    like it should.

    It was sealed, but there were no security stickers. The art on the disc
    looks fake, it doesn't have the Universal logo.
    Mr. KiTe, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Mr. KiTe

    jayembee Guest

    (Mr. KiTe) wrote:

    >I think I was sold a bootleg.

    Sounds like it.

    >Did this come with a chapter insert?

    Not really. There's an insert, but it's an advertisement for other
    Universal titles, not a chapter listing.

    >The bottom of the DVD is blue, does this mean I have a burned DVD-R?

    Yup.

    >It was sealed, but there were no security stickers.

    Universal always uses the side and bottom security stickers.

    >The art on the disc looks fake, it doesn't have the Universal logo.

    You definitely got screwed. Where'd you get it?

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Mr. KiTe

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mr. KiTe" <> wrote in message
    > I think I was sold a bootleg.
    >
    > Did this come with a chapter insert?

    Not a chapter listing, but it did come with an insert advertising some
    other Universal junk.

    > It was sealed, but there were no security stickers.

    A real sealed copy would have security stickers. Additionally, Universal
    is packaging it in a keepcase package that has plastic snaps on the
    opening side.

    > The art on the disc
    > looks fake, it doesn't have the Universal logo.

    The Universal logo isn't on the front cover, but should be found at the
    top of the spine, and again in the bottom right corner of the back
    cover.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Mr. KiTe

    Toshi1873 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I think I was sold a bootleg.
    >
    > Did this come with a chapter insert?
    >
    > The cover artwork is the same, says Region 1.
    >
    > The bottom of the DVD is blue, does this mean I have a burned DVD-R? Can
    > it be recorded over, is the quality less? I can't tell, everything works
    > like it should.

    Most likely, especially if it's a 4.7Gb disc (since I don't think dual-
    layer recordables are here just yet). Most commercial CDs are dual-
    layer AFAIK if they have more then 80 min of content.

    If it's DVD-R, then no, you can't record over top.

    Depending on the length of the movie and the extras, they'd have had to
    use a lower bitrate to fit everything on a 4.7Gb disc.
    Toshi1873, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Mr. KiTe

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Not a chapter listing, but it did come with an insert advertising some
    >other Universal junk.

    C'mon, I wouldn't call "Blood Simple", The Big Lebowski" and "The Man Who
    Wasn't There" "some other Universal junk".
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi
    CLOSEDOWN8, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Mr. KiTe

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >A real sealed copy would have security stickers. Additionally, Universal
    >is packaging it in a keepcase package that has plastic snaps on the
    >opening side.

    Not all of them do. My copy of LOST IN TRANSLATION has those funky
    tabs, but my copy of INTOLERABLE CRUELTY (bought at a Best Buy) is in
    a regular old keepcase.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Mr. KiTe

    Frank Ball Guest

    Toshi1873 <> wrote:
    } In article <>,
    } says...
    }> I think I was sold a bootleg.
    }>
    }> Did this come with a chapter insert?
    }>
    }> The cover artwork is the same, says Region 1.
    }>
    }> The bottom of the DVD is blue, does this mean I have a burned DVD-R? Can
    }> it be recorded over, is the quality less? I can't tell, everything works
    }> like it should.

    } Most likely, especially if it's a 4.7Gb disc (since I don't think dual-
    } layer recordables are here just yet). Most commercial CDs are dual-
    } layer AFAIK if they have more then 80 min of content.

    } If it's DVD-R, then no, you can't record over top.

    } Depending on the length of the movie and the extras, they'd have had to
    } use a lower bitrate to fit everything on a 4.7Gb disc.

    Most bootlegs are not DVD-Rs, this is a big high volume bisness.

    If it's a dual layer disc you should be able to detect the slight pause
    at the layer change in the middle of the movie. There should also be a
    difference in bit rates between a dual layer and single layer. Is the
    bitrate really low?

    Most bootlegs have the pressing number obliterated so they can't trace
    it back to the factory. Look at the bottom near the hole, is the number
    still there? Or is it destroyed? This is the best giveaway.

    Does it say DVD5 or DVD9 anywhere?

    Frank Ball
    Frank Ball, Feb 18, 2004