    wake up, while still running off the SD card.

    I'll see how the new KDE is: already I've noticed I don't have the ctrl-Fn
    shortcuts any more for switching between desktops. Ah well...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 11, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:02:52 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > It's now running KDE 4.1, and I was able to add the Compiz window
    > manager and get some 3D effects (like fade-in/fade-out of windows and
    > sliding desktop switches). But enabling other ones (like wobbly windows)
    > doesn't seem to do anything.
    >

    > I'll see how the new KDE is: already I've noticed I don't have the
    > ctrl-Fn shortcuts any more for switching between desktops. Ah well...

    I upgraded to Intrepid a week ago. My big complaint was KDE 4.1 being the
    default desktop manager. No option to use to KDE 3.5 pretty much had me
    wanting to downgrade back to Hardy.

    Fortunately I'm not alone in thinking like this. Even more fortunate is
    that people way more clever than me have set up a repository with
    instructions for removing KDE 4.1 from Intrepid and replacing it with the
    vastly superior KDE 3.5

    Worked like a charm and I'm back to being a happy penguin.
    Hopefully the Ubuntu developers will take note.

    The power of open source software :)

    Lodi
    Lodi, Nov 11, 2008

  3. In message <gfbg6p$kr5$>, Lodi wrote:

    > My big complaint was KDE 4.1 being the default desktop manager.

    It's different, but I'm still willing to give it a try.

    I previously had a disappearing taskbar under KDE 3.5 on the Eee to save
    screen space, but 4.1 doesn't support that. However, you can do without the
    taskbar, instead have plasmoids all over your desktop that you show/hide
    with ctrl-F12. I'll see if I can get used to that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 12, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > ... have plasmoids all over your desktop that you show/hide with ctrl-F12.

    Well, a bit of fun. One annoyance is that I can't have more than two desktops, for some reason: I can _try_ to configure more than two, but it doesn't have any effect.

    So instead of switching desktops, I'll simply have multiple application windows open on the same desktop, hiding each other; to switch applications, I just hit ctrl-F12 to get to the plasmoid layer, where I have a taskbar widget that shows me what apps are running, that I can use to select the one I want.

    And I found out how to enable additional Compiz effects: it's done through the "ccsm" utility, not through the normal KDE appearance control panel.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > ... have plasmoids all over your desktop that you show/hide with ctrl-F12.

    Lovely shiny pretty specular highlights. Until you rotate a plasmoid, and notice that the highlight rotates along with it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008