  1. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    Raymond, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    there is these things called search engines
    learn to use them

    (i'm sorry but this sort of mindless question asking is stupid, it really is
    mindless)

    Geoff, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Raymond

    John Loop Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    An Intranet is usually understood to be a private "Internet," not accessible
    from the Real Internet, except thru firewalls.
    Most companies have intranets, and many are connected to the Internet thru a
    firewall of some sort. The Internet side of the firewall will have a Real
    Internet address. PCs on the Intranet typically have Private IP addresses
    [10 - 172.16, 192.168, address].
    You home network behind the NAT/router is an intranet.
    John--
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
    ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again..

    John Loop, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Raymond

    Simon Roth Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > Raymond wrote:
    >
    >> What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?
    >>

    > Internets (with a lowercase "i") combine LAN's, WAN's, and so forth.
    > Routing is an aspect of internetworking.
    >
    > Internet with a capital "I" refers to "the" internet that most people
    > are familiar with.
    >
    > I think intranet generally refers to an internal network, but I forget.
    >
    > michael

    I think intranet is a relatively big network in a company. I wouldn't
    call a network with five computers a intranet...

    Simon

    Simon Roth, Jul 13, 2004
  5. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Simon Roth wrote:
    > Michael wrote:
    >> Raymond wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?
    >>>

    >> Internets (with a lowercase "i") combine LAN's, WAN's, and so forth.
    >> Routing is an aspect of internetworking.
    >>
    >> Internet with a capital "I" refers to "the" internet that most people
    >> are familiar with.
    >>
    >> I think intranet generally refers to an internal network, but I
    >> forget.
    >>
    >> michael

    > I think intranet is a relatively big network in a company. I wouldn't
    > call a network with five computers a intranet...
    >
    > Simon

    i would
    intranet basicly means internet style network run internaly

    Geoff, Jul 13, 2004
  6. Raymond

    AG Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    From www.whatis.com

    "An intranet is a private network that is contained within an enterprise. It
    may consist of many interlinked local area networks and also use leased
    lines in the wide area network. Typically, an intranet includes connections
    through one or more gateway computers to the outside Internet. The main
    purpose of an intranet is to share company information and computing
    resources among employees. An intranet can also be used to facilitate
    working in groups and for teleconferences.

    An intranet uses TCP/IP, HTTP, and other Internet protocols and in general
    looks like a private version of the Internet. With tunneling, companies can
    send private messages through the public network, using the public network
    with special encryption/decryption and other security safeguards to connect
    one part of their intranet to another.

    Typically, larger enterprises allow users within their intranet to access
    the public Internet through firewall servers that have the ability to screen
    messages in both directions so that company security is maintained. When
    part of an intranet is made accessible to customers, partners, suppliers, or
    others outside the company, that part becomes part of an extranet. "

    Come on you guys, don't guess. If you don't know find out. If you don't
    know where to find out ask.
    AG

    AG, Jul 13, 2004
  7. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:36:52 +0100, "Geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Raymond wrote:
    >> What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    >there is these things called search engines
    >learn to use them
    >
    >(i'm sorry but this sort of mindless question asking is stupid, it really is
    >mindless)

    There is no such thing as a stupid question. At the very least, you
    have no idea of the context of why the question was asked rather than
    researched, so how could you know it's stupid?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Raymond

    MF Guest

    "Raymond" <> wrote in message
    > What is an intranet? How is it different from the internet?

    Ah, here's the answer:

    The internet is for the most part publicly accessible. It's a bunch of
    access points, routers, backbones and more routers that allow computers to
    connect with various servers; and in P to P, to each other. The servers
    have various things on them, including the World Wide Web, which is a bunch
    of websites accessed via the internet; and, also, ftp sites, mail servers,
    news servers (housing all this stuff here), and nowadays, collaboration
    servers, although these tend to be extranets -:) Is it all coming clear?

    The "what is" definition is wrong. They are simply defining a network. If
    the network were big enough, with enough subnets and routers, you might be
    justified in calling it an internetwork.

    An intranet is a specific thing: a server (or servers) __within a private
    network__ that run what have come to be called web services, which include
    web site(s), ftp sites, maybe a company bulletin board or callendar -
    although as we know all the big email server manufacturers (eg, msft,
    ibm-lotus) are fighting hard to establish themselves as providers of
    callendars and "bbs's" or collaboration servers.

    BTW if you have a mail server handling the company email, this does not
    constitute an intranet. It's just one more server on your network, along
    with your file server, your print server, your distribution server,
    etcetera. But, add a web server accessible only to your employees and you
    have an intranet.
    So at it's most basic, an intranet is a web server running a private website
    within a private network.

    I think someone mentioned that an intranet was like a private internet.
    That's a pretty crude description but it's basically true. Here's an
    example - say I have a little company with three buildings that have between
    them 10 to 12 floors, and everything is networked together.

    I do not have an intranet. I have a network. If i am taken by the
    ridiculous inflation of language that infects the computer industry, I might
    call it a CAN = campus area network. Or if the buildings are scattered
    around the country, I might call it a WAN.

