel for photoshop work,
    masking etc. Your hand has to move over too large an area. A 6 x8" is
    probably ample. For painting etc though the A4 allows you to move your hand
    in smooth wide arcs, much like with a real pen, brush etc.
    So in brief, the learning curve is just about non existent. The only real
    problem you will have is if you ever have to use a computor for
    photoshopping without a tablet! Like trying to draw with a brick!!
    Good luck!
    Frank

    Frank, Feb 5, 2004
  9. John H. Power

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    wrote in

    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:15:27 GMT, Fuzzy Logic
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>John H. Power <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have never used a graphics tablet and mine is arriving today. Is
    >>> there going to be a fairly steep learning curveon this device or can
    >>> one get the hang of it fairly quickly?

    >>Depends. As a input device for Photoshop it's great and I don't imagine
    >>you will have any problems.
    >>
    >>I have long abandoned a mouse for ALL windows navigation due to RSS and
    >>mousing. It took me a good week to get used to using it as my only
    >>pointing device but now I would never go back. If properly configured
    >>it's much quicker than a mouse and no more RSS issues.

    > I am slowly adapting but I miss the scroll button on a mouse

    I have the top side button defined as PAGE DOWN and this works well for me.

    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 5, 2004