    be misused either by someone with access to the Intranet or by someone hacking in.

    His argument was that the information required could be used for identity theft.

    I'm struggling to find a specific case. Can anyone help?

    Studs Murphy, May 16, 2004

  2. In article <y3Jpc.50$Fk4.36@newsfe1-win>,
    says...
    > I have been asked to try to find an instance where personal details appearing on an
    > Intranet have been used to compromise someone's security or safety.
    >
    > The background is that someone was dismissed because he refused to provide personal
    > details (date of birth, etc.) to be published on an Intranet and refused to provide
    > details for security questions (mother's maiden name, etc.) on the grounds that this might
    > be misused either by someone with access to the Intranet or by someone hacking in.
    >
    > His argument was that the information required could be used for identity theft.
    >
    > I'm struggling to find a specific case. Can anyone help?

    I'd be interested in knowing the name of the company that fired someone
    over their refusal to allow their personal information to be published
    on the corporate intranet. That would make a great story about the
    cluelessness of some companies and their complete lack of regard for
    employee personal information.

    As for information about such behavior, google is loaded with it. Most
    major security sites and privacy sites will have information about the
    potential consequenses of posting employee personal information on an
    intranet. There are also numerous governments that have published
    information regarding the potential impact of such behaviour.

    As for any recent legal cases involving personal information on an
    intranet leading to liability, I am not aware of any. I think we're
    still waiting on the first one. But I have little doubt that when one
    appears the company will end up liable, especially if past actions have
    shown a blatent disregard for employee concerns about such.

    /steve
    --
    Check out Cotse's Privacy Watch.
    A comprehensive information resource.