    I do not have an intranet. I hire you to set up an intranet for me - why?
    Because an intranet is browser based, and therefore more comfortable for
    people - who will therefore use it much more often to find out what's going
    on within the company than they will use, oh, say, a Folder called Company
    on the K drive of a server called Zeus. Employees very quickly tire of
    looking for the folder called Company on the K drive of Zeus - even in MS
    environments, where it is easy.

    Unfortunately, I catch on that, until now, you didn't know what an intranet
    was, so I withdraw my offer. Now, for home work, it is your job to figure
    out and list what you will have to do to set up that intranet within my
    private network.

    And BTW, as far as an intranet is concerned, access in from or out to the
    public internet is completely irrelevant; I already have that set up - or I
    ripped it out completely after my sales staff downloaded 400 gigs of games
    and music one afternoon.

    For an extranet, however, access from outside is usually required, and has
    to be set up carefully.

    hth

    Mike

    MF, Jul 14, 2004
  9. Raymond

    J Guest

    he didn't mean it was stupid, rather, he was giving the old RTFM.....

    J, Jul 19, 2004
  10. On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 02:34:21 -0600, "J" <>
    wrote:

    >he didn't mean it was stupid, rather, he was giving the old RTFM.....
    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:36:52 +0100, "Geoff" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >there is these things called search engines
    >> >learn to use them
    >> >
    >> >(i'm sorry but this sort of mindless question asking is stupid, it really

    >is
    >> >mindless)
    >> >

    >> There is no such thing as a stupid question. At the very least, you
    >> have no idea of the context of why the question was asked rather than
    >> researched, so how could you know it's stupid?
    >>
    >> Tom

    a - I'd like to know how you can state that as a fact
    b - The word stupid is clearly used in his reply
    c - There's no "rather" involved here, he basically appears to have
    done both. Mutual exclusivity is more rare than some people think.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 19, 2004
  11. Raymond

    J Guest

    he didn't say what he meant, but I still knew what he meant, and no I can't
    state it as a fact, just take my word for it ;)

    J, Jul 19, 2004
  12. On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:57:04 -0600, "J" <>
    wrote:

    >he didn't say what he meant, but I still knew what he meant, and no I can't
    >state it as a fact, just take my word for it ;)

    Hmmm...I usually don't like to do that. Are you him, or do you know
    him? :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 19, 2004
  13. Raymond

    Geoff Guest

    Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:57:04 -0600, "J" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> he didn't say what he meant, but I still knew what he meant, and no
    >> I can't state it as a fact, just take my word for it ;)

    > Hmmm...I usually don't like to do that. Are you him, or do you know
    > him? :)
    >
    > Tom

    no he isn't, i did mean RTFM basicly
    it's called reading between the lines....

    Geoff, Jul 20, 2004
  14. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:01:43 +0100, "Geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:57:04 -0600, "J" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> he didn't say what he meant, but I still knew what he meant, and no
    >>> I can't state it as a fact, just take my word for it ;)

    >> Hmmm...I usually don't like to do that. Are you him, or do you know
    >> him? :)
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    >no he isn't, i did mean RTFM basicly
    >it's called reading between the lines....

    It's also called assumption, and it's the one of best ways I know to
    screw up communications, including screwing up a certification test
    because you think that reading between the lines ("your"
    interpretation) is the same as sticking with the literal meaning of a
    question. Breakdowns in communications can cause serious problems.

    If you meant RTFM, you possibly should've said RTFM. That would be
    direct communication with unmistakable meaning. "Stupid" also has
    unmistakable meaning, not necessarily consistent with RTFM.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Raymond

    J Guest

    you are right, assumption can mess up communitcation, and even more so in a
    capacity like tech support. however, the english language lacks the ability
    to completely define all messages being communicated, so assumption is
    necessary and integral. The way to communicate effectively is not to not
    assume anything, but rather to know when to assume something, and when not
    to. And that is why you misunderstood him, and I did not.

    J, Jul 21, 2004
  16. Raymond

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 21, 2004 "J" blathered:

    > The way to communicate effectively is not to not
    > assume anything, but rather to know when to assume something, and when
    > not to.

    Not to assume anything, but rather to know when to assume something?

    Does the term "oxymoron" mean anything to you?

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 21, 2004
  17. Raymond

    J Guest

    you misread, read it again.

    J, Jul 21, 2004
  18. Raymond

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 21, 2004 "J" blathered:

    > you misread, read it again.

    Ahhh... "The way to communicate effectively is (*)not(*) to not assume
    anything". My mistake. You know what they say about people who assume...

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 21, 2004
  19. On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 02:20:32 -0500, TechGeekPro <%username%@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 21, 2004 "J" blathered:
    >
    >> you misread, read it again.

    >Ahhh... "The way to communicate effectively is (*)not(*) to not assume
    >anything". My mistake. You know what they say about people who assume...

    Is it "Assume makes an ass out of u and me"? :)

    I agree that assumption is sometimes necessary, but when words with
    meaning as clear as "stupid" are used, no assumption should be
    necessary...unless the person is possibly trying to cover his/her butt
    after the fact. ;-)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 21, 2004
  20. Raymond

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 21, 2004 "Tom MacIntyre" blathered:

    > Is it "Assume makes an ass out of u and me"? :)

    I'm assuming that it's correct.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 21, 2004